Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 06:53 AM

274 posts, read 998,219 times

Advertisements

I live in the suburbs of Nashville and it'd roughly be a 15 minute drive (without traffic) to the airport from where I live if I took the back roads and probably a little shorter if I took the interstate, again assuming without traffic.

I will be doing a lot of traveling each week, but I really don't feel like leaving my car out there sitting in a parking lot for most of the work week but if I have to I will. I'm concerned for safety and random weather. I did find a place with mostly good reviews called "Fly Away Parking" which supposedly is a 24-hr guarded and fenced in parking lot 5 min from the airport where you park there and an express shuttle takes you directly to the airport for a relatively cheaper rate than parking at the terminal itself.

Since taxis and shuttles don't really come around this area, would it be more cost effective to just drive to the airport and park my car there versus scheduling a taxi or a shuttle to pick me up? Or is there a good shuttle/taxi service that goes to the suburbs that is reliable (meaning no 17 stops along the way and a long waiting time for them) and gives you a flat rate to pick you up and drive you back from the airport each week? Now granted, ground transportation to the airport is an expensable item for my company but I'd just prefer to find the most cost effective route to take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 09:34 AM

8 posts, read 14,356 times
After trying the various options, we've started taking a taxi to the Nashville airport. From midtown, they charge a flat rate and we've tried to time our arrivals/departures to avoid high traffic times. Plus, if you find a driver you like, you can request them for your travels (if they are available). You might try calling a couple taxi companies to see if they can accommodate you and what they would charge. The one time we tried the shuttle, it cost just about as much, plus it meandered picking up other passengers, which didn't work out very well. We've also tried the park-and-fly lots. They work well, but if you are parked there a number of days, it can be as much cost as a taxi. Good luck with finding the option that's right for you.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:03 PM

I think finding a taxi with a flat rate that's reliable is the way to go. Do you have any recommendations on shuttle/taxi services that go to/from the suburbs? (in my case around the surrounding Brentwood area)

Old 07-24-2010, 09:05 PM

225 posts, read 585,995 times
We have used "Fly Away Parking" a handful of times and have been very pleased by their efficiency and everything else. Of course, we always take our "crappiest car" (tho' not crappy) and have never had any problems.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansaichick View Post
We have used "Fly Away Parking" a handful of times and have been very pleased by their efficiency and everything else. Of course, we always take our "crappiest car" (tho' not crappy) and have never had any problems.
While I'd prefer to have a shuttle/taxi pick me up and drop me off, how quick can they take you to the airport once you get to Fly Away Parking? From what I've read, it's not your typical 15-20 min wait like if you actually parked at the airport.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutt Roh View Post
While I'd prefer to have a shuttle/taxi pick me up and drop me off, how quick can they take you to the airport once you get to Fly Away Parking? From what I've read, it's not your typical 15-20 min wait like if you actually parked at the airport.
In our experience, Fly Away had us on the shuttle as soon as we arrived at their lot and off to the airport within a couple of minutes. Then, when we flew back in to town, their shuttle picked us up within 5 minutes. I'm an Atlanta native who is very accustomed to the very efficient airport procedures of Hartsfield-Jackson airport (one of the world's busiest airports) and was quite impressed by Fly Away's procedures. I might have been impressed because I have gotten tired of BNA's way of doing things. When you think about what type of volume BNA handles on a daily basis, their check-in procedures are quite slow. We also find fly away coupons and the cost/time factor seems to work out (i.e. I wouldn't use it to save a few bucks if we had to make up for it in travel time).

Now, if you are not picking up the transportation tab, then I'd just taxi it for the convenience.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:45 PM

Thanks... that's interesting because it's something I've encountered when I flew through Detroit. There was another 'park and fly' place that once you showed up and parked your car there, a shuttle basically followed your car and picked you up to go to the airport. So it's good to know that it's like that for the Nashville airport.

I would prefer to have a shuttle or a taxi take me to and from the airport so I don't have to leave my car there, but I don't know how many will go around to the suburbs for a flat rate each time. I think most operate on a mileage fare basis, so it might end up costing more for a taxi/shuttle than for myself just parking my own car at Fly Away - especially if there's traffic. I'll ask my apartment complex if they have any good recommendations but I'm all ears if you know of any good shuttle services that are decently priced and reliable that go to/from the suburbs to the airport.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:15 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,444 times
I'm sending you a direct message with my taxi driver's number, maybe he can give you a good rate.

Courtney

Old 07-26-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
I'm sending you a direct message with my taxi driver's number, maybe he can give you a good rate.

Courtney
Thanks, Courtney, for helping her out! Sorry I couldn't help with the taxi referrals

Old 07-26-2010, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the tips. I've been looking online to do some research but what I'm learning is that shuttles typically offer a flat rate but they pick up multiple people along the way. You can request a taxi that can get you directly to the airport but it's typically not a flat rate - although I guess if you're a frequent traveler (which I will be) it can be negociable.

I would just hate having to park my car every week out there at an off-site lot especially since it's not covered parking or even a parking garage... you just never know about the weather. I would feel safer leaving my car at my home garage while I'm flying. However, if I have to park it out there it seems that Fly Away is a good deal and they seem reliable according to your experiences.

Does anyone else have any additional suggestions as far as shuttles or taxis go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: