Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 09:07 AM

51 posts, read 98,915 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. My mother (age 73), sister (40s) and niece (16) will be visiting me for three days in August. They have never been to Nashville. Because of health problems, Mom isn't up for walking more than a block or so at a time. Also, I imagine it will be pretty warm outside. What are some sights I can show them that don't involve much walking? Standing on her feet for a long time isn't an option either, so I can't plan on visiting many museums (one or two across the visit may be ok). We'll probably do Country Music Hall of Fame and leave it at that for museums.

We'll do a driving tour of downtown, and I can drive them around Percy Warner Park, East Nashville and a couple other places that I think are interesting to see, but I am short on ideas other than those. Suggestions?

Oh yeah, I think they'd love to gander at the fancy homes in Belle Meade (and other areas? I'm new here too!). How can I find out what streets provide the best eye candy? I am only familiar with main arteries and I assume there are better streets/neighborhods I don't know about.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 09:31 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
August heat and lack of mobility: Those are some difficult circumstances to work around.

Is there a way to get a wheelchair or other motorized aid for touring museums? I just hate to think of your mom being in the car most of the time.

If not, I can offer some of my favorite streets to tour. I know Country Girl will be on here soon for other suggestions.

Curtiswood Drive, to see estates and Governor's Mansion

Love Circle

Page Road

Old Smyrna Road in Brentwood

Moran Road in Franklin

Old 07-16-2012, 10:18 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,991 times
We bought a travel wheelchair from Walgreens for $99. If you want to borrow it for the weekend, you are welcome to! It sort of folds down and will fit in the trunk. Still, I would just use it to get in and out of air conditioned places . . . rather than rolling her down Broadway. Even sitting in a chair in the heat will be uncomfortable for long stretches. I use it to get my Mom and and out of the movies. Whenever we go it's always Theater #20 all the way in the back.

My Mom (88) read The Widow of the South before we moved here which is a great book about the area . . . and then I drove her past Carnton (you can see the front of the house from the parking lot) and then in front of the Civil War cemetery which is numbing.

Green Hills mall is very swanky and a good place for a roll around . . you can eat at the Cheesecake factory. I haven't been too impressed with the little restaurant at Nordstrom's. There's also a Panera. it's bright and airy and your Mom could sit on a bench and people watch while others shop.

The Frist Museum is nice . . . they have a quilt exhibit and a nice cafe with a view of the outside.

Where Concord Road hits Franklin Road, off to the West, you'll see huge houses. Ungated so you can drive up around those streets. We took a Christmas lights tour and went up around there. You can't get lost as all the streets eventually curve around back to Franklin Rd.

Also Chickerling (Page comes off of it) over by Cheekwood has some impressive houses. That triangle one is there? Very modern. You can't miss it. You can drive over to Percy Priest . . . there's a marina that has a restaurant that might be nice?

I drove my Mom down Broadway, past the new Music center construction, and past the Parthenon, past Vandy . . . .

Loveless Cafe has a ramp and is pretty good for atmosphere but I wouldn't go on a weekend.

Downtown Franklin is pretty to go up and down and is over by Carnton. Sometimes you can find parking in front of Pucketts, which also has a lot of Southern atmosphere, or the parking garage is right across the street.

Honestly, you're welcome to borrow our wheelchair. Just PM me. My Mom kinda hates it BUT it gets here where she needs to go. I even pushed her on dirt and gravel to see a Civil War reenactment. BUMPY RIDE! My Mom deals with it by wearing big Jackie O glasses. She knows about 5 people in this town but is still rather self conscience about it.

Hey Wmsn4Life . . .how did you know???

Old 07-16-2012, 10:26 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Girl, I knew this would be just up your alley.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:06 PM

65 posts, read 142,263 times
Default Why I think I'm gonna love Nashville

On how many other major city boards on City-Data would you find someone like CountryGirl offering to lend someone their personal motorized wheelchair???

Do you guys all personally know each other????

Either way-props to you-this is one of main reasons we are moving to Nashville in August...the great people!

Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 PM

51 posts, read 98,915 times
Default I do love the South

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick92170 View Post
On how many other major city boards on City-Data would you find someone like CountryGirl offering to lend someone their personal motorized wheelchair???

Do you guys all personally know each other????

Either way-props to you-this is one of main reasons we are moving to Nashville in August...the great people!
Heh heh, no, Maverick, we don't know each other...but it's the South - we're all just friends who haven't met each other yet! Looking forward to you and yours getting down here in August. Big welcome in advance.

Thank you, Country Girl, for the offer. I'll PM you. Love the description of your mom Jackie O'ing it. Made me laugh.

And thanks, Wmsn4Life, for the street names - we'll definitely check those out!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:48 PM

Wachin - sorry, it's NOT motorized, but it is rather zippy. Someone has to push it though. It's burgundy colored!

Mav - I do have to say this is one of the nicer boards. I go back to the CT board (where I moved from) and there's a lot of negativity. People are friendly here, even the ones you haven't met yet!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:53 PM

722 posts, read 2,100,590 times
how about some of those air conditioned bus (more like airport shuttle type bus) tours or the General Jackson.
Enjoy the Sights in Nashville Tennessee - Nashville Tours, Nashville Sightseeing

Old 07-17-2012, 06:41 AM

65 posts, read 142,263 times
Default I'm from AL, but moving from ATL

Oh yeah, I grew up in the Deep South, lived in AL for 30 years...

Atlanta has made me QUITE cynical, I'm afraid...

Nashville still seems to have the "Southern Hospitality" down that I think Atlanta lost a long, long time ago...

Very good...

Old 07-17-2012, 09:30 AM

I think the air conditioned bus tour is a great idea!

Mav . . . Nashville isn't the "deep" South is it? I am guessing not. What are the differences between the 'deep' South and the . . . new?. . . South????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville