Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 01:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,927 times

Advertisements

Im am a singer-songwriter that will be moving to nashville in the next two to three months. im looking for a safe place to stay that is close to the music industry scene and the bus route. I need to find a place as cheap as possible and i am willing to roommate if nescesary. Also I possibly will be visiting to scout out somewhere to stay in the next month. Any advise greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 02:33 PM

353 posts, read 1,001,213 times
Not to burst your bubble, but Nashville is FULL of people like yourself. That is the up and coming/wannabe singer song writer. So unless you are indepentdently wealthy or have lock solid connection, you will be up against a lot of others looking for the same, job, apartment, etc..

Good Luck either way.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:05 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
True, but it doesn't sound like they're expecting a deal in a year or anything. The really great ones break through. Maybe you're it.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2010, 04:35 PM

Ive been planning this a long time and I know exactly what Im up against... Thanks for the warning... but I really have my mind made up about moving. I kinda just wanted to know what parts of town the writers usually stayed in... I would like to be as close to the scene as possible so I can network on a daily basis. I fully understand that it could take three to five years just to get a foot in the door. Also thanks akm4 for not just assuming everyone is a wanna be like the majority does. The great ones do break through and I believe I have the potential to be as good as anyone in this town. One thing is also for sure no one ever got discovered in land lock nebraska or my small town in carolina. You should learn to dream a little Why am I here. I know sometimes life can suck it out of ya. If a person believes that they will fail then failure is then certain my friend. Also how do you define success? I think writing good songs... making records... and chasing your dream everyday is success enough even without monetary gains. So worst case scenario Im content with my decision. Its just a matter of whether I fill my belly with steak or bologna from here on out. Probably gonna be bologna for awhile. lol

Old 10-14-2010, 04:47 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,797 times
I worked for a music festival in Austin. The producer of that event is a nationally known talent buyer.
I can't tell you how many "songwriters" I met in a decade that approached us. Most weren't songwriters,
except in their own mind.

I wish you good fortune. You'll need more than luck. I hope you're skilled because otherwise you're spinning your wheels.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:57 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
East Nashville is a popular place for musicians to settle. It's a gentrified neighborhood but you can find some rental homes there that hopefully will fit your budget. In the words of Todd Snider (who makes his home in East Nashville) "we're that guy from your neighborhood who'd rather pick than eat, and we've all come here to do almost exactly that." Not sure about the bus route proximity, but I think there's a route that runs on Shelby, Woodland, and Main/Gallatin Road. And, E Nashville has some rough spots...there's public housing nearby and the crime level is higher there, but it does have a bohemian/hipster vibe to it that is very musician-friendly.

As for other areas of town, check around the 12th Avenue South area...it has become more high-rent in the last few years but is VERY close to Music Row and there's a bus route. Plus there are colleges in the area, which means cheaper rent. I'd also explore 8th Avenue in the Melrose area. Some rough spots, but cheaper rent, on a bus route, and I knew several friends from college who lived in apartments there and never had any problems. Still close to Music Row, but also very very close to Grimey's New & Preloved Music...the best music store in the city.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:36 PM

Thanks Don Corleone... the first advise Ive gotten. I appreciate it and will check out the areas you recommended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville