Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:20 AM

20 posts, read 96,793 times

Advertisements

Wanted to see if anyone knows of a reputable builder that doesn't cost a fortune to build this house on our own land Plan W48034FM: Photo Gallery, European, French Country House Plans & Home Designs

Looking to keep the cost of the house between 250kish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 09:59 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,099,663 times
Sorry, I have no clue. I know that a LOT of builders and contractor are still dealing with flood victims and re-building the Opry property. I've always wanted to buy a piece of land and get one of those small pre-fab green energy efficient little houses built for my retirement so will watch this thread to see if you get any responses. Does this come in a kit? I remember hearing about buying a house from Sears in the . . 40's? Maybe later. I mean, you get the plans and that's it?

Old 08-16-2010, 12:14 PM

102 posts, read 709,126 times
I had to laugh when I saw you picture. This is the type of house I want to build in St Louis. Only problem is the price $1.5million to $2.0 million in st louis.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:45 PM

627 posts, read 1,848,630 times
Good luck building a house for less than $100 per square foot. I don't think it can be done.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:28 PM

3 posts, read 6,141 times
Unfortunately the plans you are providing cannot be built within your budget. My guess is that you're attempting to determine your budget based on the square footage which is not a good factor for determining construction costs. You can build a big large square box for a lot less than it will cost to construct an intricately designed home with 8', 9', 10', 11' ceilings and varying roof pitch. The trusses alone will cost you a fortune based on the architectural design. Realistically you're likely looking in the range of $450,000 for construction costs depending on finishes and location as well as permit and tie-in costs...

Old 08-17-2010, 07:58 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,737,946 times
My parents had a very similar home built in Memphis- very similar in floor plan and style, but bigger, about 3600 square feet. They had arched doorways and other extras. When they moved here they got quotes from several builders on rebuilding the same plan and the quotes were $750K to $900, not including the land.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:32 AM

22 posts, read 42,370 times
Good points already made on square footage and price per foot, but you may be able to accomplish some of this in a similar home design. You might visit a few of the local builder web sites and see if something they are already building comes close to what your needs are in your next home. You might be pleasantly surprised at how well some of our local builders can adapt their plans / your plans to achieve the same functionality.

Locally, you’d probably be safe to assume something in the $130-165/ft range for a custom home of this complexity. Lots of variables based on the intricacies of this footprint, roofline, and lot width required; still, a good time to be bidding a building job and buying land.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:46 PM

20 posts, read 96,793 times
Yeah we are thinking about maybe doing something contemporary like like this one

Plan W69446AM: Contemporary, Narrow Lot House Plans & Home Designs

What are your guy's thoughts on something like this?

Old 08-17-2010, 02:06 PM

374 posts, read 694,200 times
To the OP: Why would you want to build that (referring to first plan)? Aren't there plenty of faux chateau McMansions being auctioned/foreclosed on right now? There is no point (especially from a cost perspective) in custom building something that is not unique.

Last edited by sucrose; 08-17-2010 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: unclear

Old 08-17-2010, 03:29 PM

75 posts, read 199,009 times
Custom houses a very expensive to build. When we were looking to move from NJ to PA(where I am now) we looked into buying land and building a house, it would've cost us a fortune to do so and that was in Lancaster county back in the late 1990s. Everything's extra, nothing's included. At lease that's how it was back then.

I would suggest looking into a prefab/modular homes. A couple years ago we looked into buying one in NC(Raleigh/durham area). The cost back then was around $170K for the house. I don't know how much land would cost though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville