Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 02:46 PM

27 posts, read 86,766 times

Advertisements

So today I look at the Tennessean (tennessean.com | The Tennessean | Nashville news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Nashville, TN) and it had an article about middle TN gangs.

26 with ties to Bloods gang indicted | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

Now, coming from South Florida I have never had to deal with anything gang related in my entire life. I'm not sheltered by any means, just never has come up.

So, to those of who who live in the Nashville or Franklin area what is the real deal with these gangs?

In the article it mentioned a shooting at a mall. Is that like a little strip mall in the hood or something?

I'm moving out of South Florida to get away from the "Urban Feel", these homies aren't in the better suburbs like Forest Hills or in the country right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 02:52 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,633,731 times
Never had any problem with anything having to do with gangs since I worked in SF many years ago. I'm sure it's one of those things that happens in the shadows, but it has zero effect on my life.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:52 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Same here. I've lived here 20 years and had no problems. They're here to some extent, but not in the mainstream. The article came out because an agency that was supposed to be helping kids get out of gangs turned out to be involved in illegal activity.

This topic was covered extensively on this forum a couple of months ago.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...e-suburbs.html

Old 06-26-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Same here. I've lived here 20 years and had no problems. They're here to some extent, but not in the mainstream. The article came out because an agency that was supposed to be helping kids get out of gangs turned out to be involved in illegal activity.

This topic was covered extensively on this forum a couple of months ago.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...e-suburbs.html

Thanks, I didn't see that thread when I searched under "gangs".

Old 06-26-2010, 07:40 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
You are far more likely to see gangs of soccer moms in tennis skirts than actual gangs in Franklin.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:23 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,337,304 times
And they can be SCARY!

Seriously, haven't noticed a thing and I live across from a public high school in Franklin.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:38 AM

7 posts, read 18,599 times
Gangs are slowly growing larger in Davidson county, but it seem like the Metro PD is trying to reduce the growth with a lot of undercover police out there. Franklin barely has any gang activity and the little bit I have heard about is maybe some graffiti and drinking, but again the police are trying to to prevent them before they grow too large.

There is crime in Nashville, just as there is in almost any city of its size, but unless you really go looking for it I doubt you will find much if any. There are areas to avoid like Antioch etc. but I have never felt threatened at all over my last threes years of living here.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:02 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,960,571 times
I came from South Florida too. Trust me, you see way more crap in South Florida then you will ever see here. People here tend to panic and make more out of things like "gangs". I am guessing because they are not used to any type of real gang activity. This is a good thing. The only gang members I think you would find in Franklin are the spoiled wannabe kids that are bored and make trouble. Franklin is a very safe place.

I have never seen anything in Nashville either. I think you would have to go looking for trouble in order to find it.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
I came from South Florida too. Trust me, you see way more crap in South Florida then you will ever see here. People here tend to panic and make more out of things like "gangs". I am guessing because they are not used to any type of real gang activity. This is a good thing. The only gang members I think you would find in Franklin are the spoiled wannabe kids that are bored and make trouble. Franklin is a very safe place.

I have never seen anything in Nashville either. I think you would have to go looking for trouble in order to find it.
Cool, thanks for the reassurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville