Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 07:58 AM

58 posts, read 202,351 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently got an Australian Shepherd. He is a wonderful dog, but is EXTREMELY energetic. We have been looking at getting a fence, but our neighborhood requires a black aluminum metal fence to go with their HOA guidelines. We're fine with this because it looks nice, but want to make sure we aren't paying too much.

The size of the fence is 54 inches tall and 233 linear feet and we're looking at one six foot gate. I've been quoted by several small companies anywhere from $4700 to $5100. Lowe's came out and quoted me $5100, but we have a movers 10% off coupon that brings it down to $4900 (discount can't be applied to labor). Also, I looked at installing it myself, but after materials and tax (you get charged tax to buy the materials yourself, but having it installed is completely tax free), the difference was only $1000 and was not worth my busy time. I'm feeling like we're going to go with Lowes since it's around the lowest price we had and we have the backing of a big company with a lifetime warranty, but before I officially pull the trigger I wanted to know if anyone else knew of a much cheaper price we could get one? I appreciate any advice! This is not a cheap investment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 08:16 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,564,015 times
That's about what I paid for my black aluminum fence. I can't remember how many feet. I got 3 quotes and they all came within a few hundered of each other.

A couple suggestions, walk around your neighborhood and see whose fences still look good after a couple years. Our fence installer was SLOW but who am I to talk, I'm not the one digging holes in red clay in 95 degree temps :-). However, they were meticulous in making sure everything was level, etc. I'd also spring for self closing gates. You don't want to lose your dog if the lawn guy accidently leaves the gate open. Lastly, this is personal preferences, but I think the gates look nicer if you spring for the rounded arch topped gate vs the flat top.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
That's about what I paid for my black aluminum fence. I can't remember how many feet. I got 3 quotes and they all came within a few hundered of each other.

A couple suggestions, walk around your neighborhood and see whose fences still look good after a couple years. Our fence installer was SLOW but who am I to talk, I'm not the one digging holes in red clay in 95 degree temps :-). However, they were meticulous in making sure everything was level, etc. I'd also spring for self closing gates. You don't want to lose your dog if the lawn guy accidently leaves the gate open. Lastly, this is personal preferences, but I think the gates look nicer if you spring for the rounded arch topped gate vs the flat top.
I appreciate the tips. It's a little comforting to know that I'm not getting charged way too much. For some reason, I had it in my head that I was going to be able to find an installation in the $3500 range. I guess that might have been the case years ago. The fences in the neighborhood all look great to me when I go running. I'm assuming as long as you don't hit them with your weed-eater they sort of take care of themselves? The gate we are being offered from Lowe's is two 4 foot gates that will open french door style. I think it looks neat, but they aren't self closing unfortunately. I'll ask about that.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:28 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,564,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderstudent View Post
I appreciate the tips. It's a little comforting to know that I'm not getting charged way too much. For some reason, I had it in my head that I was going to be able to find an installation in the $3500 range. I guess that might have been the case years ago. The fences in the neighborhood all look great to me when I go running. I'm assuming as long as you don't hit them with your weed-eater they sort of take care of themselves? The gate we are being offered from Lowe's is two 4 foot gates that will open french door style. I think it looks neat, but they aren't self closing unfortunately. I'll ask about that.
It isn't something I thought about but the guy I liked the best (middle priced of the three--and the one I hired) asked if we had a lawn guy. I said yes and he said I needed a gate X wide. I have 2 gates. One seems normal sized but the other is wide enough to get a professional mower through. (maybe 4').

Old 02-16-2012, 09:22 AM

593 posts, read 1,359,994 times
We had ours done by the Home Depot guys, and no complaints. My only caution -- make sure you know if your quoted price is firm or if there's a so-called "tough dig" surcharge that might be tacked on. As in, does it cost extra if they have to jackhammer through rock before they can set a post deep enough? Much of Middle Tennessee is a few inches of soil and clay on top of solid rock, so we ended up with the surcharge for every single post! But our rep was up front about the charge and the likelihood of it occurring, so we were able to factor it into the cost before signing the papers.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExIslander View Post
We had ours done by the Home Depot guys, and no complaints. My only caution -- make sure you know if your quoted price is firm or if there's a so-called "tough dig" surcharge that might be tacked on. As in, does it cost extra if they have to jackhammer through rock before they can set a post deep enough? Much of Middle Tennessee is a few inches of soil and clay on top of solid rock, so we ended up with the surcharge for every single post! But our rep was up front about the charge and the likelihood of it occurring, so we were able to factor it into the cost before signing the papers.
They were trying to charge us $500 for the rock in our yard, but I was backing away and they said they wouldn't charge if that would be a deal breaker. So it looks like my end price will be $4900.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville