Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 07:44 AM

3 posts, read 4,596 times

Advertisements

Hello all- I plan on moving to South Myrtle beach next month.

Yes, tired of the winter, city related noise, etc. I am a surfer and a beach lover who is ready for a change.

I have savings to rent a small apartment near the ocean and live comfortably for a few months. (i live in a small studio in the city, so space is not an issue.) I am a chef/kitchen manager, so I believe I can get a job.

I have family in NC, so I am aware of cultural, regional and ideological differences. I do love Southern Hospitality.

However, I have a just few questions regarding the area.

Are there local pubs, live music venues, markets, activities,art galleries in MB where a 40-something, liberal-minded city guy can meet a like-minded single woman?

Is the humidity overly oppressive in SC? I feel that it can't be worse than NYC heatwaves, and ozone alerts.

Do most locals frown upon northerners who relocate?

Is it absolutely necessary to own a vehicle? I choose dot to drive a car and prefer to get around with my bike and skateboards.

Thank you. Have a nice day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 08:36 AM

790 posts, read 1,621,451 times
Well, I'm well over 40 but I'll give a shot at answering some of your questions.

Places to meet ladies of your age: There are several night spots at Broadway at the Beach that attract a younger crowd as well as Market Commons.

Humidity is probably not any worse than a really humid NYC day BUT it lasts from June to the end of August...every day...not just a few days or a week....every day.

There are some locals who resent the northerners who move here but most that I meet are friendly and welcoming. However, you will meet many, many more people who relocated here than natives.

Depending on where you live, not owning a vehicle would be a major hassle. There is bus service with very limited routes and taxis are very expensive. MB is definitely not NYC...everything is spread out along the Grand Strand and unless you live near where you work and are lucky enough to have amenities nearby, getting to places you might want to be could be "a challenge" on a bike or skate board. Market Commons is a good place to be if you don't have a car...it's designed as a live/work/play community but it can be pricey compared to the rest of MB. And it's a couple of miles from the beach.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will chime in as well with more advice.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:05 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
As CT pointed out, many of the "now" locals are northerners. As for the natives frowning upon us northerners invading their town, probably -and rightly so - but you wouldn't know it by talking to them. They may gruff about us on the forum, or talk about it with their friends, but you would be hard-pressed to find anyone who would make you feel that way. In fact, the only people that I have encountered here that were anything less than pleasant didn't have a southern accent..... 'nuf said

Quote:
Are there local pubs, live music venues, markets, activities,art galleries in MB where a 40-something, liberal-minded city guy can meet a like-minded single woman?
you won't have any problem finding pubs, live music and markets ... finding a liberal minded single woman might be a little more challenging, as would be the art gallery.

Quote:
Is the humidity overly oppressive in SC? I feel that it can't be worse than NYC heatwaves, and ozone alerts.
I don't find the humidity to be any worse than up north, but I live within a close proximity to the beach.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-04-2011, 12:49 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
However, I have a just few questions regarding the area.

Is it absolutely necessary to own a vehicle? I choose dot to drive a car and prefer to get around with my bike and skateboards.
Yes, except for the like-minded single woman part. Down here, anything liberal-minded or progressive is imported.

Yes.

Yes, if by "locals" you mean "natives". On the flip side, it is extremely unlikely you'll ever encounter one.

Yes.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:07 PM

Thanks for your time and advice guys.

I did not know that there are so many (non-locals) in MB. I just hope that there are not to many vagabonds. I spent a few months in Daytona Beach in 2001, it seemed like most people I met there were on the run from something... and less than trustworthy, but I guess you get that element in most beach/tourist towns.

Good to know that the locals are cool with the newbies, it's all about mutual respect, i'm happy to hear about that and hope that I can add something to the community.

I have heard of the commons, I'll make sure I visit Broadway and the other spots.

Yeah, not New York, I can always head back north to visit friends and family...If anything, I think I will miss the diversity in cultures, and of course ethnic food. To live near the beach has always been a dream of mine. I was considering LA, but you can't swim in the pacific!

Looks like I may have to bite the bullet get a vehicle, I can tolerate bus commuting too bad the routes and schedules are limited.

As far as dating is concerned... I am in no rush,just a wonderin'.

I can deal with the humidity I guess. I'm sure the ocean and ocean breeze will help during the dog days.

Thanks so much! Please add any more info that you might find helpful!

Old 11-04-2011, 02:53 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,837 times
As far as transportation goes, the area is very bike, motocycle, scooter and golf cart friendly. You could probably get by without a car. In fact where I live in Murrells Inlet I believe I could live without a car. I have a big basket on my bike and all the stores and activities I would ever need are a 10/15 minute bike ride away.......

Old 11-04-2011, 11:34 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
you won't have any problem finding pubs, live music and markets ... finding a liberal minded single woman might be a little more challenging, as would be the art gallery.
Art what???

One of the main things I read on the forum that NY transplants complain about is ... we don't have New York Style Pizza. Believe it or not I have visited NY but failed to try the pizza. I am not one to criticize or judge but those NY pizzas must be really really good.

The Myrtle Beach area became the retiree mecca several years ago. The living expense is cheaper than Florida.

The only problem I have with people that relocate to SC is when they try to change things ... i.e. like it was in NY, NJ et al. Then we would be just like the place they left.

I don't think you will have any problems and it should be a good relocation for you ... except you might have to settle for a conservative GOP Southern Belle ... but she will already have her china pattern and silver pattern picked out ... the names for your first two children ... she will just have to use her sweet southern wiles and get you to the alter.

Best wishes with your move and be prepared for ... 'you ain't from 'round here are you' ... have you found a church yet ... we would love to have you visit our church ...

Old 11-05-2011, 07:53 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Art what???
One of the main things I read on the forum that NY transplants complain about is ... we don't have New York Style Pizza. Believe it or not I have visited NY but failed to try the pizza. I am not one to criticize or judge but those NY pizzas must be really really good.
The Myrtle Beach area became the retiree mecca several years ago. The living expense is cheaper than Florida.
The only problem I have with people that relocate to SC is when they try to change things ... i.e. like it was in NY, NJ et al. Then we would be just like the place they left.
I don't think you will have any problems and it should be a good relocation for you ... except you might have to settle for a conservative GOP Southern Belle ... but she will already have her china pattern and silver pattern picked out ... the names for your first two children ... she will just have to use her sweet southern wiles and get you to the alter.
Best wishes with your move and be prepared for ... 'you ain't from 'round here are you' ... have you found a church yet ... we would love to have you visit our church ...
LOL, thanks for your honesty and funny post. In reference to the pizza, yes the pizza is much better NJ/NY and actually just about any place else I've been inc. HI but I think it's just whatever your used to. I remember when I moved here and while taking some classes went out to lunch with someone that moved here from FL and someone that was from this area. The girl from FL was complaining about the pizza here and how she couldn't find a good place, I didn't say a word but the girl from this area replied, yes we have good pizza, we have dominios and pizza hut, lol. It's then I realized, it's just whatever you're used to that makes it good. It took a couple yrs but now I have two places that I love for pizza, I have to drive 15min, to get to them and they don't deliver like I'm used to but at least I can have pizza again.

Cost of living; actually it's not that less expensive here. Yes, you can buy a property for less than up north and yes your taxes will be lower but aside from that and maybe car insurance, everything else is the same. Some things are even more expensive but you make a lot less money.

I won't speak for everyone that moved here but I know there's quite a few that moved here not because they disliked where they lived but because of weather and high taxes. I loved where I lived and wanted to stay there but I was forced to moved because otherwise I would have never been able to afford a house and the taxes. I looked at many states and chose here only because the weather was milder and the taxes were lower. That being said, it's true we shouldn't compare one place to the other. It is what it is and all places can use some improvement. Just like a relationship, you have to find the place or the person who's stuff you don't like you can put up with, haha.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:53 PM

Thanks for all the replies! Most likely I'll give MB a shot...Despite the ****ty pizza. Who knows, maybe i'll find a investor in town and open up a Brooklyn style pizzeria. My son is grown, and I don't have a significant other to worry about right now. Seems like the right time. I'll do my best to avoid the churchy types and the conservative crowd, I am sure most of those folks have good intentions...right???

Old 11-09-2011, 11:18 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,979 times
Be sure you've secured work before you move to MB. I was there for a bit last winter, and things seemed awful economy-wise. Maybe it's starting to recover now though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area