Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:39 AM

503 posts, read 710,231 times

Advertisements

I don't see how people can say elvis and the beatles are overrated they are perhaps the some of the most innovative artists.

some more underrated artists are lil richard and johnny cash.
and stevie wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 07:20 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
You don't mention anything about his musicianship.
Generosity doesn't make someone a good musician.

And btw,Elvis could make people faint just by looking at them.
True. But everytime Michael Jackson is brought up people wanna talk about his personal life, most of which, they have no clue about.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeo2194 View Post
I don't see how people can say elvis and the beatles are overrated they are perhaps the some of the most innovative artists.

some more underrated artists are lil richard and johnny cash.
and stevie wonder.
Personally, Im not at all a fan of either, but I will give the beatles a chance before elvis. Elvis didnt create ANYTHING, everything was written for him, his vocals are overrated, he couldnt dance, EVERYTHING about elvis is manufactured and overrated.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:29 PM

503 posts, read 710,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Personally, Im not at all a fan of either, but I will give the beatles a chance before elvis. Elvis didnt create ANYTHING, everything was written for him, his vocals are overrated, he couldnt dance, EVERYTHING about elvis is manufactured and overrated.
i am not a big fan of the beatles either,but i respect them and what they have not done for rock,but popular music in general greatly.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:39 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
Wow! I had to stop reading responses, I disagree with so many.

Most under-rated to me is Sade and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Wow! I had to stop reading responses, I disagree with so many.

Most under-rated to me is Sade and Stevie Ray Vaughan.
How did I forget about Sade. She is still sexy too.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:21 AM

429 posts, read 931,628 times
Nice to see both Todd Rundgren and King's X mentioned on the thread. I'm a huge fan of both.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:09 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
Quote:
True. But everytime Michael Jackson is brought up people wanna talk about his personal life, most of which, they have no clue about.
I tend to agree with this. I don't own anything by Michael Jackson but am familiar with his music. While a number of his songs were co-writen it were those songs in the latter portion of his career did his lyrics and writing became more sophisticated and showed how well read he really was in history world history and world events, of which most of his fan base, being teenage girls, would not even understand or know about and went way beyond a 'pop' level, and he was able to incorporate so much of it into his lyrics in an indirect and artistic way and it is those songs which were highly underrated IMHO.

But bringing up Michael Jackson made me think about something and I don't know if anyone would agree - but there is a difference between artists and performers. There are some excellent artists who suck at performing and vice versa and this may be how we base our view of them.

Watching some of Jackson's performances I was struck by his 'performing' skills and how much energy he put into every song in every performance, night after night, city after city, country after country. I was worn out watching him do one song. He was out there alone -a band you couldn't see and no back up dancers in a majority of his tour performances, His fans embraced his work and he gave everything he had for those audiences. But he played no instruments.

On the flip side, you could look to Bob Dylan who is considerd a great artist, but a horrible performer. He does write his songs and is talented on a number of instruments, but he hates his fans, and it shows, and hides behind or just blends in with his backing band in his concerts and puts little to no effort to give anything to his audiences. He's like a frozen statue behind his keyboard. But is still considered a great artist none of the less.

So, thinking about overrated or underrated 'artists' one has to think about how and at what you are really applying that to.

Carry on....

Last edited by Thursday007; 08-03-2010 at 09:14 AM..

Old 08-03-2010, 09:47 AM

36 posts, read 77,011 times
I think I would like a more precise definition of over and underrated. I mean, Stevie Ray Vaughn is underrated by the mainstream, but pretty much anyone who is seriously into the guitar rates him very highly. So, really he isn't underrated in his niche.

To add to this list though, i'm gonna nominate The Killers as overrated. Sure, they've got a few good songs, but they really don't deserve to be one of the biggest rock bands on the planet.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:32 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,822 times
Quote:
Michael Jackson has earned all of the accolades he has received throughout the years. He was the greatest entertainer of all time. Name an artist that can wave a glove, and people faint....I'll wait....... Name a artist that has donated more than $300,000,000 (YES MILLION) to charity. Name a artist that has opened their home to sick children to give them the childhood that he didnt have. Name an artist that has VISITED these sick children on EVERY stop of their tours, and has given away THOUSANDS of free concert tickets to children all across the globe. ALL of that is PERSONAL, that's what he does when the cameras are not around. The media never said anything about that. It's funny because as im typing this, there is a marching band on TV playing his music...There goes the "His music sounds incredibly dated" argument.
As a performer and humanitarian, Michael Jackson's accolades are well-deserved. As a songwriter, Jackson is good, but his abilities in that area are vastly overrated. There are lots of pop songwriters who wrote in the same style as Jackson who made music that was just as good or better (Prince being a good example).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music