Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:17 PM

7 posts, read 12,009 times

Advertisements

I've been looking all over, first, I can afford up to $3000 for rent but I refuse to buy before I figure out what areas of the state are the best for raising a family and looking at the neighborhoods first. I've read the "Franklin, TN" thread thoroughly and I was curious about my specific situation. I have a dog who means the world to me but she's mostly a pitbull, anyone that knows anything about specific municipal ordinances I would be in your debt if you post. I enjoy patio dining and organic food, I detest coffee and I would appreciate an attached garage, which is hard to find in TN for whatever reason. What is the best area for a single guy who's not looking for a bachelor pad but a nice decent eclectic neighborhood within 30 min of Franklin.

Places I've checked out online - Franklin, Brentwood, Bellevue, Murfreesboro

Thanks ahead of time and feel free to direct me if I missed any posts through the search utility.
Thanks Nashville City-Dataionians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 09:21 PM

215 posts, read 682,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MensaFool
I've been looking all over, first, I can afford up to $3000 for rent but I refuse to buy before I figure out what areas of the state are the best for raising a family and looking at the neighborhoods first. I've read the "Franklin, TN" thread thoroughly and I was curious about my specific situation. I have a dog who means the world to me but she's mostly a pitbull, anyone that knows anything about specific municipal ordinances I would be in your debt if you post. I enjoy patio dining and organic food, I detest coffee and I would appreciate an attached garage, which is hard to find in TN for whatever reason. What is the best area for a single guy who's not looking for a bachelor pad but a nice decent eclectic neighborhood within 30 min of Franklin.

Places I've checked out online - Franklin, Brentwood, Bellevue, Murfreesboro

Thanks ahead of time and feel free to direct me if I missed any posts through the search utility.
Thanks Nashville City-Dataionians
The most liberal areas I can think of that closest to Franklin with what you are looking for specifically would have to be Green Hills (37215),Hillsboro Village (37212),or West Nashville (37209).I probably would have said East Nashville where I'm located but I'm pretty sure it's more than thirty minutes away from Franklin and for that reason I would go with the above three.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:28 PM

Thanks, I've heard great things about the Nashville area which is why I chose to uproot from Wisconsin and head down there.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:57 PM

Ok, is it me or is he trying to steer me toward a shady edge of town?

Old 02-22-2011, 10:21 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,345,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MensaFool View Post
Ok, is it me or is he trying to steer me toward a shady edge of town?
Green Hills/Hillsboro Village/West End = shady? Ha! I don't think I've ever heard that before.

If you can afford $3,000/month for rent, you pretty much have your pick of the lot as far as apartments (even luxury apts).

Speaking of lots, are you looking for a smaller place, with less lot to maintain, or a larger lot, say an acre+?

Also, are you more attracted to older construction, or a more 'individual' house, or does living in a neighborhood with a lot of similar houses (more cookie cutter) not bother you?

As to your comment on organic foods, both Green Hills and Franklin (via Cool Springs) have a Whole Foods. I think you would be more likely to find stores and restaurants offering organic varieties in the Green Hills/West End area, but the trend is definitely starting to pop up in Brentwood and Franklin as well.

Hypothetically...if you were looking for a house...what would it look like? How old would it be? What price range would you be willing to accept? This will help us better narrow your search.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:51 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,319,208 times
I'm not sure where the OP is looking for houses, but for me it's very, very rare to see a house that doesn't have an attached garage. That's the norm here, especially for houses built post 1960s.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
I'm not sure where the OP is looking for houses, but for me it's very, very rare to see a house that doesn't have an attached garage. That's the norm here, especially for houses built post 1960s.
That's why I asked about older construction...there are a number of older houses that have side garages or separate garages.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:30 PM

Alright, my apologies to goodman2, I looked at his profile and saw some pretty right wing stuff and looked it up and damn.... anyway.

I care more about the ability to let my dog in and out than anything so first floor with an exposed patio would be ideal for the place that I rent.

To be clear I'm looking for a good place to rent for right now and not buy. For now, I am up for renting anywhere that fits my lifestyle and is conducive to the whole dog/pitbull thing. Honestly, I'm looking to rent a condo that has an attached garage in a low crime area around 30 min away from Nashville.

I was probably unfair to goodman2, for that I apologize. From what google maps turned up on those areas I didn't see anything that caught my eye.

This place is in the lead for right now given the decent area ALARA® Farms - Luxury Apartments in Franklin, TN - Site Map (http://www.alarafarms.com/sitemap.htm - broken link)

Old 02-22-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MensaFool View Post
Alright, my apologies to goodman2, I looked at his profile and saw some pretty right wing stuff and looked it up and damn.... anyway.

I care more about the ability to let my dog in and out than anything so first floor with an exposed patio would be ideal for the place that I rent.

To be clear I'm looking for a good place to rent for right now and not buy. For now, I am up for renting anywhere that fits my lifestyle and is conducive to the whole dog/pitbull thing. Honestly, I'm looking to rent a condo that has an attached garage in a low crime area around 30 min away from Nashville.

I was probably unfair to goodman2, for that I apologize. From what google maps turned up on those areas I didn't see anything that caught my eye.

This place is in the lead for right now given the decent area ALARA® Farms - Luxury Apartments in Franklin, TN - Site Map (http://www.alarafarms.com/sitemap.htm - broken link)

I don't know what kind of ratings that place has, but it's in a prime location. Prime. You are literally right on top of the biggest retail area in the entire state.

One positive thing for you and your dog would be that there are a number of sidewalks on that side of Cool Springs, not something you can really say for most of the Franklin area.

For clarification, Cool Springs is not actually it's own city...it's a large retail/commercial/office/residential district between Brentwood and Franklin. Probably 80% is in Franklin, 20% or so in Brentwood.

If you are working in Franklin, you're in a good location, no matter where your job will be. It's also convenient to Nashville...only about 20 minutes from downtown, outside of peak traffic.

See if you can find some reviews for that place (and others)...but I think you found a good starting point.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:07 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,638,428 times
We're lefties living in Franklin, so we DO exist We have friends here with pits. I'll ask them about it. I've seen them at my vet's, too, so I'm guessing it's legal to own within the city limits. Again, will check.

The Franklin farmer's market is mostly organic, unlike the one in Nashville. If that's what you're after, you'll do much better in Franklin.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville