Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:26 PM

112 posts, read 581,537 times

Advertisements

I was born in 74 but I really missed out on the peak of Rock music. I had older cousins who loved Zepplin, Lizzy, Nazareth, Sabbath and so on which influenced me a lot. Strange to think of a five year old singing "Hair of the dog". The late 60's also had Cream, The Doors and Hendrix. It would have amazing to see Jefferson Airplane and The Who play live. Or even Boston and the Ramones in the late 70's. I'm sure there's others out there that feel the same way. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 11:33 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
I didn't miss out on the period you describe, and I think you're absolutely right. My favorite music is late 60s-early 70s. But you can still get just about all the recordings.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:48 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,991 times
I am Gen X but I prefer baby boom era music and culture. Part of this could be because my parents had great record collections and took me to rock concerts when I was a kid in the 70s. So when my peers first became music fans in the 80s my tastes were already evolved.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:59 PM

83 posts, read 195,052 times
hell yea i missed out i was born in 87 i listen to good hip hip, classic rock, metal and punk rock... but what generation can represent me...**** soulja boi...theres sublime(sumwhat). Linkin Park, Red Hot Chilli peppers and a few other alternative rock groups but music out on the radio is horrible.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:30 AM

112 posts, read 581,537 times
I agree you can get great stuff off itunes all the time, but to see Thin Lizzy live!!! Or Zepplin! And most of this music now days is cr@p. That's the simple truth. My dad was a musician and played bass. He listen to Cream, Doors, Hendrix and CCR. So my dad also had a big influence on me. Nickelback, Stone Temple Pilots, Everclear and a few other bands are GOOD but I think that rock music had it's peak in the 70's. I would love to relive that era. You had a peak of amazing song writers and musicians. Phil Lynott on bass or Keith Moon on drums. I think of wonderful songs like "Tangerine" by Zepplin or "Burn" by Deep Purple. That's music ladies and gents. It doesn't get any better!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:30 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,321,355 times
No,I was born in the wrong part of the country.
If I had been born in Stockholm or Gothenburg I could have seen all the great heavy metal bands of the 80s.
All their lps are still available second hand, so that doesn't bother me.

Last edited by BigSwede; 05-06-2009 at 06:53 AM..

Old 05-06-2009, 06:32 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,514,137 times
Absolutely. I was born in 1982. Probably 75% of my Ipod library is from before I was born.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:13 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
I was born right. I was a teenager when the greatest music known to man was all that was on the radio in the late 60s. As a young adult I lived throught the concert age of the 70s. As an older fart I watched as the music begun to die in the mid 80s. Now I look at the pure and complete trash out today and it makes me sad.

So all we have is memories now. Sitting among 25,000 screaming fans in the dark holding lighters and candles. The pure electricity of a Led Zepplin concert, experience the greatest vocals in music by Steve Perry or watching Meatloaf doing Paradise by the Dashboard Light while making love to the red hot Carla live on stage. Grace Slick singing her heart out doing White Rabbit, Iron Butterfly doing Innagoddadivita, Genesis closing with Afterglow while we melted, the anti movement songs of Joan Baez and the pure poetry of Bob Dylan. I could go on.....................

Times were better growing up in the 60s 70s and maybe a bit into the 80s. You could ride your bike without fear of being kidnapped or raped. No one brought guns to school. Boys brought a pocket knife to school but it was to look kool. Today they bring a knif to school for the sole purpose of sticking some one with it. Oh yea the wrap generation. We took the subways into the heart of NYC to go to hundreds of concerts and never had fear. The worst thing that happned to us was Hookers asked us for a date on 42nd street.

It's sad to say those days will never be back. Our days will only become more violent with worse and worse music, if it an get any worse then wrap.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:30 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
I'm so glad music wise that i was born in the 1960's as i was raised as a kid in the 70's on the great bands as for a few examples Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Nazareth, Bad Company, Foreigner, Fleetwood Mac, Queen and Judas Priest etc..and then being a teen and early twenty sonething in the most fun music decade ever known which was the 80's ... as New Wave and Hair Metal are still my favorites that i jam to today in 2009.

It's good to always see today's twenty somethings at 80's retro concerts and also their positive comments on 80's Youtube video's.

LOL, time to put on one of my Ratt CD's .

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 05-06-2009 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Typo - 6/3

Old 05-06-2009, 04:59 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I'm so glad music wise that i was born in the 1960's as i was raised as a kid in the 70's on the great bands as for a few examples Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Nazareth, Bad Company, Foreigner, Fleetwood Mac, Queen and Judas Priest etc..and then being a teen and early twenty sonething in the most fun music decade ever known which was the 80's ... as New Wave and Hair Metal are still my favorites that i jam to today in 2009.

It's good to always see today's twenty somethings at 80's retro concerts and also their positive comments on 80's Youtube video's.

LOL, time to put on one of my Ratt CD's .
6/3 you know we are on the same side. You are a tad younger then me but I still love all you talk about and your above mentions. Though my love for hair and new wave is not as strong as yours I still love it. There were still plenty of great memorable concerts in the 80s.

The 80s still saw plenty of Journey, The Cars, Kansas, Styx, Jethro Tull, Alice Cooper, Bangels, the great Pat Benatar,Van Halen, Blondie, Madonna, Def Leppard, REO, REM, Springsteen concerts. And so many I missed but the above are the ones I seen multiple times in concert. Now there is a lineup!!!!

If I can only find Orsen Wells so I can use his time machine to go back 30 years. Yes I would give up the invention of the computer as well as other things just to live young again through the late 60s to 1985.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music