Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:56 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,947,718 times

Advertisements

Drove thru the city again just a couple of days ago and once again was struck by how quickly you go from rural countryside to WHAM! downtown coming into the city on I-24. There's hardly anything beyond Briley Parkway on that side of town, yet now it seems you have to drive 30-40 miles past Murf-boro on the southside before getting past all the new growth, development. WHAT GIVES? Being from Atlanta, of course, it just seems very strange to me that there's still so much rural land so close to Nashville's city center.

SPEAKING OF NASHVILLE'S CITY CENTER: It's a shame that such a lovely skyline is marred by all those dirty, ugly waste metal / salvage / junk yards along the interstate. Is there any effort underway to redevelop that industrial area? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 11:20 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,345,458 times
1) There is little development on the northwest side due to the landscape. Nashville is in the northwest corner of what is called the Nashville basin (geologically, technically a collapsed dome). The "Highland Rim" completely surrounds the city. It begins almost immediately to the north and west of the city, andabout 50 miles east of the city (around the Smith/Putnam County line on I-40), and about 80-90 miles south (near Alabama). So in essence, the city has grown along the path of least resistance. Rutherford County (Murfreesboro/Smyrna) is relatively flat compared to the other counties, which is one of the reasons it is experiencing the most explosive growth in the region.

nashville - Google Maps

This should give you a bit of an idea of what I'm talking about. It's not just a matter of some rolling hills or ridges that can be built on...running a road network (and other infrastructure) through that would be very costly...hence why developers have been primarily drawn to the south, southeast, east, and northeast sides of the city.

2) The metal scrapyard has long been an eyesore that citizens and city leaders alike want to get rid of...but doing so is kind of tricky. It has been there so long, the ground may have metal contamination, which would hamper any redevelopment project. Aside from that, the east bank of the river is quite flood prone, and so I doubt you would ever see any type of big money major development happen there...I think it's potential is pretty much a large city park...which, as I said before, could be an issue if the ground is too contaminated.

It's an unfortunate location for such a thing, and mars one of the better skyline views of the city....but fortunately there isn't really anything else like that right around downtown.

Last edited by nashvols; 07-23-2011 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: added more info

Old 07-22-2011, 11:33 PM

940 posts, read 1,903,833 times
1. There are no towns between Nashville and Clarksville, 50 miles separate the two downtowns.
2. Limestone bedrock in that area very close to the surface has hindered development.
3. The hills in the area you refer to are pretty intense, with very little space for easy development. The chicken and egg thing has to be overcome as subdivisions go in slowly because of not much in the way of services and retail out that way, but it is happening. And Beaman Park was established out there a couple of years ago when a prominent family donated a thousand beautiful acres of hill country.
4. The north side of Nashville is historically the most economically disadvantaged in the whole metro, putting attractive retail and services hard to reach from the region discussed.

Here is a post by me on that area. See the answer by another poster: https://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...l#post19837222

As Nashville gentrifies I'm sure 30 years will transform that area, it is too naturally beautiful not to attract residents.

Last edited by groovamos; 07-22-2011 at 11:57 PM..

Old 07-23-2011, 05:57 AM

569 posts, read 1,426,513 times
Another thing about PSC Metals (the scrapyard). I live in District 6 (East Nashville) and we are in the middle of an election for a new city council member. When I've gone to debates....getting rid of the scrapyard is a hot topic. It's very difficult, because that business makes money and they like where they are. From what I've heard, the city has offered to give them land somewhere else on the river and they still say no. I'm not sure what the outcome will ever be...but you can rest assured that it's a constant ongoing battle and a source of irritation.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:25 AM

46 posts, read 135,637 times
Default Three Cheers for Rivers and Limestone

One of the things that I enjoy most about Nashville is that you can enjoy the urban parts of the city and then enjoy a beautiful rural drive within a stone's throw from downtown. I love that contrast of city and rural views and the way that Nashville still manages to retain a rare nature-centered appeal because of its beautiful parks and uncluttered vantage points.

Three cheers for the rivers, creeks, limestone and hills preventing developers from transforming its natural beauty into ugly urban sprawl! Why is it that people say "the view is so beautiful here" and then ruin it by building ugly subdivisions to ruin it by building on every square inch of land that exists? Is it possible to actually preserve a little undeveloped land so that the residents can enjoy an uncluttered view of natural rural beauty?

Old 07-23-2011, 08:27 AM

13,358 posts, read 39,999,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
Another thing about PSC Metals (the scrapyard). I live in District 6 (East Nashville) and we are in the middle of an election for a new city council member. When I've gone to debates....getting rid of the scrapyard is a hot topic. It's very difficult, because that business makes money and they like where they are. From what I've heard, the city has offered to give them land somewhere else on the river and they still say no. I'm not sure what the outcome will ever be...but you can rest assured that it's a constant ongoing battle and a source of irritation.
Wasn't there a group a few years ago who proposed building a theme park at the PSC Metals site? If I remember correctly, they demanded millions in subsidies from the city, and of course PSC Metals wasn't going to just walk away quietly from their prime location. I think it was a dumb idea anyway so I wasn't surprised that it never took off.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-23-2011, 08:33 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,846,347 times
Personally, I think it's awesome how quickly you go from downtown to rural hill country on I-24 West and I-40 West. It's a beautiful part of the city that needs to be preserved as such.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:27 AM

569 posts, read 1,426,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Wasn't there a group a few years ago who proposed building a theme park at the PSC Metals site? If I remember correctly, they demanded millions in subsidies from the city, and of course PSC Metals wasn't going to just walk away quietly from their prime location. I think it was a dumb idea anyway so I wasn't surprised that it never took off.
I think there was talk about a theme park at one point. There have been so many different discussions about that property. The city IS building a small water park on the river at the base of the Shelby Street pedestrian bridge and it's rehabbing that building that sits next to the bridge to use for Metro Parks offices. I think those things are to be finished late summer early fall. It will be a nice addition...but it's not going to detract much from the big pile of scrap metal.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:08 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
Cheatham County is actively trying to promote economic development there. When you're there, it does seen very remote to be that close to Nashville.

Maybe this effort will help growth:

Move Your Business to Cheatham County Tennessee near Nashville - Economic Development

Old 07-23-2011, 11:49 AM

940 posts, read 1,903,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altereco View Post
Why is it that people say "the view is so beautiful here" and then ruin it by building ugly subdivisions to ruin it by building on every square inch of land that exists?
Because people want to live in beautiful places. I hope thats OK with you, really. Part of the reason people are moving to Nashville is because it has transformed itself into a beautiful place with the help of the geography. Trust me, you will like the amenities, dining and entertainment there upgraded, as the city expands. I'm in Houston and we just moved up a notch to the #5 metro in population, and this place has really improved in many ways in the last 22 years since I arrived.

Another case in point: The Los Angeles basin, surrounded by the Santa Monica mountains (Hollywood Hills are its foothills), the ocean, the San Gabriel MountainsSan Gabriel Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and the Palos Verdes Peninsula, became the economic powerhouse that it did because of the spectacular natural beauty of the region. I'm sure this is all relevant since this is an urban oriented website. And they didn't build on every square inch of land either, because I go backpacking in the Sierras and can testify to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altereco View Post
Is it possible to actually preserve a little undeveloped land so that the residents can enjoy an uncluttered view of natural rural beauty?
You can leave downtown L.A. and be ascending in the San Gabriels within half an hour, into the Angelina National Forest. You can even pull over and camp. Might be impossible to find a spot on weekends.

Last edited by groovamos; 07-23-2011 at 12:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville