Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 01:53 PM

40 posts, read 81,013 times

Advertisements

HOA bill getting pushed along - Local - The Sun News (http://www.thesunnews.com/142/story/857858.html - broken link)

I just read this which comes as a pleasant surprise...hopefully this bill passes
will give owners more say and transparency to HOA functions and not only a select few that run it.

most HOA's in MB are unreasonable w/high dues...voice your opinions to the state and support it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 04:29 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,334 times
HOA's are a good idea gone bad. They remind me of some of the early union movements that started off with good intentions but mutated into power hungry, money hungry monsters.

I guess this bill is a start, but it's a seriously watered-down version of steps that need to be taken. Notice there's no requirement for publicly posting meeting minutes, only making them available to individuals who request them. These individuals immediately are branded as trouble-makers and become targets for further harassment. The issue of term limits or open election for board members is not even addressed. Our HOA president considers himself "president for life" (doesn't Chavez carry the same title?) and if a board member decides to leave, we are given the option of voting on a new individual recommended by the board. Quite an elective process. How about meeting quorums? For the purposes of our meetings, members who were informed of the meeting but did not show up are counted as present. It's amazing how we always have 100% quorum.

I wish I could build up some optimism regarding the benefits of this bill, but unfortunately I have too much experience watching SC politics in action.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:01 PM

882 posts, read 3,537,892 times
PawleysDude..
Is your Association self managed or do you have a Mgmt Company? Feel free to PM me for a reply...

I'm not necessarily in favor of publicly posting minutes. An HOA is, for all practical purposes a non profit business (organization). As such, I don't really want every citizen out there knowing what's happening in my neighborhood... HOWEVER, I am in favor of minutes being made readily available and easily accessible by the members.

Term limits are generally outlined in the Master Deed & By-Laws but I tend to agree that in many instances, once a member is elected, they often stay on the BOD for a WHILE.. especially given that there are so few people who actually want to step up and serve on a BOD. I can count the number of concerns residents have voiced yet no one wants to step forward and serve on the BOD... Not only for my own Association but for many that I have managed. It's amazing.

There are as many good HOA BOD's out there as there are bad from my experience. The largest hurdle an Association has in this area is to get folks to express interest in their own community. So many folks in the area own here for second homes and investments that they typically could care less about the actual operation of their Association..... Terrible...

Old 04-22-2009, 07:29 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,334 times
Quote:
Is your Association self managed or do you have a Mgmt Company?
Good question. The developer of our single-family home community stepped out of the picture about 5 years ago. The HOA board hires a management company, apparently for "legal reasons" whatever that means. Any questions to the mgmt company are referred to the board president. The board also selects the landscaping company for common areas, pool management company, etc. To the best of my knowledge, the mgmt company handles only collection of HOA fees and issuance of official documents. They do not take part in any board meetings except the annual homeowners meeting.

I agree with you that meeting minutes do not need to be public in the broad sense of the term, but should be easily available to all property owners. Our community has a nice website, with the potential for PW protected documents. The board repeatedly declines to use this tool to share minutes with property owners. We also have an Architectural Review Board, appointed by the HOA board, with authority to issue exemptions to the bylaws, such as setbacks, tree removal, etc. ARB decisions are NEVER shared publicly.

Our bylaws define board member terms, but no maximum number of terms. If a board member wishes to remain, his/her name is the only one on the ballot. If he/she leaves, the only name on the ballot is someone recommended by the board. For years this was passed off as "lack of interest", until word got around last year that 4 community members requested to be nominated. After a fuss, the board agreed to review procedures, and then reached the decision that current procedures were adequate. What a surprise....

I know that condo properties are a different animal, particularly when a large percentage are investment owners or second homes. Our community is exclusively permanent residents, with the exception of a small number of upscale rental properties. We are also perceived as a desirable community, and all home buyers receive a copy of the bylaws. Unfortunately, you must live here awhile to be able to read between the lines. From discussions I've had with friends in other neighborhoods, our HOA is not an exception. IMO, even SC's government couldn't get away with conducting bizness like too many HOA's are currently doing. I don't have a lot of faith this bill is going to make much difference.

Oooops, the damn soapbox appeared again, didn't it. 'scuse me, I'll step back down....

Old 04-23-2009, 09:11 AM

40 posts, read 81,013 times
I strongly agree that HOA's are a good idea and gone bad in places where there's not enough involvement.
I'm originally from upstate SC where hardly any existed, my wife and I now live in MD with a great open HOA. it has term limits of 2 years and open to anyone in the community. In fact, my neighbor ran and won last year. she persuaded the board to implement several nice amenities with the reserves we had and slightly decreased dues.

if executed properly, HOA's are great for the owners and state. makes living clean, enjoyable and encourages new property owners and state revenue...if not, they dissuade owners who pass along the word.

I hope, sooner than later, MB grows enough to be a lively diverse year-round city to live in and not just a tourist destination from April-Oct.
this would influence my wife to move there one day

Old 04-07-2011, 08:21 PM

53 posts, read 332,354 times
[SIZE=3] People who are in defense of an HOA have never been at the other end of the stick. HOAs serve no purpose. I moved to my current location in Glenmoor subdivision of Conway Sc in order to be closer to my practice in Conway. I wanted to avoid HOAs all together but my wife love the home and I reasoned that HOA may be less overbearing on Home owners. We bought in 2009 and enjoyed our location until we had a falling out with our neighbor. Our neighbor is an retiree as well more than half the residents and also an HOA board member. Since then I have received 7 different violations and many of the violations are for rules that do not exist. Well after a year of the BS, my wife and I decided to move to an area w/o a HOA with 3 acres of land and 5 mins from my office. I turn out well for us, but for my neighbor he will have to get uses to living next to renters. [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area