Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 09:56 AM

3 posts, read 4,261 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Nashville within a couple of months to start a new job and need suggestions on locations and apartments. My office will be on the east side of Nashville on Elm Hill Pike close to Spence Lane

I'm in my mid 20s and looking in the $600 - $800 range. I don't care if its small. I'm more interested in the complex being nice and having a good fitness center and available garages.

I've heard good things about the Brentwood, Bellevue, and Franklin areas. How would the commute be for these areas? I start the day at 7 and leave at 4:30. So hopefully I'll avoid most of the traffic. I've also heard to stay away from the Antioch and the airport area. I haven't heard much about north Nasvhille, but would probably rather stay south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 11:40 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,337,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironvol12 View Post
I will be moving to Nashville within a couple of months to start a new job and need suggestions on locations and apartments. My office will be on the east side of Nashville on Elm Hill Pike close to Spence Lane

I'm in my mid 20s and looking in the $600 - $800 range. I don't care if its small. I'm more interested in the complex being nice and having a good fitness center and available garages.

I've heard good things about the Brentwood, Bellevue, and Franklin areas. How would the commute be for these areas? I start the day at 7 and leave at 4:30. So hopefully I'll avoid most of the traffic. I've also heard to stay away from the Antioch and the airport area. I haven't heard much about north Nasvhille, but would probably rather stay south.
South side (Brentwood area/Franklin) isn't the worst commute to the east side...but you might find it difficult. Bellevue is slightly closer than Franklin to that area...but I honestly think it would take longer commute-wise to get there, because you have to deal with cross town traffic...either going through downtown, or taking 440 (I would think 440 would be best, even though it can be quite crowded).

Brentwood itself does not have apartments...but there are some that are very close in Franklin in the Cool Springs area. Cool Springs definitely has the advantage on most areas when it comes to access to amenities. You might not be especially close to work, but when you're home, it will be easy to get to just about everything you would need.

The drawback to the south side is that it is more desirable than most other areas...so the rent is generally higher. $600-800 isn't impossible...but it can be a stretch. I would guess that most of the older complexes, with fewer amenities would fall into that range there. You would be choosing location over amenities in that case.

My suggestion would be to look closer to where you work...Donelson or Hermitage are on the east side of town, and would provide you with a considerably closer commute. You'll save big on gas, because your commute will be perhaps 1/3 (or less) of time and distance than Franklin or Bellevue. Less gas money spent means more to spend on other things (or save...).

To find out if this would be a good fit for you...tell us a little bit more about yourself.

Married or single? Kids?

Aside from amenities within your apartment complex, what is important to you as far as the amenities in the surrounding community (shopping, restaurants, services, parks, sports and entertainment, etc.)?

Is it important for you to be closer to nightlife? If so...what sort of nightlife are you interested in?

Are you interested in owning a home in the near future, or do you just plan to rent for the time being?

No area is completely perfect when it comes to crime...but from your perspective, what sort of level of crime would make a place uncomfortable or unlivable?

Which is more appealing to you...hip and trendy (a "happening" place), or quiet and reserved (just a nice quiet place to call home)?

What sort of neighbors would you prefer (not just the apartment complex, but surrounding community)?
Indicate any and all that apply:
-young professionals
-young families
-singles
-white collar
-blue collar
-retirees
-diverse
-other categories
-not a major consideration

Knowing a little more about you helps us find you the best possible fit.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
South side (Brentwood area/Franklin) isn't the worst commute to the east side...but you might find it difficult. Bellevue is slightly closer than Franklin to that area...but I honestly think it would take longer commute-wise to get there, because you have to deal with cross town traffic...either going through downtown, or taking 440 (I would think 440 would be best, even though it can be quite crowded).

Brentwood itself does not have apartments...but there are some that are very close in Franklin in the Cool Springs area. Cool Springs definitely has the advantage on most areas when it comes to access to amenities. You might not be especially close to work, but when you're home, it will be easy to get to just about everything you would need.

The drawback to the south side is that it is more desirable than most other areas...so the rent is generally higher. $600-800 isn't impossible...but it can be a stretch. I would guess that most of the older complexes, with fewer amenities would fall into that range there. You would be choosing location over amenities in that case.

My suggestion would be to look closer to where you work...Donelson or Hermitage are on the east side of town, and would provide you with a considerably closer commute. You'll save big on gas, because your commute will be perhaps 1/3 (or less) of time and distance than Franklin or Bellevue. Less gas money spent means more to spend on other things (or save...).

To find out if this would be a good fit for you...tell us a little bit more about yourself.

Married or single? Kids?

Aside from amenities within your apartment complex, what is important to you as far as the amenities in the surrounding community (shopping, restaurants, services, parks, sports and entertainment, etc.)?

Is it important for you to be closer to nightlife? If so...what sort of nightlife are you interested in?

Are you interested in owning a home in the near future, or do you just plan to rent for the time being?

No area is completely perfect when it comes to crime...but from your perspective, what sort of level of crime would make a place uncomfortable or unlivable?

Which is more appealing to you...hip and trendy (a "happening" place), or quiet and reserved (just a nice quiet place to call home)?

What sort of neighbors would you prefer (not just the apartment complex, but surrounding community)?
Indicate any and all that apply:
-young professionals
-young families
-singles
-white collar
-blue collar
-retirees
-diverse
-other categories
-not a major consideration

Knowing a little more about you helps us find you the best possible fit.
I'm single and don't have kids. I would like to be in an area with other young professionals. I'm not really into the club and bar scene. More into the church scene. Part of the reason I'm wanting to stay south is becasue I've heard great things about Brentwood Baptist.

As far as surrounding amenities, I'd like to be near grocery, pharmacy, restaurants, and a gym if the apartment doesn't have a decent one. Places i can get to quickly.

I want to be in a safe area and I want the comlex to be gated. I really want to find a place with a garage.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I'm single and don't have kids. I would like to be in an area with other young professionals. I'm not really into the club and bar scene. More into the church scene. Part of the reason I'm wanting to stay south is becasue I've heard great things about Brentwood Baptist.

As far as surrounding amenities, I'd like to be near grocery, pharmacy, restaurants, and a gym if the apartment doesn't have a decent one. Places i can get to quickly.

I want to be in a safe area and I want the comlex to be gated. I really want to find a place with a garage.
I think Cool Springs (the area where Brentwood and Franklin meet) might be more in line with what you are looking for...though I don't know if $600-800 is all that reasonable for a newer complex. It seems like a lot of the newer places run closer to $1,000/month...but you might be able to find something by calling around.

Someone who is more familiar with the apartments around there might be able to point you in the right direction.

Btw, ironvol...where are you moving from?

Old 01-02-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I think Cool Springs (the area where Brentwood and Franklin meet) might be more in line with what you are looking for...though I don't know if $600-800 is all that reasonable for a newer complex. It seems like a lot of the newer places run closer to $1,000/month...but you might be able to find something by calling around.

Someone who is more familiar with the apartments around there might be able to point you in the right direction.

Btw, ironvol...where are you moving from?
I'm moving from Florence, Alabama. I'm originally from a little town in Wayne County TN about 2 hrs south of Nashville.

How's the Cane Ridge area? There are a couple of complexes I've found that seem nice in that area. The Springs at Mountain View and Vantage Point at Franklin Heights.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I'm moving from Florence, Alabama. I'm originally from a little town in Wayne County TN about 2 hrs south of Nashville.

How's the Cane Ridge area? There are a couple of complexes I've found that seem nice in that area. The Springs at Mountain View and Vantage Point at Franklin Heights.
I've only been through Wayne County a couple of times (on my way to Savannah, TN & Shiloh). Never been to Florence, AL, though.

I think Cane Ridge is fine. Some will tell you it's just another name for lower Antioch (in a negative way)...but those are the same people that throw the Antioch label on everything in southeast Davidson County.

I have no idea about the specific complexes you mentioned. It might be a good idea to call each of them up and see if you can't set up some tours where you can come up and check them all out at once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville