Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 07:16 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,255,563 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's official yet, but it looks pretty positive:

GM recalling 400 UAW workers at Spring Hill plant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 10:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,360,151 times
This is wonderful news!

Wow! VW at Chattanooga. The Leaf at Smyrna. YES!

Thank you, jwkilgore!

Old 09-17-2010, 04:13 PM

233 posts, read 721,545 times
Certainly any news about people going back to work is good! However, look closer as this particular article does not give the details. Although the statement today stated that 483 are going back to work, only 30 will be called back in the 1st quarter of 2011 and then others added in increments over time until full production of this engine starts in 2013. The workers being called back over time are high seniority GM (UAW) workers. It is yet to be seen if any suppliers to GM will be calling back/hiring due to this new development. At least 30 folks going back to work is better than 30 more being layed off, but it does not begin to make a dent in the unemployment rate of Maury County, or for that matter Spring Hill (which is half Maury and half Williamson). There still is a long way to go and until businesses have some sense of stability regarding government interference, most companies will be very hesitant to bring on new hires. JMHO...

Old 09-18-2010, 12:35 AM

Link to this information, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaC View Post
Certainly any news about people going back to work is good! However, look closer as this particular article does not give the details. Although the statement today stated that 483 are going back to work, only 30 will be called back in the 1st quarter of 2011 and then others added in increments over time until full production of this engine starts in 2013. The workers being called back over time are high seniority GM (UAW) workers. It is yet to be seen if any suppliers to GM will be calling back/hiring due to this new development. At least 30 folks going back to work is better than 30 more being layed off, but it does not begin to make a dent in the unemployment rate of Maury County, or for that matter Spring Hill (which is half Maury and half Williamson). There still is a long way to go and until businesses have some sense of stability regarding government interference, most companies will be very hesitant to bring on new hires. JMHO...

Old 09-18-2010, 08:23 AM

GM makes official announcement, will bring 483 jobs back to Spring Hill - Washington Business Journal

Check this article in the washington business journal. It give more details. Sorry it took me a while to find the article I saw on Friday morning.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
GM makes official announcement, will bring 483 jobs back to Spring Hill - Washington Business Journal

Check this article in the washington business journal. It give more details. Sorry it took me a while to find the article I saw on Friday morning.
Thank you. I looked and looked and couldn't find anything.

I'll tell you what, they announced today that Lee County, Florida is now at an unemployment rate of 13.7 percent. And that is far from the worst unemployment rate in Florida.

I use to live in Lee County but moved away to Knoxville five years ago. Knox County's rate is 7.7 percent.

I bring this up because you recently scorned Tennessee and said Florida was much better place to live. Comparing unemployment rates with Florida is a losing battle. Yes, there are counties in Tennessee that have high unemloyment rates, but there are also plenty of counties with decent unemployment, something that is very difficult to find in Florida.

Add to that cost of living, weather, scenery and much nicer people.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:54 AM

Hiknapster,
You are absolutely correct on the unemployment rates! In other posts, I was simply stating my personal opinion regarding Florida vs. Tennessee as far as quality of life, including proximity to family and friends. It's just an opinion.
We were all hoping that the Spring Hill plant would have some positive news and at least this is a start. Perhaps the time line stated in the article will be moved forward if the demand for this engine increases. That sure would be helpful in this area.
I also agree with your opinion regarding the Knox County area. The unemployment rate there is to be envied by others! I really like East Tennessee and have wished that there were opportunities there for us, but it didn't work out that way. Maryville is one of our favorite places! (I know, it's Blount County) Love to go to Aubrey's - nice, fun place for a meal.
Take care...

Old 09-19-2010, 11:02 AM

No, no. Blount County is wonderful, I agree. Are you sure there are still no opportunties for you in that area? The scenery, weather, people are just fabulous.

By the way, the revised figures for July have Knox County at 7.5 percent and Blount at 7.8 percent. Spring Hill is at 9.9 for July.

http://www.tennessee.gov/labor-wfd/l...2010county.pdf

Quote:
Hiknapster,
You are absolutely correct on the unemployment rates! In other posts, I was simply stating my personal opinion regarding Florida vs. Tennessee as far as quality of life, including proximity to family and friends. It's just an opinion.
We were all hoping that the Spring Hill plant would have some positive news and at least this is a start. Perhaps the time line stated in the article will be moved forward if the demand for this engine increases. That sure would be helpful in this area.
I also agree with your opinion regarding the Knox County area. The unemployment rate there is to be envied by others! I really like East Tennessee and have wished that there were opportunities there for us, but it didn't work out that way. Maryville is one of our favorite places! (I know, it's Blount County) Love to go to Aubrey's - nice, fun place for a meal.
Take care...

Old 09-19-2010, 12:49 PM

Hummm...perhaps I should look into the area again as far as employment, although the job I have right now is great! The main sticking point is my SO. He worked for one of the suppliers to the GM plant. That's why we keep such close track of what's going on there. I'll have to look around for him in the Knoxville area. You never know until you try, right?!
Have a happy Sunday!

Old 09-19-2010, 06:52 PM

http://www.columbiadailyherald.com/articles/2010/09/19/top_stories/001gm.txt (broken link)

See this link for a local article on the time frame of the jobs coming back to the plant in Spring Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville