Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 12:07 PM

163 posts, read 586,743 times

Advertisements

One because we haven't sold our current house...and two because we haven't found a house we really want.

So onto my question: Hubby is currently working during the week at his new job in Smyrna. After work, he rides around the area to get an idea of it. He has also been looking at houses with our realtor. Now, he has rode around in the Cedar Grove Estates area in La Vergne...though he says it is really close to the Smyrna city line. Is this a good area? I think he is going to go look at 4 houses in the area, which makes me wonder why so many are for sale.

I have seen a few nice houses in La Vergne but I don't know what is the "good" side and what is the "bad" side. Any roads to make notes of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 03:01 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,865,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post
One because we haven't sold our current house...and two because we haven't found a house we really want.

So onto my question: Hubby is currently working during the week at his new job in Smyrna. After work, he rides around the area to get an idea of it. He has also been looking at houses with our realtor. Now, he has rode around in the Cedar Grove Estates area in La Vergne...though he says it is really close to the Smyrna city line. Is this a good area? I think he is going to go look at 4 houses in the area, which makes me wonder why so many are for sale.

I have seen a few nice houses in La Vergne but I don't know what is the "good" side and what is the "bad" side. Any roads to make notes of?

IMO, I would avoid anything with a La Vergne address. It isn't good for future value. Some parts of the city are pretty nice but the name seems to scare off most buyers.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:06 PM

We aren't planning on moving for at least 16 years or more...after our daughter graduates high school. It could be longer depending on how long hubby wants to stay in the National Guard full time. So the house we buy now, will be our house for many years to come....thus the reason we are really looking hard and at the areas. So who is to say the area won't be better by then....I think our main concern now is safety for our 2 year old.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:16 PM

764 posts, read 2,562,799 times
Quote:
We aren't planning on moving for at least 16 years or more...after our daughter graduates high school.
If that's the case, you DO NOT want to be anywhere near LaVergne unless you plan on putting your daughter in a private high school. The high school is overcrowded already and is projected to have close to 3,000 students in 2013 - a nightmare considering it's designed to hold about 2,000. The school board is considering building a new high school to help alleviate this, but it won't solve the Antioch/Lake Forest issue at LaVergne.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:24 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,865,483 times
Quote:
We aren't planning on moving for at least 16 years or more...after our daughter graduates high school. It could be longer depending on how long hubby wants to stay in the National Guard full time. So the house we buy now, will be our house for many years to come....thus the reason we are really looking hard and at the areas. So who is to say the area won't be better by then....I think our main concern now is safety for our 2 year old.
My concern with La Vergne is that it will be much worse in 16 years, not better.

The city government of La Vergne allowed developers to put up whatever they wanted in the city just to keep the high growth numbers. The result was a lot of poorly built homes in poorly developed neighborhoods. The city also pursued industrial/warehouse growth which doesn't really make for an attractive suburban city. Those things along with the proximity to Antioch make La Vergne's long term forecasts look bleak.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:40 PM

Thank you! I know most say to stay away but that is the now, we need to know the now and the future....like in the next 20 years.

The houses he looked at all have Cedar Grove Elementary, Rocks Springs Middle School and La Vergne High School as the schools for the area.

The houses are on the Smyrna/La Vergne line...or so he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: