Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:03 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,053,319 times

Advertisements

The rezoning is not an ongoing process. A few neighborhoods were rezoned over the years when new schools opened, but this is the first time the entire county is being rezoned.
The school board is going to vote by the end of the year on new zones, and that will be it for the forseeable future.
A few parents are just p*ssed because their expectations are going to be changed. But the longer they protest and drag out the rezoning vote, the more it hurts the schools overall because serious actual education issues are being tabled while we wait for the new school zones to be approved.

You just happen to be asking questions about schools during the most contentious rezoning the county has ever experienced. I would just wait a couple of months, do some research on resources for your specific allergy/special ed issues and then look at neighborhoods when the zoning has been decided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 06:34 AM

584 posts, read 1,138,076 times
Wmsn4Life, our timing stinks, doesn't it? Makes researching from afar in preparation for a relocation challenging.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:19 AM

82 posts, read 406,635 times
Thanks Wmsn4Life. I think this info helped us with our decision on whether to rent a house or buy right away. Not exactly my preference but renting seems to be the most viable option until the board makes up its mind on what it wants to do. We can then buy a house once the dust settles.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISTOMOVE View Post
Thanks Wmsn4Life. I think this info helped us with our decision on whether to rent a house or buy right away. Not exactly my preference but renting seems to be the most viable option until the board makes up its mind on what it wants to do. We can then buy a house once the dust settles.
Honestly, I think that's the best idea. There are a lot of good rental deals right now as many homes sit on the market. You also will have many homes to choose from whenever you decide to buy.

Especially if you are coming from far away and have a lot of needs, it will help to get to know the area first without the pressure of committing to a mortgage.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:09 PM

265 posts, read 488,864 times
We moved here at the end of July and are currently renting a house in Brentwood. We have been able to narrow down where we want to live (based on the subdivision). I highly recommend renting first, if possible. It has not been easy at times, but we have been fortunate to rent a nice house in a nice neighborhood with great landlords who have helped us acclimate to the Nashville area.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:51 PM

80 posts, read 179,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy-bound View Post
We moved here at the end of July and are currently renting a house in Brentwood. We have been able to narrow down where we want to live (based on the subdivision). I highly recommend renting first, if possible. It has not been easy at times, but we have been fortunate to rent a nice house in a nice neighborhood with great landlords who have helped us acclimate to the Nashville area.
Where's the best place to look for rental homes? Any suggestions for websites? (other than realtracs - haven't seen too many listings on there.) I've also looked at craigslist but I often find the same houses listed over and over again.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:03 PM

Craigslist isn't really used here to the extent that it is on the coasts. Realtracs does have rental listings,though they are limited. Rentals.com has more houses than most.
Try The Tennessean classified section and realtor websites.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:46 PM

265 posts, read 488,864 times
We looked in the classifieds and Craigslist and Realtracs. We found the house we are currently renting on Craigslist. This is the slow time of year, where people are pulling their houses off the market and waiting until the holidays are over. What is your timeframe? Maybe you could rent the house we are renting and we can buy LOL ;-) We found that when we started looking in April (right after I made my grad school decision) there was quite a lot on the market. By June, when we finally decided to rent and not buy right away, our options were much more limited. We looked at a few real dogs of rental houses. The one we ended up with was a gem and we couldn't have done better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville