Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:36 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,485,395 times

Advertisements

I was bitten by the running bug about a year or so ago as a way to lose weight and get myself in shape. I'm always looking out for new routes and parks/greenways to check out and figured maybe others were the same way. I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread to post information about places to run...routes...mileage...etc. in the mid-state.

I really like running at Moss-Wright Park in Goodlettsville. There is a great cinder/asphalt trail that hugs Mansker's Creek and is mostly shaded and mostly flat. There's a split in the trail...take the shorter route and it is a 1.5 mile loop...take the longer route and it is about 2.25 miles with a pretty steep but short hill in the mix. And it's fairly scenic...the creek is pretty and there's always lots of birds and psycho squirrels around, along with the recreation fort and historic Bowen-Campbell home there.

I've run at Drakes Creek Park before in Hendersonville and didn't care much for it. The trail was fine, but it was just a little boring...not much to see except for kids playing soccer, even though it hugs Drakes Creek. The 2 are similar, but I just prefer Moss-Wright. I think the Drakes Creek loop is about 1.5-2 miles.

Anyone have any experience running the Metro greenways? What about the Shelby Parks?

Last edited by DonCorleone; 07-19-2011 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 04:00 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,752,904 times
Yes. The East Nasty running group.

East Nasty

Old 07-20-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Yes. The East Nasty running group.

East Nasty
Cool...I've heard of the East Nasty running group but never checked out their website before.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:37 AM

367 posts, read 587,543 times
The Murfreesboro greenway is a good place to run. It follows the river in many places and is about 14 miles long I believe.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:59 AM

610 posts, read 1,626,707 times
I second the 'boro greenway...it's really pretty.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:57 PM

I need to check the greenway out. It's a bit of a haul for me, but if I'm ever down there I'll do that. The Middle Half half marathon is coming up October (or November?) and is in the 'Boro. I wanted to sign up for it but they maxed out at 2,000 runners. That would be a fast and flat race.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:26 PM

I also did a few of the Monday night runs with the Tin Roof Cool Springs crew last year, that would be great for meeting new people, I have no idea if they are still doing it...

Old 07-21-2011, 08:14 AM

Where do you guys go to buy running gear? I bought my last pair of shoes at Athlete's House near Belmont and had a good experience there...really solid customer service, but a little pricey. I've also visited Acme Multisports in Rivergate/Goodlettsville and that was okay...a little sparse and very expensive, but friendly folks. I've heard good things about Fleet Feet in the 'Boro.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:41 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,740,389 times
Fleet Feet in Brentwood is great! They have runnings programs all over the city too. I like the trail behind the Brentwood Y (on Concord, not Maryland Farms.) It runs beside the Little Harpeth, so you get views of the water, plus there are horses along the trail, and we have had deer on the trail or crossing it several times while we were running. It's a little less than 2.5 miles, but you can add on it to by adding the trail behind the library or the one that runs through Crockett Park. It connects to both. I prefer the trail behind the library- less people, more nature. I start at the Civitan, go behind the library, and then over on the trail behind the Y. If you have kids and are a Y member, you can put them in child care while you run the trail. You just leave them your cell # in case there is a problem.

One story about Fleet Feet. I have a friend who is an avid runner. She was having trouble with her knees. She went to FF and they recommended special $100+ inserts. She didn't agree and went to an Ortho, who did an MRI, and a $1,000 later, recommended the exact same inserts as FF. Not saying they can replace orthos, but I do think they are good at what they do.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:58 AM

REI, lululemon (women), for clothes. REI has great selection of reflective wear for night runnersp. Ideally, you're supposed to replace your shoes every 3 months or so if you're an avid runner, so I look for shoe outlets, as that can get expensive. I just got a new pair of new balances at Tanger Outlets in Destin. Perhaps Lebanon Outlets have something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville