Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 07:29 AM

342 posts, read 590,845 times

Advertisements

lets talk about jazz singers,, JUNE CHRISTY she has a smooth sound my favorite song is SOMETHING COOL the first time i hered it i stop what i was doing and listen and then i kep playing it over and over till i learn the words to the song,, great song and singer.

is JUNE CHRISTY still alive?

Old 11-22-2009, 11:17 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee22 View Post
lets talk about jazz singers,, JUNE CHRISTY she has a smooth sound my favorite song is SOMETHING COOL the first time i hered it i stop what i was doing and listen and then i kep playing it over and over till i learn the words to the song,, great song and singer.

is JUNE CHRISTY still alive?
She died almost twenty years ago.

Hunt around and find the Della Reese version of Something Cool, it is actually better. I was amazed when I heard it.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:06 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
I've posted this before--this is probably June Christy's best tune, performed here with an orchestra led by the tune's composer, Pete Rugolo. The arrangement is interesting--no saxophones or trumpets, just rhythm, strings, flutes, trombones, and French horns. Two jazz luminaries on this tune are Bud Shank on flute and Howard Roberts on guitar. The tune is "Interlude"--composed by Rugolo for the Stan Kenton band.

June Christy – Interlude – Free listening at Last.fm

"Interlude" is June at her absolute best.

Though she sometimes lacked the pitch and control of some other vocalists in her era, she was still a fine singer. She said that she never thought of herself as a "swinging" singer, but she really could hold her own in the swinging Kenton orchestra. She shined on the "point-counterpoint" tunes where her soothing voice was matched against Kenton's explosive band. A great example of that is the early Christy recording of "Soothe Me" with Kenton. Best described as "exploding sensuality."

Stan Kenton Juke Box Page Access it from this menu page.

A similarly structured tune is this one (I'm still looking for that street!):

June Christy – Easy Street – Free listening at Last.fm

And, finally, a repeat posting of June singing one of the best versions of this tune that I've ever heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7CggLL7QTg

Last edited by jazzlover; 11-22-2009 at 01:17 PM..

Old 11-22-2009, 08:22 PM

18,118 posts, read 11,753,710 times
Boy! I sound like a broken record!

Do not duplicate threads. Use the search feature on upper right side of screen.
Also, after opening a thread, you will see several active thread links at the very bottom with same topic.

Last edited by 2goldens; 11-23-2009 at 03:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music