Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:15 PM

815 posts, read 2,021,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
Murfreesboro, while having some suburban areas, is much more of it's own city with over 100K. Springfield isn't really a great option for commuting to Nashville.

I still stand by my statement that Gallatin is "fairly diverse for a suburban area."

I did look at the 2000 numbers instead of 2010 but Gallatin is still only 78% white.

Also according to 2010 numbers Gallatin HS is over 20% African American and there are elementary schools in Gallatin with only 50% caucasian students.

No, it's not that diverse compared to Nashville but if you are looking for a SUBURBAN area in the Nashville area that still has some racial diversity, Gallatin is a good choice.
I don't consider Gallitin a suburb of Nashville, Hendersonville is the Sumner county suburb of Nashville. As far as the surrounding county school diversity goes Lavergne is probally the most diverse with the percentage of blacks and Hispanics almost as high as davidson county schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 09:24 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,847,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
I don't consider Gallitin a suburb of Nashville, Hendersonville is the Sumner county suburb of Nashville. As far as the surrounding county school diversity goes Lavergne is probally the most diverse with the percentage of blacks and Hispanics almost as high as davidson county schools.
You're right about LaVergne. I had been looking at the 2000 numbers earlier but the 2010 numbers indicate that La Vergne's white percentage declined by 21% over the past 10 years.

IMO, Gallatin is becoming more of a Nashville suburb. More of the development is on the Southwest side of the city and TN-386 was extended a few years ago to ease the Nashville-Gallatin commute.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:47 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,350,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
IMO, Gallatin is becoming more of a Nashville suburb. More of the development is on the Southwest side of the city and TN-386 was extended a few years ago to ease the Nashville-Gallatin commute.
I tend to agree. I remember when Gallatin was just another far out county seat in a suburban county...but now places like Gallatin and Lebanon are starting to grow towards Nashville.

The extension of TN 386 (Vietnam Vets) into Gallatin is one of several things to show that Gallatin is becoming more integrated into the metropolitan area. The area between Gallatin and Hendersonville has become a battleground for the two cities fighting to develop the land. I would definitely say that Gallatin's growth since the 1990s is more "Nashville" oriented. Gallatin is more of a suburb than Springfield and Dickson are at this point...maybe even more than Lebanon, because of the southwest part of the city, like you mentioned.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:57 AM

67 posts, read 202,950 times
Regardless of whether Gallatin is a suburb or not, I would not look to Sumner County for diversity...

I think the best suggestions for good, family-oriented, diverse communities would be the ones within Davidson County-- Green Hills, Berry Hill, Hillsboro Village, Donelson, Inglewood, Madison, Sylvan Park, Nippers Corner, etc. etc.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I tend to agree. I remember when Gallatin was just another far out county seat in a suburban county...but now places like Gallatin and Lebanon are starting to grow towards Nashville.

The extension of TN 386 (Vietnam Vets) into Gallatin is one of several things to show that Gallatin is becoming more integrated into the metropolitan area. The area between Gallatin and Hendersonville has become a battleground for the two cities fighting to develop the land. I would definitely say that Gallatin's growth since the 1990s is more "Nashville" oriented. Gallatin is more of a suburb than Springfield and Dickson are at this point...maybe even more than Lebanon, because of the southwest part of the city, like you mentioned.
I agree with this, it is not yet a true suburb of Nashville yet, but is becoming, as well as Lebanon. Murfreesboro and Franklin, tho can be considered their own cities, however can be considered a suburb of Nashville due to what the two cities offer to Nashville residents as well as tourist, such as malls, jobs, schools, etc. Murfreesboro having MTSU is a great example and Franklin having Cool Springs is another. There is not much of a need for anyone with in the city of Nashville to go much past Hendersonville for anything, at this point. In Lebanon at least has the Prime Outlet that helps somewhat.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryphena1 View Post
Regardless of whether Gallatin is a suburb or not, I would not look to Sumner County for diversity...

I think the best suggestions for good, family-oriented, diverse communities would be the ones within Davidson County-- Green Hills, Berry Hill, Hillsboro Village, Donelson, Inglewood, Madison, Sylvan Park, Nippers Corner, etc. etc.
The most diverse area is south-east Davidson county as far as schools as well as communties. Lets break it down
1. The areas closer into town are the most diverse with various of ethnicities, from the Harding place areas and north, including Nolensville Rd. to Murfreesboro Rd up to the Airport area/Elm Hill Pk. Zoned high school is Glencliff High School which is 35% African American, 5.4% Asian, 29.8% Hispanic 29.7% White. The area near the airport go to McGavock High School.

2. 37211 and western portions of Antioch (37013) South of Harding to Haywood Lane/Nolensville Rd. areas as well as the Murfreesboro Rd area near Dell Computers/South Donelson Pk.- Diverse, not as many ethnicities as the the area stated in part one, but is more diverse with Hispanics, as well as other races. Zoned schools are Overton High School for areas West of I-24 and McGavock East of I-24/However will be rezoned to Antioch High School next school year. Overtons break down is 28.5% African American, 9.9% Asian, 22.3% Hispanic, 39.3 White.

3.Antioch, 37013 and Priest Lake area 37217 areas south of Haywood Ln. Lane to Williamson, Rutherford and Wilson County boarders. Large geographic area, very diverse, tho still majority White and African American but a great deal of Hispanic and Kirdish. Zoned schools are Cane Ridge High School and Antioch High School with the Una Antioch area being zoned to McGavock however rezoned to Antioch for 2011-12 school year and rezoned again to Cane Ridge 12-13. Antioch High Schools break down is: 49.1% African American, 4.1 percent Asian, 24.1 % Hispanic, 22.5% White, .2% Native American
Cane Ridge High School- 55.5% African American, 3.8% Asian, 22.1% Hispanic, 18.7% White. (Cane Ridge has more than 400 more students since this report was taken due to the addition of a grade level for the 2010-11 school year but percentages are probally near the same)
McGavock-38.1% African American, 2.2% Asian, 12.3 Hispanic, 47.2% White, .2% Native American.
*Note- Kirdish are considered White in these percentages for Metro Schools, so European White %'s may actually be lower at all the schools, especially Overton who has a lot of Kirdish Students.

Lavergen's numbers are- 33.4% African American, 5.4% Asian, 13.5 Hispanic, 47.6% White, .1% Native American.

Gallatin High-20.2% African American, 1.1% Asian, 5.9% Hispanic, 72.5% White, .3% Native American.
*Note-Notice Gallatin High is signifficantly less diverse than the Metro Schools in the South Easter portion of the county.
*Note- The metro schools reported all have populations of 1500+ so high population schools.

Source-edu.reportcard.state.tn.us

Old 03-23-2012, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,975 times
Thumbs up Interracial Couples

I agree completely with the post about not finding much diversity and acceptance in Green Hills, Franklin, Spring Hill, Cool Springs. Even Rutherford County is sketchy in that respect - though areas of Murfreesboro would be ok because it's a college town. I tried Rutherford County for a while - it still has a far way to go as far as the local reaction to an interracial couple (in my mind, a good place would bring no reaction) - especially in LaVergne and Smyrna. I would look into Antioch - there are plenty of nice areas yet, probably because of the diversity, it is more affordable than the primarily white areas of metropolitan Nashville. Parts of Donelson and Hermitage would work also. Of course, the historic areas that are being rennovated and developed near downtown and downtown Nashville would be good. Those areas have diversity in many ways and have developed a more urban feel than the other upper-end cost-of-living areas. I wish you luck in your relocation and hope you encounter those of us who are simply southern, not country rednecks, more than not.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:52 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,314,553 times
Diversity has nothing to do with property values.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:17 PM

813 posts, read 2,033,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maashda View Post
I agree completely with the post about not finding much diversity and acceptance in Green Hills, Franklin, Spring Hill, Cool Springs. Even Rutherford County is sketchy in that respect - though areas of Murfreesboro would be ok because it's a college town. I tried Rutherford County for a while - it still has a far way to go as far as the local reaction to an interracial couple (in my mind, a good place would bring no reaction) - especially in LaVergne and Smyrna. I would look into Antioch - there are plenty of nice areas yet, probably because of the diversity, it is more affordable than the primarily white areas of metropolitan Nashville. Parts of Donelson and Hermitage would work also. Of course, the historic areas that are being rennovated and developed near downtown and downtown Nashville would be good. Those areas have diversity in many ways and have developed a more urban feel than the other upper-end cost-of-living areas. I wish you luck in your relocation and hope you encounter those of us who are simply southern, not country rednecks, more than not.
I'm sorry for your unwelcoming experiences in certain areas. Not to discount your experience, but I was a bit surprised by Green Hills and Franklin/Cool Springs somewhat as well. My partner and I never have any issues in Green Hills. We're an interracial gay couple and spend a great deal of time in Green Hills without incident. I don't even recall so much as a dirty look in Green Hills. We visit Franklin/Cool Springs less frequently, but no problems there as well.

In regards to some of smaller suburbs and satelitte towns, one has to remember that these bedroom communities were mostly pretty rural a short time ago. So, many of them are still grappling with the growth and different kinds of new residents that are coming in.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:41 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,202,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
I'm sorry for your unwelcoming experiences in certain areas. Not to discount your experience, but I was a bit surprised by Green Hills and Franklin/Cool Springs somewhat as well. My partner and I never have any issues in Green Hills. We're an interracial gay couple and spend a great deal of time in Green Hills without incident. I don't even recall so much as a dirty look in Green Hills. We visit Franklin/Cool Springs less frequently, but no problems there as well.

In regards to some of smaller suburbs and satelitte towns, one has to remember that these bedroom communities were mostly pretty rural a short time ago. So, many of them are still grappling with the growth and different kinds of new residents that are coming in.
Regarding Green Hills, I agree. Even though the population isn't necessarily diverse, the residents are typically educated and a touch more sophisticated than some of the suburbs and outlying towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville