Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 12:51 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,339,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
Dave, you and donCorleon better get to work; a few months ago I saw in the Tennessean that a new development is going in including a bunch of retail, out there in NW. The terrain isn't going to stop it either, all you have to do is visit the mind-boggling development in the hills west of Austin, more rocky than NW Davidson, limestone too. When I moved to Austin in '75 there was very sparse population out there, mostly hippies, weekenders and retirees; Lakeway was just a resort/retirement community. Now Lakeway is a gigantic suburb, there must be 3~400,000 people in the hill country outside Austin, and no freeway in place either. Now they do have a big lake right there (Travis), and a smaller one on the west side of Austin (Lake Austin) but you guys have I-24 there ready for commuters. Just sayin-- it will happen in our lifetimes.
Lakeway area Austin

NW Davidson County Nashville

While I get what you are saying...and I know that development can happen anywhere, it's not the rockiness or the size of the hills that makes development difficult in NW Davidson...it's the crazy shapes of them. They are all kinds of jagged, and building almost any type of road network (as well as utilities) would prove very costly. And while the area is rural and has its draws...it's not really a "popular" area in Davidson County.

My guess would be that if development starts to pick up over there, it will be if wealthy people decide they want to build a secluded mansion up in the hills and valleys. Even then, I don't see much of it happening in the near future. Almost all of the roads follow creek beds and ridge lines (where they can). It's really just poorly suited for development...whereas at least with Lakeway near Austin, you have some flatter land that can be developed around a lake. Lakeway reminds me much more of some of the resort developments on the Plateau than it does of anything around the Highland Rim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 04:30 PM

597 posts, read 2,109,460 times
Alright, I have just gotten back from the most bizarre afternoon I've spent in a long while. I have been to Mars and back...or might as well. I have never been so twisted up, lost, out of range in a long, long, long time. I loved *almost* every bit of it. Fording the wide, deeper than I thought creek in my Honda was quite the experience, but the waifs playing in the water shouted words of encouragement.

OMG. I spent a good part of my trip hunched over my wheel, mouth open, hand over my mouth wondering where the heck I was. Next time, I WILL take a Davidson County map...a big one.

All in all, it was a great adventure. I enjoyed it a lot, but it was exhausting, and somewhat exhilarating, and in some instances, downright dangerous. Back with more later, I need food.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:59 PM

46 posts, read 135,593 times
[quote=groovamos;20184219]Dave, you and donCorleon better get to work; a few months ago I saw in the Tennessean that a new development is going in including a bunch of retail, out there in NW.

Retail? There are tons of empty malls across America that they are having a hard time filling with stores. Anyone here ever heard of the Internet? More people are shopping online so the need for retail stores is on the decline. I predict that Nashville will continue to sprawl and that they won't develop much public transport here---it's car city and the sprawl will continue because there is way too much short-term thinking at work.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:29 PM

940 posts, read 1,903,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altereco View Post
Retail? There are tons of empty malls across America that they are having a hard time filling with stores. Anyone here ever heard of the Internet? More people are shopping online so the need for retail stores is on the decline. I predict that Nashville will continue to sprawl and that they won't develop much public transport here---it's car city and the sprawl will continue because there is way too much short-term thinking at work.
The development I mention reading about is a large residential one with retail in the mix. The internet is great for when you know exactly what you want and can wait a few days. But you can't fill your gas tank on the internet.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:44 AM

I guess the real question is why would they develop up there. The terrain is much better suited to isolated wilderness...

Mansions on hillsides, secluded estates, shopping and every other amenity under the sun...that's what Williamson County is for.

Here's some snippets from my "field trip" yesterday.

Downtown Whites Creek. Charming, but not exactly downtown Franklin.

Shadowbrook: Fine dining by appointment only. Bring your GPS.

Leaving the Highland Trail at Beaman Park. Munched on fresh blackberries, nice snack. A deer had this "how dare you" look in her eyes.

Beaman Park, Creekside Trail

Cell phone service. I think NOT.

I think this is one of Randy Travis' former hideaways. Not sure, but a ranger told me he had a log house back in the woods that burned several years ago and this entry, even though very well maintained didn't appear to have had much traffic in a long while.

What the heck? This is Big Marrowbone Rd. It was paved 100 feet behind me. Well, Mr. Honda made it across, but it was deeper than I thought and I was starting to feel like Helen Mirren in The Queen as her Land Rover floated down river. Problem, I had no satellite phone and no staff to rescue me. Luckily, not necessary.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:16 AM

46 posts, read 135,593 times
Beautiful! I wish they would just leave it alone. Perhaps, we should stop basing the expansion of the local economy on expanding real estate into areas where it should not be (such as close to large bodies of water that flood and in areas such as this one) and place the focus on developing jobs in technology and other fields--send the real estate developers back to school to learn a useful craft that they can put to better use in the future? lol.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:39 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,475,272 times
Thanks again for the pics, Dave. Well done, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngleDave View Post
Downtown Whites Creek. Charming, but not exactly downtown Franklin.
I believe the brick building on the right is an example of of a "company store" except run by farmers, for farmers (see also Tennessee Ernie Ford's classic song "Sixteen Tons"). Sort of like a co-op for agriculture around the turn of the century. An early example of the attempt to organize agriculture into the progressive labor movement.

Also, Whites Creek has ties to the James Gang...as I'm sure you saw about a block from where you took this picture.

Quote:
Shadowbrook: Fine dining by appointment only. Bring your GPS.
Huh...I've never heard of it. Anyone ever been there?

Quote:
Beaman Park, Creekside Trail
I have got to check out Beaman Park. Great pic.

Quote:
I think this is one of Randy Travis' former hideaways. Not sure, but a ranger told me he had a log house back in the woods that burned several years ago and this entry, even though very well maintained didn't appear to have had much traffic in a long while.
Not unlike his career...

Quote:
What the heck? This is Big Marrowbone Rd. It was paved 100 feet behind me. Well, Mr. Honda made it across, but it was deeper than I thought and I was starting to feel like Helen Mirren in The Queen as her Land Rover floated down river. Problem, I had no satellite phone and no staff to rescue me. Luckily, not necessary.
Looks like a great place for a mixed use development.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:53 AM

Oh, believe me Don...there was development all over and mixed is a very mild term.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:34 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,519,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngleDave View Post
LOL! I did Big Marrowbone Rd. in my little Hyundai Accent once. That was an adventure.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:32 AM

933 posts, read 2,743,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altereco View Post
Beautiful! I wish they would just leave it alone. Perhaps, we should stop basing the expansion of the local economy on expanding real estate into areas where it should not be (such as close to large bodies of water that flood and in areas such as this one) and place the focus on developing jobs in technology and other fields--send the real estate developers back to school to learn a useful craft that they can put to better use in the future? lol.
Amen...I think we're all finding out that basing an economy on debt driven real eastate speculation is pretty ridiculous. I love this area of Nashville because of it's lack of development and sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville