Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 05:05 PM

80 posts, read 179,381 times

Advertisements

Any comments on this area? It's older development but is zoned for Lipscomb Elementary. We're looking to relocate to the Nashville area and schools = our #1 priority so this appeals to us.

We were originally looking in the 400-600K range but realized after crunching numbers that if we slashed our housing budget we could pay off our student loans in 5 years rather than 25 years (we were chronic students for years and are now paying all those loans back...) So the dream house is on hold and we're being practical.

We live in a 1000 sq foot condo right now so even moving to an 1800-2000 sq. foot place we'd be doubling the amount of room we have. (Sigh - but I was so enjoying looking at all those "bonus" rooms and granite countertops...someday....)

Anyway - just looking for general opinions. Is this area older but still well-kept or is rundown? Is it mostly older people or would their be families in the area? (we have kids - well we'll have two when we move.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 06:53 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
No, it's awesome.

Part of it is older, but it is very well kept. There is a mix of single older adults and families. Part of it is zoned for Lipscomb, but some of them are zoned for Johnson Elementary in Franklin. Not that that's a bad thing, but if you have a preference, you should take note.

You absolutely cannot beat the location. If you're accustomed to 1000 sq feet, you'll be happy with the units.

Paying off the debt is a stellar idea. Congrats!

Old 03-17-2011, 06:07 PM

80 posts, read 179,381 times
Thanks! Not sure about Johnson vs. Lipscomb. I've heard alot about Lipscomb on this board (and on greatschools.com) but I'd have to do more research. Looks like something called "Brentwood Point View" is newer and zoned for Johnson.

Is the Brentwood Pointe area likely to be rezoned by WCS? If we start our son at on Elementary School we'd like him to stay there for his whole elementary "career." (I would have hated switching schools as a kid - hoping to give my own kids some stability in that department as well.)

Old 03-17-2011, 08:30 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
First, I'd like to throw in my two cents on spending your whole elementary career at one school.
It sounds like a great idea, and it can be, but switching schools doesn't have to be the worst thing that happens to a kid either. I was surprised at how little my older boys remembered about their early elementary years even in 5th and 6th grade. They change so quickly, and "friendships" are pretty fluid at that age. Kids can be pretty resilient.
But anyway, I can understand about wanting to stay at one school.
As for potential rezoning, there really is no way to tell if a school will be rezoned. Everything will be up in the air for at least the next 5 years, and I have seen some dramatically different zones proposed for neighborhoods once assumed to be untouchable. My own neighborhood, Brenthaven, may be rezoned to Woodland/Ravenwood when the new northeast high school is built. Something about a "counterclockwise shift" of school zones. Anything I say about Brentwood Point would just be speculation.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:45 PM

228 posts, read 528,723 times
You’ll absolutely LOVE the convenience and from someone who works to be debt free - take the smaller house note and enjoy the freedom. Also, the older properties at Brentwood Pointe will be prime targets for rehabbing in a few years, so maybe you’ll give yourself the granite countertops part of that dream anyway :-) Careful when comparing the resale numbers in there, the age of the different sections is a significant for the price you should be paying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville