Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2010, 03:40 PM

584 posts, read 1,137,889 times

Advertisements

When we moved in the past (years and years ago), the moving company came to our home, walked through it, and guestimated how much our belongings would weigh and how much space on a moving truck they would need to transport our belongings.

Do you know how the moving companies make the guestimation? I assume actual charges are based on weight after the truck is loaded. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

Merry Christmas!

Anony-Momma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 08:58 PM

30 posts, read 78,369 times
Default moving ...

I for one just finished moving across country, so I guess I'm qualified

we used U-Pack http://www.upack.com/ and are real happy , you pay for the footage you use in the truck, they have a guide tool that can help you estimate , the guide for us was at 21 feet, but that didn't take into account all the "crap" I have in the garage, so we ended up at 27 ft in a 28 ft trailer, cost was $2800 door to door from Calif to Nashville ... we also used their loading and unloading service, so we ended up at $5500 total invoice, and they showed up on time, and delivered in the 5 days they said it would take, only bad is that they "forgot" to come and get the trailer, so I *think* some of the neighbors aren't happy with the trailer in my driveway for the holidays, but ...

We even shipped our 3 cars, but didn't use u-pack's service for that, found a company here in Mt Juliet to handle the car shipping and they we're #350 less then the folks thru U-pack .. dunno why, but we're glad to use a local company anyway

any more questions, feel free to ask ...

Old 12-26-2010, 06:37 AM

Thank you, rdessin! Congrats on your recent move! And you shipped your cars - I'm jealous! We lived in So Cal for a while and on our move there and back we drove both ways (company wouldn't ship our cars). Driving that far that quickly was so much work!

We have a weight limit according to the paperwork I've seen regarding the relocation. I have no idea how to guestimate how many feet our stuff would take on a truck or how much it will weigh. We have never moved w/ children, so we have a lot more stuff, and many, many more books. I'm wondering if I should be getting rid of stuff - I don't want to get rid of the books to have to buy them again at our destination.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:21 AM

30 posts, read 78,369 times
well, going off memory (don't have the paperwork handy at this time) for 21 feet, they estimated 9500 pounds, the actual weight for 27 feet was 13000 something, lots of heavy garage stuff, but that work out to 464 pound per foot at worst for my junk ...

Old 12-26-2010, 07:28 AM

I'm wondering whether to bring the snowblower with us (wink) or throw it in w/ our home sale here.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:13 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
I caught your wink, but just to make sure, you seriously don't need a snowblower here unless you move to the Cumberland Plateau.

And I love books, but taking a good, hard look at them and reevaluating which ones you really don't need could save you money.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:00 AM

265 posts, read 488,796 times
We second using U-Pack if you can (through ABF freight). We've used them twice now, from Atlanta to Chicago and Chicago to Nashville. Excellent service and *knock wood* nothing broken either time, save one Christmas ornament and one plate. Not too shabby.

As for moving book, we had a ridiculous amount of books when we moved from Atlanta to Chicago--even after paring down and donating several boxes. When we were moving to Nashville, I again pared down and donated to the public library probably 15 boxes worth. Still have so many....we love books too. The best suggestion I have, if you are set on keeping the books, is to ship them media mail or UPS. The cost was far cheaper to do that and it leaves more room on the truck for other stuff. Our younger son has a hard time giving books away, even when they are far below his reading level and he's read them countless times. We compromised by telling him that if he donated his copy, he could always check it out again at the library. So far he's only reread a few. The Brentwood public library is incredible--so much nicer than the very nice library we left in IL. I've not been to any of the Williamson County branches, but hear they are ok too.

And we left our snowblower behind. ;-)

Old 12-26-2010, 10:33 AM

We will use whatever moving company the relocation package gives us.

Decisions, decisions. I homeschool part of my crew; homeschoolers tend to have more books. Additionally, I have a large personal library of books on one particular topic that I would consider donating to a non-profit that serves that population OR to my local library, but I would rather do that at my destination (so that I would still have access to them should I need them), not the location we are leaving.

I hadn't thought of mailing them if we are over the weight limit on the truck. Thanks for that info. Media mail is a GREAT idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville