Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:50 PM

7 posts, read 10,165 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

@Why am i here, I'm from a town called Falkirk which is in the central belt of scotland, midway between glasgow and edinburgh about 30 mins drive from both cities, thank you for your help and offer of help re info will keep it in mind.

@bwoodbell, The reason i chose smyrna is because that is where the company is based and nothing else, I'm Lazy that way ) but would be open to other areas if I couldn't get a rental apartment in Smyrna, re another of your posts I'm nowhere near London ) but I could feel at home anywhere ) and I talk to anyone, eg, back in 07 I attended the ncis tv show fanfest in CA, didn't know anyone there but got speaking to some folks now i've a couple of good friends stateside only they are in arlington tx and kansas city,missouri.

@cpsTN, thank you also, what does your sis in law do with franke, what like are they to work for over there, be greatful if you could ask for me if you don't mind (at present i work for carron which is a part of the franke group, a lot of our products (kitchen sinks) can be found in lowes diy stores, re the diversity of a town/city it isn't really something i've thought about as I get on well with mostly everyone i meet.

@marymoon, heavy traffic doesn't bother me to be honest as I enjoy driving anyway and I am used to heavy traffic as I'm in Glasgow/Edinburgh every other week and have driven in LA/orlando/san diego ), again re the diversity question etc none of that bothers me, again have never even given that a thought, don't know what a redneck is ) and the religious side of things don't know what areas are roman catholic, protestant, hindi, evangelist, muslim, jewish etc. I'm a fairly open minded person but I do hold my own religious beliefs.

Want to thank you all for your help thus far, very much appreciated, the move itself hinges on whether the company actually has any jobs and if they would act as sponsor for visa to gain entry in the first place, just waiting to find out, boss here said another few weeks so here's hoping.
And if I do get there would be great to meet all you folks who have helped me in person.

once again tahank you all, and keep going )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 02:19 PM

Hi folks,
another thing i forgot to get your opinions on is the subject of health, how do things re doctor/hospital/dentist etc work there.
again thanks for all your help

Old 03-11-2011, 03:35 PM

34 posts, read 87,991 times
I just want to say, the Franke building in Smyrna looks so cool. I have always wondered what they did there. It looks like it should be in Sweden not Smyrna!

Old 03-11-2011, 04:48 PM

hiya 3 dimes, the company is actually swiss, that's where the head office of the whole group is, they provide most of the catering equipment for macdonalds as well as various other household and catering equipment eg company i work for at present make kitchen sinks for various worldwide markets, franke usa being one of the biggest for us, the building in smyrna is a distribution centre for the whole of the americas.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:52 PM

764 posts, read 2,553,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonny67 View Post
Hi folks,
another thing i forgot to get your opinions on is the subject of health, how do things re doctor/hospital/dentist etc work there.
You won't lack for all specialities of health care providers in either Smyrna or Murfreesboro. If you have employer-provided'group health insurance your HR dept should give you specifics on co-pays and deductibles and such after you transfer.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:55 PM

59 posts, read 194,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonny67 View Post
Hi folks,
Once you are insured by your company, you can pretty much go to whichever doctor or dentist of your choosing. They are everywhere so it is up to you to choose one that you like best and fits your needs (your insurance company can recommend some to keep cost to you to a minimum). If you are uninsured, any bills you have will need to be paid out of pocket. If living in Smyrna, you will be about 30 minutes from Vanderbilt, one of the best hospitals in the south though there are plenty of other hospitals in each county in case of an emergency. Ambulance services are also available if they are needed.

I'm not sure about the specifics for being issued a drivers license but if you have one in the UK, you should be able to acquire one pretty easily especially with a work permit and some help from your company.

Hope that helps. Tennessee is a very nice place to live, lots of diversity and has tons things to do and ways to make new friends. My best friends husband is from Scotland and he loves it here though i'm sure he misses home. Who wouldn't? I'd move to Edinburgh tomorrow and leave everything behind if given an opportunity, it's my favorite city in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville