Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:05 AM

18 posts, read 96,440 times

Advertisements

Hey all -
Me & my husband are thinking of relocating to TN. We are absolutely in love with Nashville and have had the chance to visit twice now. We have a young family so we want to live a bit outside Nashville itself because I heard the public school system isn't too great, but we want to be close enough to Nashville to easily commute to work or have a night out. I've been doing my research and Franklin seems like a good fit for us.

Some people have said it is expensive, but we currently live in the Northeast where housing prices are insane (our small condo we bought a couple years ago was $225,000 and only has 2 bedrooms). We are looking in the $250,000-$350,000 (is that okay for Franklin). On some real estate websites it looks like we could get a decent house for that price, much bigger than we could were we currently live that's for sure!

Plus the winters are just too harsh, especially this year! I've also heard some complaints about the summer heat, which doesn't matter to us either since it gets quite hot and humid where we live - a 95 or even a 100 degree day isn't totally unusal here.

Any advice, opinions on Franklin? Is it a nice place to raise a family? Are neighborhoods friendly?

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 10:54 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,349,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid9 View Post
Hey all -
Me & my husband are thinking of relocating to TN. We are absolutely in love with Nashville and have had the chance to visit twice now. We have a young family so we want to live a bit outside Nashville itself because I heard the public school system isn't too great, but we want to be close enough to Nashville to easily commute to work or have a night out. I've been doing my research and Franklin seems like a good fit for us.

Some people have said it is expensive, but we currently live in the Northeast where housing prices are insane (our small condo we bought a couple years ago was $225,000 and only has 2 bedrooms). We are looking in the $250,000-$350,000 (is that okay for Franklin). On some real estate websites it looks like we could get a decent house for that price, much bigger than we could were we currently live that's for sure!

Plus the winters are just too harsh, especially this year! I've also heard some complaints about the summer heat, which doesn't matter to us either since it gets quite hot and humid where we live - a 95 or even a 100 degree day isn't totally unusal here.

Any advice, opinions on Franklin? Is it a nice place to raise a family? Are neighborhoods friendly?

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Price-wise, you should be able to find something decent in the $250-350k range in Franklin. You won't get quite as much bang for the buck there as you would in Rutherford, Wilson, or Sumner county for something comparable, but it will be larger than you are used to for sure (probably in the 3,000 sq ft range).

Despite popular belief, we do get snow here, and there is a winter (it was bitterly cold in December and January this year), but it won't be as harsh or as long lasting as you are used to. The summers will, however, be longer and hotter than you are used to. It isn't as humid as some of the Deep South, but you can expect 85-95 degree temperatures (with extremes in the low 100s) between mid May and late September. Overall, the climate here isn't too bad or harsh, but you will almost certainly have to adapt to the heat.

As far as my thoughts on Franklin:

It's a booming sprawling suburb of more than 60,000 residents, the county seat of Williamson county, which has grown to a population north of 175,000. Much of the development is sprawling cookie cutter homes spread out on what used to be beautiful farmland. While large subdivisions and cul-de-sacs are not nearly as beautiful as quiet rolling hills and farmland, I think most would agree that the setting is quite nice.

Franklin has several commercial districts, the largest being Cool Springs, a massive retail and office development on I-65 with 3 exits. It is currently the largest retail district in the state. Aside from Cool Springs, Franklin is known for its beautiful, small, well-preserved downtown, where many buildings date back to the 19th century and even pre-Civil War. Unlike many small town downtowns in the area, Franklin's is thriving. While several chain stores have moved in, there are still a number of small mom and pop operations there. Aside from those two areas, there is some uninspiring commercial and retail along Highway 96 (Murfreesboro Rd) near I-65 and Hillsboro Rd. (US 431) NW of town.

My long time complaint about Franklin is that for many years, they have allowed the city to develop in every direction, almost unchecked, and with very little road infrastructure built in or improved. There are some signs that it is changing, though, as more sidewalks, bike paths, and new road projects have been initiated. Franklin essentially grew too fast for it's own good between the 80s (population ~16,000) and now (population ~60,000), but the same could be said for Murfreesboro, Smyrna, Mount Juliet, Hendersonville, etc. etc.

Other things you should know about Franklin and Williamson county are that they are predominantly white (Franklin is somewhat more diverse than the rest of the county), predominately Christian, and predominately conservative. That's not to say that you won't find a little bit of everything there, but the odds will be that your neighbors will be affluent white Christian conservatives.

Speaking of affluent, Williamson County is by far the wealthiest county in the state, and one of the wealthiest in the country. There are a lot of large houses, many in the $750,000-1,000,000 range, especially in Brentwood, to the north, and on large farm tracts scattered throughout the county. That's not to say that there are not a lot of very nice average homes, especially in Franklin, but you will especially notice an upper-middle class feel to the whole I-65 corridor.

A positive of moving to a suburb with such a high population of transplants, like Franklin, will be that you should be able to feel at home in a relatively short time, rather than an outsider. My suggestion would be to get involved in community activities to more quickly ease the transition. Most people are friendly, welcoming, and helpful, and if they see you as wanting to be a part of the community, they will likely accept you with open arms.

Travel-wise, Franklin has it easier than some of the outer suburbs as far as commute time. Most areas of Franklin are 15-20 miles from downtown Nashville, and usually only 20-35 minutes away, depending on interstate traffic. Franklin has it's fair share of traffic problems, sure (especially south of Highway 96, where they are widening the interstate), but you won't run into quite the same mess on your way into town as you would along I-24 (Murfreesboro, Smyrna, LaVergne, Antioch) or I-40 (Lebanon, Mt. Juliet, Hermitage, Donelson).

As for your concerns about schooling, yes, Franklin and Williamson county are probably the safest bet for quality public schools. That is not to say, however, that they are the ONLY bet. There are plenty of good options in the other county systems, and even some in Metro Nashville. My suggestion is that you try to do a little research on individual schools and districts in the area to get a better idea of the pros and cons.

I hope all of this helps.

sidenote - IF you decide that you want to expand your search outside of Franklin, there are a number of nice communities you can choose from, from neighborhoods in Davidson County to suburbs like Murfreesboro, Mount Juliet, Hendersonville, and Gallatin. If boating/lake recreation is a consideration, Hendersonville is a nice community, slightly smaller than Franklin, located on the NE side of town in Sumner county. Murfreesboro is a nice, small-feel-but-big-town middle class community in Rutherford county (population north of 100,000).

Just let me or the others know if you want more information about the area. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:56 AM

118 posts, read 598,167 times
You can probably find something in that budget in Franklin but may have a wider selection in Mount Juliet or Hendersonville. We have been considering a move as well and my reply to you is based off of our own search in that area. www.realtracs.com is a great real estate site that should really help you. I spend hours on it!!!

Old 02-16-2011, 11:21 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,792,031 times
Franklin is just one of many areas in Nashville. Its also one of the more expensive areas in Nashville. You can definitely buy more for less in other parts of the city. So just be aware of that. It gets thrown around a lot on forums.

Secondly, while Nashville and TN is further South than the Northeast, its not going to be the warm tropical or even necessarily moderate climate a lot of people think of when they imagine the South. Winters aren't exactly warm per-say. It will be warmer than the Northeast but its also not uncommon for temps to drop down to the 20's or even the teens in the winter. Expect colder weather from around October-March or April. Its also going to get hot in the summer. Not Texas hot, but hot just the same. Lots of 80-90 degree days with high humidity, usually from mid June-August and even September. So basically, you don't really move to TN for the weather.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:02 PM

Too all about the weather...we are partially moving because of the weather but it isn't the only reason (otherwise we'd pick somewhere warmer of course!) But our average temps where we live are definitely cooler than in TN. I know that TN gets snow, in fact we were there when there was some snow but nothing compared to the 70+ inches we've gotten this year. I don't expect tropical weather by any means, but it will be a very nice change from our extremely harsh/cold winters in the Northeast.

Thanks so much for the advice so far...keep 'em coming! If anyone has any suggestions other than Franklin please let me know - but it has to still be within 30 mins of Nashville. Thanks!!!

Old 02-16-2011, 01:49 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,736,860 times
Franklin is a wonderful place for families. Good schools, plenty of activities, very safe. Lots of neighborhoods with family activities, pools, neighborhood common areas, etc.

Hendersonville also fits this description.

You can get a nice house in either area within your price range.

We have always based our decisions partly on the commute- will you guys be working closer to Hendersonville or Franklin?

Both Mt. Juliet and Murfreesboro are nice, but they are a longer, harder commute to most parts of Nashville.

As for the weather, we have had a lot of snow this year, but this week is all 60s and sunny. Not bad for the middle of February.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:04 PM

Tennessee State University is 1 of our employers, the other is up in the air (a few possibilities). I looked into Henderson & it looks nice, but I read some bad things about it.
I don't mind a little snow...it has been almost 2 months since we've seen grass here so anything is better than that!

Old 02-16-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Too all about the weather...we are partially moving because of the weather but it isn't the only reason (otherwise we'd pick somewhere warmer of course!) But our average temps where we live are definitely cooler than in TN. I know that TN gets snow, in fact we were there when there was some snow but nothing compared to the 70+ inches we've gotten this year. I don't expect tropical weather by any means, but it will be a very nice change from our extremely harsh/cold winters in the Northeast.

Thanks so much for the advice so far...keep 'em coming! If anyone has any suggestions other than Franklin please let me know - but it has to still be within 30 mins of Nashville. Thanks!!!
There are a plethora of great places to live -- depending on what you are looking for -- within 30 minutes of downtown Nashville.

One thing to keep in mind in all of this is that 'Nashville' includes most of the land area of Davidson county...so unlike a lot of northern cities, which have a small city proper, 'Nashville' is roughly half the size of Rhode Island. So keep in mind that the borders of Nashville extend out 15-25 interstate minutes away from downtown in every direction.

I would strongly suggest you look at several other areas in the region, even if just for comparison purposes. The price range you mentioned is not too restricting, except for the most exclusive areas of Brentwood, Belle Meade, Forest Hills, Green Hills, West End, Oak Hill (all on the South and West side), and a few scattered developments in other places.

I'll try a short summary of the various places in the area. I grew up on the south side of town, so that's my main area of expertise. However, I have traveled extensively around the region, so I can at least give you a rough idea of what each area has to offer.

Murfreesboro (pop. 105,000+) - Murfreesboro is going to probably exceed your desire of being within 30 minutes of Nashville (depending on where you are and how fast you drive), but it is certainly a place with a lot to offer. It lies roughly 30 miles SE of Nashville along I-24, and is the seat of Rutherford County. It is a college community, home to Middle Tennessee State (MTSU), the largest undergrad school in the state, and one of the most improved public colleges in the past few decades. Murfreesboro is what I would say a mostly middle class, blue (but with some white) collar community. You will find a little bit of everything there, because it is considerably larger than any of the other Nashville burbs. Also, due to its distance from Nashville, Murfreesboro retains more of a separate identity than anywhere else in the area. Mount Juliet, Hendersonville, and Brentwood are essentially extensions of Nashville. Murfreesboro, even more than Franklin, has its own identity. Traffic is quite a problem in Murfreesboro, but recently things have improved with the construction of 2 new interstate exits, as well as numerous road-widening projects. Even more are in the works, and I like where the city is heading development-wise, at least when it comes to 'in-town' Murfreesboro. Recently a [much needed] major retail center opened up off of Medical Center Parkway. The economic slowdown has stalled a lot of the potential development, but luckily for residents of the Boro, a sizable bit was built before this happened. One note on crime -- while few of the Nashville suburbs are really known for crime, Murfreesboro is a safe area for as large as it is. Any place with 100,000 residents will have crime, but violent crime is not a big problem in the Boro.

Hendersonville (pop. ~50,000) - Hendersonville was little more than a spot on the map in the 1960s, so if you're looking for a historical town, you'll have to settle for Rock Castle, a historical home built in the late 1700s. What Hendersonville does have is a lot of lakefront property along Old Hickory Lake. Many people own boats in the community and spend their weekends on the lake, even if that is becoming more and more expensive these days. Affordability-wise, Hendersonville isn't cheap, but it is certainly more affordable than comparable places in Williamson county. I would say Hendersonville is somewhat more affluent than Murfreesboro, and moreso than most locations around Nashville, but less than the Williamson county cities. From what I hear, the schools are pretty decent as well. Traffic in Hendersonville can be burdensome at times, because there are essentially two roads that lead to Nashville: Gallatin Pike and Vietnam Veterans Pkwy (4 lane divided freeway). However, you should still be able to get to downtown Nashville on most days in about 30 minutes. Shopping in Hendersonville has changed immensely in the last decade. Before, most of the shopping in Hendersonville were smaller retail stores that run the entire length of Gallatin Pk (US 31E). Now, two new sizable retail districts have opened up, both right off of Vietnam Veterans Pkwy. Add in the proximity of Rivergate Mall, which is 10-15 minutes from most of Hendersonville, and the shopping opportunities rival that of Murfreesboro. Over all, most of the people I know from Hendersonville really enjoy living there.

Mount Juliet (population 20,000+) - Mount Juliet is a fast growing community on the east side of town, generally between I-40 and Lebanon Pike. It is affluent, but not what I would call "upscale." There are a lot of nice neighborhoods around town, and it generally lends to a smaller town feel than any of the cities mentioned above (it's also significantly smaller). I do not travel as much to Mount Juliet, so I can't speak quite as in depth as I can on many other places, but it generally has a nice feel to it. The traffic problems in Mount Juliet generally stem from Mount Juliet Road (TN 171), which is getting a much needed upgrade from a 2 lane to 4/5 lane road. Shopping in Mount Juliet is not comparable to the other places listed, but there is a sizable development called "Providence" on the south side of town along I-40. On the north side of town (much of it outside the city limits) is Old Hickory Lake and Hendersonville, but there are no bridges across, so while the two cities are geographically close, they are a ways apart. Mount Juliet is relatively close to Nashville, though, for being outside of the county lines. Commutes into town should be less than 30 minutes, and be relatively easy UNTIL I-40 and I-24 merge. The few miles into town from there are some of the most congested in all of Nashville. HOWEVER, Mount Juliet (as well as Lebanon, Donelson, and Hermitage) have something to offer that nowhere else in the metro can: commuter rail. There is one lone line of the Music City Star, which serves those cities. There are future plans for other commuter rail lines in the future, but this is the only one in place. It would certainly be a good alternative as a way to get downtown.

Green Hills/Belmont (est. population 40,000) - for a closer to town, more urban feel, the Green Hills and Belmont areas are nice. I list this area merely as an option, because there are a number of cons to living there. The area, generally speaking, lies south of I-440 (inner bypass) along Hillsboro Road, Granny White Pike, and Belmont Blvd. It is more expensive, space-wise, than most of the other areas you would be considering, including Franklin. Property taxes are higher, the population density is higher, and you would be zoned for Metro Nashville schools. It should be noted that the schools here are not bad by any stretch, but a lot of the wealthier residents send their kids to private schools anyways, so the schools are not as top notch as they could be. I would actually say that on an elementary and middle school level are pretty good and comparable to some of the other county systems. Hillsboro High school, though, is rather average, considering its location. If your kids got into the magnet school system, though, this wouldn't be a problem. The character of this area is quite different from the others listed (this is why I am including it, for a diversity of options). The houses are older, and the streets are connected. There are fewer cul-de-sacs in this established part of Nashville. Most of the lots are also somewhat smaller than you will find in the suburbs, but it is not ultra dense. The traffic is terrible along Hillsboro Rd., but since a lot of the streets are connected, there are a number of alternatives as far as navigating to downtown as well as other areas of Nashville. Shopping-wise, there is a large retail center in the middle of Green Hills, full of upscale shops and boutiques, some of which are unique to the city. Public transportation may not be something that you are looking for, but this area is better served than the others, with 3 bus lines that frequent the area. Generally speaking, your commute time is not going to be as short as it might seem, but depending on which route you take, you can be downtown in as little as 10 minutes. You would also be very close to Vanderbilt University and West End, which offers (along with Green Hills) a wide array of good places to eat. Also, this area tends to be much more moderate, even liberal or progressive-leaning at times (depending on exactly where you are), so the arts community here is good. It is considerably less conservative than the areas you would find outside of Davidson county.

Other options I would consider, however lower down the list:

Gallatin (population ~30,000) - Gallatin is a few miles up (you guessed it!) Gallatin Road/Vietnam Veterans Pkwy from Hendersonville. Commute-wise, it would put you beyond 30 minutes most days for an average commute (more comparable to Murfreesboro), but it is not too far. Gallatin has really grown up a lot in the past decade. Before, it was mainly a blue collar community on the cusp of the metro area, but now Gallatin realizes it has the potential to join the other suburbs with attracting new residents. Gallatin also suddenly realized that it is close to Old Hickory Lake, and now there is a golfing community and lakefront development on the SE side of town. Vietnam Veterans Pkwy was recently extended 4-5 miles into Gallatin city limits, so commute times have decreased for some. I would say that Hendersonville has Gallatin beat in just about every category, but Gallatin is a secondary option for those who can't find something suitable in Hendersonville. Gallatin is a city on the rise, and poised to join the rest of the metro in growth, but it is still lacking when it comes to shopping, white collar jobs, and general amenities. It could, however, be a great place to live in a short time.

Smyrna (population ~40,000) - While Murfreesboro takes most of the credit for the growth of Rutherford county, Smyrna should not be forgotten. It does not have as much to offer as Murfreesboro, but there are some nice developments in town. One thing it has over Murfreesboro is proximity. It is a good 10 minutes closer to Nashville along the interstate. Getting into downtown is still tough, though, because of the congestion at the I-24/I-40 merger. Being closer to Murfreesboro, you might find yourself traveling there as much, if not more often than to Nashville. Smyrna does have some retail and restaurants (mainly chains), but shopping opportunities are better in Murfreesboro. Hickory Hollow in Nashville is not far, but I would strongly suggest that you avoid there, as the area has deteriorated greatly in the past decade. Unfortunately, Cool Springs is not particularly close, either. Smyrna is likely a nice place to live, and the location between Nashville and Murfreesboro is ideal, but traffic problems plague this sprawl-driven county. La Vergne is right up the road from Smyrna, but from my experience, it can be very hit or miss.

There are still other options that you might consider...smaller communities around town, and other neighborhoods of Nashville (such as Bellvue and Donelson), but considering what you are looking for, I would probably narrow it to Franklin, Murfreesboro, Hendersonville, and Mount Juliet.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Tennessee State University is 1 of our employers, the other is up in the air (a few possibilities). I looked into Henderson & it looks nice, but I read some bad things about it.
I don't mind a little snow...it has been almost 2 months since we've seen grass here so anything is better than that!
Tennessee State University is on the west side of Nashville, so that might change things a little bit. The commute wouldn't change much from Franklin, but since you would have to go through town, Murfreesboro and Mount Juliet would definitely be a haul. Hendersonville might not be too bad, though.

I also mentioned Bellevue in my last post...it's further out in west Nashville. It's a nice area and I think the lower schools there are decent. That would at least put you on the right side of town for TSU. However, it can feel somewhat far from the "happening" sides of town where all of the development is being built.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:29 PM

Thanks everyone for all of the advice so far - I'm still pretty stuck on Franklin I looked into Henderson a bit, it might be a lovely place to live, but I don't see myself there for some reason (pretty nice public transportation goes from Henderson to Nashville though). I also did not see as many homes in Henderson, but it is also much smaller than the other locations I've been looking.

If anyone is from Franklin and has any comments about it - living there, growing up there, I'd love to here them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville