Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 02:28 PM

704 posts, read 1,872,685 times

Advertisements

Why is Rap reffered to as a game? And why are other genre's not a game?

Old 06-26-2009, 02:36 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
I'm no expert -

but I always figured it was to illustrate the contrast between the consequence-free pursuit of making music - as opposed to the "real" lifestyles that they were talking about, selling drugs, etc., which was "not a game".

I could be wrong, that's just a guess.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:39 PM

704 posts, read 1,872,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I'm no expert -

but I always figured it was to illustrate the contrast between the consequence-free pursuit of making music - as opposed to the "real" lifestyles that they were talking about, selling drugs, etc., which was "not a game".

I could be wrong, that's just a guess.

I think that could prove to be quite inciteful.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:30 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
I do consider myself an expert and a veteran musician and I never heard of anyone calling wrap a game. I heard it called many things but never a game.

Maybe the game part is the culture of drive by shootings, the disrespect and abuse of women, the cursing, the grabbing of their balls with one hand while raising their other over their head in a contorted twisting while pointing their finger down to their worthless jewels. Maybe game means lets play who can wear the largest pants that can conceal 13 semi automatic weapons without notice.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:35 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,416,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I do consider myself an expert and a veteran musician and I never heard of anyone calling wrap a game. I heard it called many things but never a game.

Maybe the game part is the culture of drive by shootings, the disrespect and abuse of women, the cursing, the grabbing of their balls with one hand while raising their other over their head in a contorted twisting while pointing their finger down to their worthless jewels. Maybe game means lets play who can wear the largest pants that can conceal 13 semi automatic weapons without notice.

Well.. I'm neither but I think I have a better handle on this than you do.

I think you could call any pursuit where you have to play by "the man's" rules.. a game.
And.. that term is used quite frequently in the Hip-Hop community so I guess you're not too familiar with it, in general.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:42 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

LOL say the word rap and desertsun comes a-running to remind us all he can't stand it (like we could forget)

I think that the game refers to the hustle that rappers used to have to do to stay on top. That's my opinion though, I honestly have no idea. My bf says he thinks it has something to do with your verbal skills, remember how when boys used to try to hit on you it was called "spitting game". Who knows the real reason though? It could be because they're all pretending they used to sell drugs, grew up in the roughest of the rough neighborhoods.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:56 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

YouTube - Lil Keke - Southside
The South's theme song!
You mean Texas' theme song and I agree with natalay, as much as I liked the song because of it's actual place (it belongs in the clubs), it's not versatile to be an anthem.

THIS would be an anthem for the South.

YouTube - Goodie Mob "Dirty South"

Or this.

YouTube - Geto Boys - My Mind Playing Tricks On Me

Old 06-27-2009, 05:07 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
LOL say the word rap and desertsun comes a-running to remind us all he can't stand it (like we could forget)

I think that the game refers to the hustle that rappers used to have to do to stay on top. That's my opinion though, I honestly have no idea. My bf says he thinks it has something to do with your verbal skills, remember how when boys used to try to hit on you it was called "spitting game". Who knows the real reason though? It could be because they're all pretending they used to sell drugs, grew up in the roughest of the rough neighborhoods.
Actually yeah..

they refer to the "dope game"
"rap game"
etc.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:26 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,742,800 times
1995 "1, 2 Pass It"

YouTube - Krs-One, Mad Lion, Doug E Fresh, Fat Joe, Smif-N-Wessun & Je

Old 06-27-2009, 10:33 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,742,800 times

YouTube - Dj Kool feat Biz Markie & Doug E. Fresh - Let Me Clear My Throat (HQ)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music