Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:16 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
On his latest CD, he has songs mocking christopher reeves, incest, rape, homosexulaity amongst other things. At what point has he gone too far?
Consider the source. The man is celebrating ignorance with his "music."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 01:56 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,461 times
Another one who is desperate for attention, gets it, so ups the ante with the "shocking" behavior. Snore.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:59 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,429 times
You guys realize this is music for TEENAGERS, right? You're not supposed to like it. You're supposed to shake your fist and wonder what's becoming of society that this entertainer could get so popular.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:35 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
You guys realize this is music for TEENAGERS, right? You're not supposed to like it. You're supposed to shake your fist and wonder what's becoming of society that this entertainer could get so popular.
Uh.. no I use to listen to him as a teenager but I still listen to him

If you guys don't like it simply don't listen! He is much more then his slim shady persona and the only quality mainstream artist. He talks about real life drug addiction, depression, losing friends and family, being a single parent, being there for your kids, etc and a lot of people can relate to that.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:43 AM

814 posts, read 2,306,801 times
yeah, madonna rolling around on stage singing 'like a virgin' is so much better. it's perverted how the audience is all dressed up in tuxes and formal dresses and she's rolling around gyrating on stage as if this is a mature thing to do. the song is beyond infantile, it's just weird.

or what about that warddrobe malfunction of janet jackson. that was disgusting. she seriously needs to give it up.

or how about when madonna kissed britney or vice versa as if that's suppose to be so cool and the controversy over that. oooh, wow. again, an adult crowd watching that stuff makes me laugh at the irony. no wonder kids don't respect adults when adults have upside down ideas of what maturity is. notice "adult" activities are usually bad like profanity or just immoral behavior. oh, you'll get to do that junior when you are mature and an adult. LOL

Old 05-14-2009, 12:01 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
On his latest CD, he has songs mocking christopher reeves, incest, rape, homosexulaity amongst other things. At what point has he gone too far?
Please - Chris Rock has joked about Christopher Reeves. George Lopez has joked about incest. Steve Harvey has joked about homosexuality. Sarah Silverman has joked about rap. Monique has joked about eating disorders. If we're going to censor entertainment, then we need to censor it all not just the genres that you don't like.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:05 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times
As somebody who grew up in the Northwest Ohio/Southeast Michigan area, I can tell you that Eminem's content really goes with where he's from. Detroit and many cities in Ohio are notorious for horrorcore (rap with dark topics/dark humor) and heavy metal music. The whole area has independent local artists who release similar stuff. NIN are from there. Marilyn Manson is from there. Compared to some of Michigan and Ohio's local artists, Eminem is pretty tame. Even music with a dark tone has to have some form of commercial appeal to become popular. Eminem's music has that. There are artists out there with darker music that is radio-unfriendly and as a result, they will never really "blow up".

Old 05-14-2009, 01:37 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
I pulled up this thread, expecting the O.P. to be from 1999.

Has he gone too far? Where have you been? He mocked Christopher Reeve, incest, rape, and homosexuality on his first album.

I rarely listen to his music these days, I don't care for rap in general, but I will admit that he is extremely talented.

Last edited by le roi; 05-14-2009 at 02:09 PM..

Old 05-22-2009, 07:19 AM

14 posts, read 38,177 times
Quote:
He has zero talent. The only reason people buy his crappy records is because of the shock value in his lyrics. Thus, people for whatever reason (mainly to make mommy and daddy mad) think they are being "rebellious" by purchasing his crap. Personally....I think he sounds like a chipmunk.
I couldnt agree more with Interpol... sometimes it happens, the most useless fellas get the best in the world! here we have a live example in front of us

Old 05-22-2009, 08:50 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,648,977 times
Quote:
This is nothing new for him. In fact, he mentions Reeve on 'Real Slim Shady' which was from way back in 2000. It personally doesn't bother me but I see why it might bother others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music