Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 04:55 PM

18,302 posts, read 26,128,131 times

Advertisements

We had a thread on jazz guitarists recently with some good input. I done some digging on music threads the last few months and didn't see anything on jazz pianists.

One of my favorite jazz musicians is Dave Brubeck. Today is his 88th birthday. From what I read on wikipedia and other sites he has a real interesting history.

Any of you into Brubeck? How about other jazz piano people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 05:47 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,782,343 times
I have a few on Brubeck. One of my faves is Jazz at Oberlin (1953).
Recorded live at Finney Chapel at Oberlin College in Oberlin, Ohio. It was a first shot at a jazz concert in an entirely classical conservatory. Some of the pipe smoking longhairs back then had a problem with jazz as an elevated art form.

Finney Chapel has outstanding acoustics and is easy on the eyes, a beautiful place for a concert. Seen Bill Frisell, Bill Bruford, Bela Fleck play there.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:fcfwxqlgldae

Images of Finney Chapel, Oberlin College, by Cass Gilbert, 1908, Oberlin, Ohio. Digital Imaging Project: Art historical images of European and North American architecture and sculpture from classical Greek to Post-modern. Scanned from slides taken on

Backstage Pass: Finney Receives New Organ

Old 12-06-2008, 05:48 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,750,072 times
I like Brubeck, but he is not my favorite. The jazz pianist I most play like is McCoy Tyner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music