Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,319 times

Advertisements

I'll be in Nashville for one day in October, to see a show at the Ryman. I'll be there all day, starting around 9 am. I won't have a car, so I need things that are within walking distance of the bus station and Ryman. I'm into arty things - not really country music, though. I saw Frist center, and something about 5th ave art district? I'll have to eat lunch and dinner there. I've been reading the forum for ideas, but the problem is I don't know which things are all in walking distance. I suppose if something is really good I'd be willing to take like 30-45 minutes to walk to it, but I also can't afford to get lost! I know I have a good 3 months to plan what to do, but I like to look for ideas and things to get excited about.

I'm open to anything when it comes to food. Money isn't a huge issue, but I'd prefer more casual dining to anything super fancy, but I'd also like things that are more unique than hamburgers or something. I'd rather do things and eat at places the locals prefer rather than tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 03:27 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,475,272 times
What day of the week will you be here? That makes a difference as to what is open. Also (if you don't mind me asking) who are you seeing at the Ryman? I'm going to see the Avett Brothers at the end of October.

You'll pretty much be in the heart of the tourist/entertainment district. 2nd Avenue has loads of bars and restaurants, as does Broadway...both are 1-3 blocks from the Ryman. I'd suggest Jack's BBQ on Broadway for lunch. They've got really good BBQ (especially for a touristy area) and are very reasonably priced. Others swear by Rippy's BBQ (right across the street from the Bridgestone Arena), but I'm partial to Jack's myself.

I'd suggest you check out the Hatch Show Print Shop on Broadway. It's owned/operated by the Country Music Hall of Fame, but it's free to go in and look around. They have been making concert and other prints here for decades. Odds are that the show you're going to see will have a Hatch Show Print made for it. Most Ryman shows that I've been to have them for sale there at the Ryman. A cool artsy place to check out and watch them make posters. They also have hundreds of old prints for sale too.

Our Work » Country Music Hall of Fame

The Frist Center is a good walk, but not too far. The Ryman is at 4th/5th Avenue and Broadway (basically). The Frist is on the other side of 8th and Broadway. So it's a good 5 blocks or so up a hill. It probably won't be scortching hot in October, but if it is, grab a bottle of water and you should be okay. They also have a good cafe there at the Frist too. They have traveling exhibits at the Frist and it looks like the Chihuly exhibit will be there for awhile. But check the website in a month or two to see if they have anything special going on.

Frist Center for the Visual Arts - Nashville, Tennessee

If you walk to the Frist, be sure to check out the architecture around there. There are lots of beautiful buildings within a block of the Frist. The Frist itself is a very beautiful art deco building. Next door is Union Station, which is worth walking through if you're into architecture at all. It is now a hotel. The Flying Saucer is a good bar/restaurant behind Union Station, too. Across the street from the Frist is Christ Church Cathedral, which is one of the most beautiful churches around in my opinion. Just down the street is Hume Fogg Hich School and Customs House...both beautiful with cool architecture.

You mentioned some art places on 5th Avenue. The Arts Company is on 5th just past Church Street. That will be sort of on your way back from the Frist to the Ryman...but up an extra block. There are a couple other art galleries around there too, but honestly I don't know anything about them. And I'm also not sure about the Arts Company's hours. Check and make sure they'll be open on the weekend. A large part of downtown is pretty dead on weekends. The touristy areas are hopping, but the areas on 5th/Church might not be open.

Finally, if you want to walk a little more and have the energy, you might want walk to the Hermitage Hotel on 7th and Union St. and the State Capitol. Both are about another 4 blocks north from the Frist. The Hermitage Hotel is a beautiful hotel and is home to the nation's finest men's room. Seriously! They even let women in when the coast is clear.

A Nashville Luxury Hotel — The Hermitage Hotel — Downtown Nashville, Tennessee

Just across the way is the State Capitol. If you have some time to kill, it's worth checking out. A beautiful piece of architecture and lots of neat art inside. I have been told it's the oldest working state capitol building...but that's been disputed. In any case, its free to walk around and take a tour.

An art person really should check out Centennial Park. It's home to the world's only full scale replica of the Parthenon. There is also an art gallery in the basement, usually. But it's not within walking distance at all. It is on West End Avenue near Vanderbilt University. I'm sure there are busses that run from downtown to Centennial Park. That might be worth looking at if you think the Parthenon is worth checking out.

Good luck and welcome to Nashville.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,319 times
I'm going to see the National! Unfortunately it's on a Sunday. I hadn't even thought of checking the day of week until now. Hmm. Thank you for all your suggestions. I'll almost definitely go to Jack's for lunch! I actually do really want to see the Parthenon, but I'm always nervous about buses in cities I'm unfamiliar with, but maybe it will be worth it to at least look what the schedule/map would be like for it.

How much do the Hatch prints usually cost? I did see that before and thought it looked really cool. I love the idea of having a print from my own show, too, so I hope mine does! Thanks so much for all your ideas. I'm really looking forward to it, even though it's only one day.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:00 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,093,586 times
There ARE buses that run on Sundays - here is the link to the website Welcome to the Nashville MTA!

Hatch ShowPrint is GREAT and worth seeing. There are some posters (10 X 17 perhaps?) that are just $10 - @20. I bought one that was over $100 but for the most part, they are an affordable souvenir. They also have postcards that are one of a kind for about $1.

IF you just get tired of walking around, there IS a Panera Bread near the Ryman that's open on Sundays and you could probably sit there for an hour or two and write postcards if you wanted. Have a nice visit!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:00 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,475,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamachine View Post
I actually do really want to see the Parthenon, but I'm always nervous about buses in cities I'm unfamiliar with, but maybe it will be worth it to at least look what the schedule/map would be like for it.
I haven't ridden MTA busses in a loooong time, but I would feel comfortable riding from downtown to West End. These are very well-traveled areas. You're likely to have more tourists on a route like that too. Plus it is a short distance...maybe 15 minutes by bus.

If you don't want to risk it the bus option (again, I think you'll be fine), you could pay for a taxi. All the hotels have taxi stands around them downtown. There's a hotel next to the Frist as I mentioned, the Hilton in front of the Country Music Hall of Fame, and the Renaissance on Commerce St near the Ryman. It shouldn't be too expensive of a ride to the Parthenon. Once you get there, there's a Marriott across West End Avenue from the main Centennial Park entrance where you should be able to get a cab. The main hotel entrance sits back about 30 yards from West End Avenue on Natchez Trace next to the Wendy's. I'm sure there will be a cab stand there or you can ask the hotel bellman to get you one to get you back to the Ryman.

Quote:
How much do the Hatch prints usually cost? I did see that before and thought it looked really cool. I love the idea of having a print from my own show, too, so I hope mine does! Thanks so much for all your ideas. I'm really looking forward to it, even though it's only one day.
As CountryGirl pointed out, they're pretty reasonable. I've purchased a 12X18 (or something like that) poster before for around $15-20. I'm pretty sure they'll have National posters made for the concert. They're a big-named band. This is weird to say, but I love the smell that Hatch Show Print has...smells like the woodburning set I used to have as a kid in there.

Enjoy your trip and let us know if you have any more questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville