Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 06:34 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,544,694 times

Advertisements

Power back on in the Lakeside community (Airport and Vanderbilt). Last night around 9 pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2022, 09:11 AM

731 posts, read 768,164 times
Very grateful that my home in the Vineyards is fine. No damage, everything back to normal. Lost electric and internet/phone for a couple of days, but very thankful I'm OK.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:15 AM

1,627 posts, read 1,711,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
Very grateful that my home in the Vineyards is fine. No damage, everything back to normal. Lost electric and internet/phone for a couple of days, but very thankful I'm OK.
Great news, happy to hear that! Thanks for keeping us posted. Downtown 5th Ave looks like it got some storm surge, but I couldn't tell how high it was. Video on national news this morning had a shot of Ocean Prime, a beautiful restaurant.

Old 10-02-2022, 06:57 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
You left your cats behind? And now you can't get home to feed them? What are they supposed to do now?

We would never leave our pets home to face a hurricane alone. They're family.
What? The cats are fine, the house we’re renting is about 20 minutes from where the cats are. I go over every single day and feed them, the only day we skipped was the day of the hurricane, but they had two dog bowl size waters and two big bowls of dry food. I made sure they had plenty just in case.

The house had power so they got the air conditioner, while we sweated for days in the little house we rented. Our house is past Vineyard and that area came through just fine. I went over today, fed them and let them have the run of the house, then locked them in a bedroom, so the workmen won’t let them out.

After we get work done on the house, they’ll get a catio to enjoy the Florida winters. They’re family and deserve it.

Old 10-05-2022, 05:09 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Irma was a Cat 4/5 and actually hit SW FL. This is a Cat 1, will grow to a 3/4 and then reduce to a 2/1 when it hits North of Tampa. This is not a comparison to Irma - glad you aren't panic buying. Tuesday will be boring, hopefully the power doesn't go out. By Wednesday late afternoon the rain will be passing. Thursday life will be back to normal and hopefully Sunday will be nice for my latest open house
When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong...boy was I wrong!

The devastation is heart breaking. My mother barely got out of her apartment on 1st street before the canal flooded. She lost all her belongings. Thankfully she was able to go back and found my brother's urn.

Geico called her today about her renters policy - despite having hurricane coverage with a $1k deductible, they don't cover flood and they 'know here area flooded'. Unreal!

She's working with FEMA to get assistance, thankfully I found her a quick studio to move in to right away but its not for long term. I gotta find her a small 1/1 somewhere in SW FL.

I drove down to Jack's on the water and saw all the damage there, just incredible. Huge vacant lot filled with cars that flooded and were abandoned. Boats on the curb still, National Guard racing past us with sirens on, restaurants giving out free Food or discounted food to go (Leoni's, Sushi place, etc).

We left on Tuesday afternoon when it shifted East again..That 11AM advisory was enough for us. We tried to get a room in FTL but they sold out after the advisory (plenty of rooms at 8am when we were looking!). Stayed with family in Orlando til Monday. Lots of flooding up there but never lost power.

Now I'm trying to help donate what I can, where I can. St Leo's - we dropped off tons of food and diapers today. Hertz Arena - took them bags and bags of clothes. Cafe of Life - took them lots of kids stuff. Our brokerage associates are taking up shifts at Salvation Army & Red Cross stations.

This was 'the big one' that we always hoped never came.

Old 10-06-2022, 12:59 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,216,150 times
Quote:

The devastation is heart breaking. My mother barely got out of her apartment on 1st street before the canal flooded. She lost all her belongings. Thankfully she was able to go back and found my brother's urn.

Geico called her today about her renters policy - despite having hurricane coverage with a $1k deductible, they don't cover flood and they 'know here area flooded'. Unreal!

She's working with FEMA to get assistance, thankfully I found her a quick studio to move in to right away but its not for long term. I gotta find her a small 1/1 somewhere in SW FL.

I drove down to Jack's on the water and saw all the damage there, just incredible. Huge vacant lot filled with cars that flooded and were abandoned. Boats on the curb still, National Guard racing past us with sirens on, restaurants giving out free Food or discounted food to go (Leoni's, Sushi place, etc).

We left on Tuesday afternoon when it shifted East again..That 11AM advisory was enough for us. We tried to get a room in FTL but they sold out after the advisory (plenty of rooms at 8am when we were looking!). Stayed with family in Orlando til Monday. Lots of flooding up there but never lost power.

Now I'm trying to help donate what I can, where I can. St Leo's - we dropped off tons of food and diapers today. Hertz Arena - took them bags and bags of clothes. Cafe of Life - took them lots of kids stuff. Our brokerage associates are taking up shifts at Salvation Army & Red Cross stations.

Maybe you should just stick to real estate and leave the weather to meteorologist, not that they faired much better in their predictions! All joking aside yea it’s sad. I also think we are making a mistake by rebuilding on the barrier islands. We are degrading SWFL’s environment quickly. All that debris in the waterways and Gulf. Yuck.

Old 10-06-2022, 01:18 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:

Glad your mom is ok, stuff can always be replaced, not loved ones. Sorry to hear about the lack of flood coverage, I was thinking it’s a waste of money, now I’m glad we have it.

You’re a good neighbor to get out and help! SWFL is lucky to have so many people who step up to help during a crisis.

Living on the water is something I’d never do, way too risky. We’re inland past Vineyards and things have fared pretty well, aside from mountains of cut down trees, shrubs and palm fronds in front yards. Gardeners have been super busy, but everyone’s yard looks nice again. The devastation along the coast is something that I hope doesn’t come again for many years. Living inland is safer.

Old 10-06-2022, 02:57 PM

1,627 posts, read 1,711,766 times
It took a long time to clean up the downed Palm trees from Irma. Truckload after truckload of debris being hauled away for months on end. We saw blue tarps on roofs for almost a year after it hit.

Old 10-09-2022, 06:51 AM

731 posts, read 768,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
It took a long time to clean up the downed Palm trees from Irma. Truckload after truckload of debris being hauled away for months on end. We saw blue tarps on roofs for almost a year after it hit.
I also remember that after Irma. In my Vineyards community and others, it was more of a wind issue with bulldozers needed to clear the streets so they were passable. Blue tarps on many roofs. There was less storm surge.

With Ian, In my Vineyards community and others, the cleanup is much more faster, with less trees/palms blocking roadways. I have not seen any blue tarps in my community. Ian's wind was lower here than when Ima hit. Unfortunately the storm surge for coastal communities is devastating. Areas with low elevations were also hit hard.

There are so many people banding together and helping. It's a wonderful thing to see in the middle of a horrific event.

Old 10-09-2022, 04:26 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
Surge, aint no joke in southwest Florida. you are well advised to have flood insurance if you are in any evacuation zone. You can look at the Surge risk maps for your specific address here by Category hurricane. In the worst case scenario which Ian was not, all of Collier County is flooded by 9+ feet of surge.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...b50fdcc3272e2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Glad your mom is ok, stuff can always be replaced, not loved ones. Sorry to hear about the lack of flood coverage, I was thinking it’s a waste of money, now I’m glad we have it.

You’re a good neighbor to get out and help! SWFL is lucky to have so many people who step up to help during a crisis.

Living on the water is something I’d never do, way too risky. We’re inland past Vineyards and things have fared pretty well, aside from mountains of cut down trees, shrubs and palm fronds in front yards. Gardeners have been super busy, but everyone’s yard looks nice again. The devastation along the coast is something that I hope doesn’t come again for many years. Living inland is safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples