Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:37 PM

7 posts, read 6,973 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband died recently and we're planning to leave Frederick, MD (which we really like) to be near my mom and my brother's family (he has kids around my daughter's age). She's nine. My mom lives in Bellevue and my brother in Pegram.

I've done some research and am feeling a little frustrated.

At first, I decided on Sumner County (which my mom was very unhappy about since its so far and she wants to help with childcare, meals, etc.). Then, I thought about Franklin which she said is also too far for her to drive. My mom is over 60--I understand and feel that her position is reasonable. We can move to Williamson or Sumner but won't see her as much.

I haven't even been to Nashville to look and will be staying in Franklin (in a rental) for a whole week starting next week. I feel (based on posts I've seen here) that I must choose between a stable neighborhood (middle school) for my daughter and being close to my mom. We can't afford private school. My daughter is bright and could probably test into magnet, but I'm not sure about that either. I was thinking about city neighborhood's (Sylvan Park or others).

Hopefully, I can make it work financially. My income is limited $2,000 per month with at least 1/2 down to put towards the first year's rent. Within a year I should have a job. I'm looking at $800 - $1200 per month range. I was hoping to find an MLS rental and have an agent who would really like to work with me.

Finally, the clincher is that my daughter is half-black half-white, and I would prefer her not to go to a school that isn't at least 15-20% minority population (but maybe I will have to be flexible on this).

Frustrating, because everything we need we have here, but its not near my family.

Opinions are welcome. I know its a complicated picture so will consider any opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 02:46 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,846,067 times
Well if you do decide on Bellevue, Hillwood HS is one of the better metro high schools although it doesn't stack up as well next to Sumner and especially Williamson schools. I'm not too sure about the Bellevue area middle schools, though.

What about Fairview? It's pretty rural but the school system still rates highly and its somewhat close to Bellevue.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:54 PM

Default I'm not sure

I'm not sure, I'm looking into Lexington, KY Maybe it won't have the school problems but would still be close enough for a long weekend.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:56 PM

How can you go as far away as Lexington if you can't do Franklin or Hendersonville?

Old 02-29-2012, 05:23 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,550,982 times
Is there any reason your mom can't move in with your or closer?

I would recommend Franklin Special School District if you want good schools and racial diversity.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:12 AM

I could. It's just wanting the best of all worlds I suppose. Nothing will be everything.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 AM

610 posts, read 1,625,077 times
First off, I'm very sorry for your loss. Moving near family is definitely a good thing to do.
I really think that once you stay in your rental in Franklin, you'll like the area and possibly stay there, if you can find a cheaper rental. All of Williamson County schools are good. Fairview is also in Williamson Co.
West of Nashville is Dickson Co, I'm not sure how their schools are, but the area is a bit more rural and would be cheaper rentals.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:40 AM

Thank you for the responses on Fairview and Williamson county. I will also research the magnet programs in Davidson. I noticed there was an arts school. I know my daughter would love that.

I would be willing to give up "academic rigor" because I think my daughter is smart enough to do well with some outside assistance or tutoring even if she isn't as challenged in school, but it would have to be a middle school with a good/safe overall environment. I'm not discounting Davidson county until I see for myself.

Any input on Davidson County middle schools. Are they all as bad as everyone says?

Old 02-29-2012, 08:45 AM

Several Nashville high schools and middle schools offer the IB program. That's academic rigor at its best. I believe Nashville is the only system in the state with IB middle school programs. If your daughter is motivated and you are committed to her education, she can succeed and even thrive in Nashville's schools.

In the MNPS (Nashville) system the following middle schools offer the International Baccalaureate Program: Goodlettsville, Bellevue. Brick Church, J.T. Moore, Neely's Bend, and West End. These feed into Hillsboro and Hunters Lane High Schools which also offer the program.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:06 AM

Hi, I'm looking at Shayne Elementary, Granbery (sp) Elementary, and William Henry Oliver Middle. These are in Davidson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville