Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 03:21 PM

263 posts, read 615,328 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. I was recently hired to work in downtown Franklin. I live in Mount Juliet. I can't move for a couple of months, so I need your help. I know there's really no easy way from MJ to Franklin, but surely some ways are a bit quicker than others.

So my goals for the morning commute are: 1) to get off I-40 as soon as possible, and 2) to get on I-65 as soon as possible.

I've tried a couple of routes so far. The first was I-40 to Donelson Pike, then on to Harding Place. Unfortunately, once I got to the intersection of Harding and Nolensville, traffic was backed up as far as I could see. I decided to go south on Nolensville and then used Old Hickory to get to I-65 in Brentwood. Total commute time = 1 hr, 15 min.

The second route was I-40 to Briley Parkway, then down to Thompson Lane, then on to I-65. I drove this around noon, so I have no idea how traffic is on this route during rush hour. At noon, the total commute time = 55 min. I suspect it will take much longer with heavy morning traffic.

In looking at Google maps, it looks like there are a few other possibilities. For example, I was looking at Donelson Pike to Nolensville Pike, then Edmondson Pike to Old Hickory or Concord Road. Google estimates 1 hr. for the Edmonson to Concord route. Again, though, I have no idea how heavy traffic is around the Concord Road exit in the morning.

So, again, my situation is not ideal, but it's what I have to work with for the next couple of months. I'm ok with an hour commute, but I hate the idea of spending an hour and a half in the car every morning.

Please, please, any suggestions you might have (aside from moving) are very, very welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 03:44 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,074,140 times
Whereabouts in Mt. Juliet are you? Would it not be easier to just take 840 to I-65, then take Columbia Highway into Franklin?

It's a long drive either way,and you may need to backtrack to get to 840 at Lebanon, but it might be better than going through town.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Whereabouts in Mt. Juliet are you? Would it not be easier to just take 840 to I-65, then take Columbia Highway into Franklin?

It's a long drive either way,and you may need to backtrack to get to 840 at Lebanon, but it might be better than going through town.
Hi, Wmsn4Life. I live in Providence right beside the interstate. I thought about 840, but I wasn't sure about it.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:57 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,556,164 times
840 would be my suggestion too.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:01 PM

I don't think you mentioned what time you need to leave, but I've traveled 840 from Franklin to Murfreesboro between 7:30 and 8, and it was much less congested than 65 or I-40.

It's a thought, anyway. Maybe try it once and see what you think.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:00 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,349,326 times
A third route may be to take I-40 to I-440 to I-65. Expect a lot of slow traffic from the airport to 440 & the segment of 440 between 24 & 65. There may be some work to expand this section of 440.

The better route may be to use Briley Parkway/Thompson from 40 to 65. At least you avoid the airport traffic.

any of there routes is better than taking I-40 to the south loop & I-65.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:30 PM

593 posts, read 1,358,018 times
I live in Mt. Juliet but don't have to commute, thankfully. As you've found, there's no perfect answer. The quickest way to Franklin on a no-traffic day is what GWoodle said, I-40 to I-440 to I-65. That's not much fun during rush hour, but then, nothing is. If you're looking for a back way from where you are, you could try heading south on Mt. Juliet Road, following it as it becomes Hobson Pike, crosses Murfreesboro Road and I-24, and eventually ends at Nolensville Road. You'd be just a few blocks from the far end of Concord Road and could follow that in, but I think Concord gets pretty jammed. The way with the least traffic is going to be what others suggested, heading east to 840 and following it around to the Franklin exit -- just realize you're looking at 60 miles each way.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:09 PM

Hey everyone -- Thanks so much for your suggestions. After trying several routes, I think I've found the two that work best for me. The route I use to get there (through Brentwood) is great in the morning time, but is lousy in the afternoon. So this afternoon, I took a convoluted backroads route that got me home in 55 minutes -- which is about as good as I could hope for, I think.

One question, though...

What's the deal with the one-lane railroad bridge on Wilson Pike?

I saw my life flash before my eyes as I passed through that thing only to find a huge pickup truck staring right at me on the other side. What's the proper etiquette for passing under that bridge? Should I blow my horn to let people on the other side know I'm there? I love the route, but that thing is scary as heck.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:29 PM

Isn't it great? LOL

Believe it or not, there used to be two tunnels cars had to pass through to travel Wilson Pike until the city got the state to realign the road during construction of Ravenwood High.

Yes, you should approach slowly and honk your horn, then pass through slowly.

I personally prefer back roads and try always to take them. My kids make fun of me because I rarely travel to and from a place the same way (unless it's someplace I go regular like Kroger). I just find back roads more interesting too.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:32 PM

195 posts, read 525,860 times
Now that the OP has his answer, I wish to hijack this thread with the kind indulgence of the OP to ask something similar.

Best drive from Mt Juliet to Great Circle Road? and back? Assume I'm at Exit 221 (Hermitage) along I-40 at 7:15am. For the afternoon going home, assume I leave 5:30p.m. from Great Circle Road.

TIA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville