Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 10:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,783 times

Advertisements

Hi I am looking to get some information on neighborhoods and schools in nashville. I used to live in murfreesboro 7 years ago and loved it but I think the commute would be too much everyday especially this time around since I now have kids to factor into the equation.

I have a great job offer at a company around the trousdale road/ 37220 area.
Looking initially to rent an apt or an affordable house around $850 or less a month. I can afford more,but I am really trying to live well below my means. Can anyone recommend any good neighborhoods with good schools within that range.

My oldest son is currently in a private Christian school in Florida and the tuiton is .much cheaper in Florida than it is in tn so I may not be able to afford to put him in private school in Tn unfortunately,so I would love to find a great public,magnet or charter school to send him to. Or even an affordable diverse Christian private school.

Also any good preschool programs for my youngest son. He is currently in headstart
Anyway I thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by makarios79; 09-15-2010 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 09:13 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,736,860 times
How old are your children? 37220 is the Crieve Hall area. It is a really nice area with mid century ranches. The commercial area where your job will be is the beginning of a rougher area. But everything south of there in that zip code is nice. To rent a small house in that area will typically be $1000+. The elementary schools in that zip are good, middle schools are not. Artios Academy and David Lipscomb are 2 of the more affordable Christian schools that would be close to that area.

Williamson County would be the closest suburb. $850 in Williamson County would be a challenge, but I think you could probably find something. Franklin to your work would be 20-25 minutes if you were fairly close to the interstate. All the schools in Williamson County are good, so you would be fine with schools.

Goodlettsville/Hendersonville would be a better bet in your budget. The commute would be worse because you would be going through downtown and then coming south. But they have good schools and good quality of life with more affordable housing. I can't tell you good areas up there, so hopefully someone from Sumner County will pop in with more info.

One other option that would be close to your work and affordable would be Nipper's Corner- Edmondson Pike at Old Hickory Blvd. There are several apartment complexes there. Stay south of the ag center for the best area. Those apartments should all be zoned for Granbery elementary which is excellent. Again, the problem is middle school. But if you have a few years before 5th grade you could move there and apply to the magnet schools for middle school and explore private schools.

Crieve Hall Methodist church has a full time preschool and I have heard good things about it. The also have an afterschool program that picks up children from Crieve Hall elementary and Granbery. It would be very close to your work.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,783 times
Thanks for the information. My boys are currently in Kindergarten and 4 year old Pre-K, so middle school is not a pressing concern for me at the moment. Can't believe it starts at grade 5 here. I always thought grade 6 was pushing it...lol

I've heard a lot of great things about Crieve Hall Elementary, but didn't know if the other elementary schools in the Crieve Hall area were equally as good as everyone says crieve hall elementary.

I think Brentwood would be out of the budget I have set for myself. but I have found aome affordable places in Franklin. I am currently paying $1000 for rent plus $425 for private school tuition and after care. My youngest son currently goes to a free pre k program and his after care is also free. If I can find a great public school that would eliminate the cost of private education, at least for the moment and I could afford to spend more on rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
How old are your children? 37220 is the Crieve Hall area. It is a really nice area with mid century ranches. The commercial area where your job will be is the beginning of a rougher area. But everything south of there in that zip code is nice. To rent a small house in that area will typically be $1000+. The elementary schools in that zip are good, middle schools are not. Artios Academy and David Lipscomb are 2 of the more affordable Christian schools that would be close to that area.

Williamson County would be the closest suburb. $850 in Williamson County would be a challenge, but I think you could probably find something. Franklin to your work would be 20-25 minutes if you were fairly close to the interstate. All the schools in Williamson County are good, so you would be fine with schools.

Goodlettsville/Hendersonville would be a better bet in your budget. The commute would be worse because you would be going through downtown and then coming south. But they have good schools and good quality of life with more affordable housing. I can't tell you good areas up there, so hopefully someone from Sumner County will pop in with more info.

One other option that would be close to your work and affordable would be Nipper's Corner- Edmondson Pike at Old Hickory Blvd. There are several apartment complexes there. Stay south of the ag center for the best area. Those apartments should all be zoned for Granbery elementary which is excellent. Again, the problem is middle school. But if you have a few years before 5th grade you could move there and apply to the magnet schools for middle school and explore private schools.

Crieve Hall Methodist church has a full time preschool and I have heard good things about it. The also have an afterschool program that picks up children from Crieve Hall elementary and Granbery. It would be very close to your work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville