Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 04:17 PM

271 posts, read 1,670,359 times

Advertisements

I'm going to the U2 concert at Vanderbilt University next summer. I've never been to Nashville before. So I was hoping that any Music City residents here could give me some advice. I'd like to keep the expenses and the number of inconveniences during my trip as low as possible.

First- What is the best way to get from Nashville Airport to Vanderbilt University? Should I settle for a rental car?

Second- I'm thinking about staying at the Extended Stay America Hotel down the road from the university campus, because its cheapest out of all the hotels in the Vanderbilt area.

Could I walk from that hotel to Vanderbilt Stadium for the concert? Would it be safe to walk back to that hotel at night after the concert?

Should I just rent a car and drive from the hotel to the stadium? If so, what is the parking situation like at Vanderbilt Stadium?

What do you Nashvillians think would be my best bet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 06:27 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,216,183 times
You can get a shuttle from the airport to most local hotels for around $20 RT. I am not sure about that particular hotel, but there are plenty of hotels around campus that are within walking distance to the stadium with plenty of bars, shops and restaurants within walking distance. I' d spend the extra money you'd spend on a rental car and get a hotel close to campus that is a bit nicer. Do you have a particular hotel budget? If you book early enough in advance you should be able to save some money.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:48 PM

271 posts, read 1,670,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
You can get a shuttle from the airport to most local hotels for around $20 RT. I am not sure about that particular hotel, but there are plenty of hotels around campus that are within walking distance to the stadium with plenty of bars, shops and restaurants within walking distance. I' d spend the extra money you'd spend on a rental car and get a hotel close to campus that is a bit nicer. Do you have a particular hotel budget? If you book early enough in advance you should be able to save some money.
What particular shuttle service would you recommend?

Anyway, the Extended Stay is a mile from the stadium, and the total cost for the entire stay is only $150 or so. Most of the hotels within the campus are charging $300-$600 for two nights.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:35 AM

97 posts, read 272,560 times
I'd stay at the Extended Stay and I'd walk to the stadium even if I had a car (to avoid the hassle of parking near the stadium). It's a 15 minute walk and perfectly safe.

Cab fare is about $25 each way, so add in tips and it's about $60 for your trip. You can rent a car at Avis for about $70 for two days.

The transportation cost is about the same either way. Everything you need is within walking distance of your hotel. Unless you want to get out and explore, I'd go with the cab. You don't have to check the car in and out and stop and fill it up before returning it.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:56 PM

3,081 posts, read 3,356,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
What particular shuttle service would you recommend?

Anyway, the Extended Stay is a mile from the stadium, and the total cost for the entire stay is only $150 or so. Most of the hotels within the campus are charging $300-$600 for two nights.
Grey Line of Nashville may be your only choice. $20RT Many hotels have their own bus or contract with Grey Line.

Grey Line can be your source for city tours. The MNTA (Metro Bus) has a brochure to take you other places via the city bus. Google Transit can help you find your city bus & where to go.

Getting to the Vandy Stadium from your hotel is best done by walking. Not too bad & is safe. You will have a choice of places nearby to dine. Also near is Centennial Park & the Parthenon.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:38 PM

153 posts, read 690,241 times
If cost is a primary concern for you, how about the Scarritt Bennett center as an alternative to the extended stay?
Scarritt Bennett Center | Conference, Retreat and Educational Center in Nashville, TN | Meeting | Guest Rooms

Old 11-01-2010, 03:10 PM

455 posts, read 1,142,495 times
If you decide to go with public transportation, you should know that you can take the #3 bus right downtown from Vanderbilt (it runs down West End past the Extended Stay Hotel).

Once Downtown, Nashville has a FREE Music City Circuit bus that you can use to tour downtown at your own pace. Welcome to the Nashville MTA!

If money is tight, there are some cool free things to see such as the Tennessee State Museum or the Parthenon (have to pay to see museum inside, but outside is free to all and is right across West End Ave from Vanderbilt) - Tennessee State Museum Nashville.gov - Parks and Recreation, Parthenon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville