Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 08:53 AM

35,319 posts, read 17,223,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timd48 View Post
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life

and

Carole King - Tapestry
Paul Simon's self-titled album and "There Goes Rhymin' Simon" (more on these below)

Many early albums by artists who have just taken control of their product have a plethora of great songs. Innervisions by Stevie Wonder is another such example. Released during 1972 he had just emerged from his "teenybopper" era where the producers controlled his product. His tour as opening act for the Rolling Stones that summer signaled this liberation.

While Carole King had been actively writing with her ex-husband Gerry Goffin (I just saw the show "Beautiful" which covered their breakup and relationship" the previous product was largely aimed at a less sophisticated market. I can't help believing (though this was not in the show) that much of Tapestry was held "in inventory" for King's career direction change.

In my opinion Paul Simon's self-titled album and "There Goes Rhymin' Simon" also fall in the category of albums where every song is great. That may have also been "inventory holdback" as his relationship with Art Garfunkel was developing strains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 06:48 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,747,375 times
Ten Years After - A Space In Time

Tubes - Completion Backwards Principle

Old 02-25-2020, 07:17 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,256,919 times
Sugar - Copper Blue
Sugar - Beaster (mind you, this was a 6 song mini-album)

I could name quite a few albums that have at least 80% good songs...

Old 02-25-2020, 07:31 PM

1. The Who - Tommy
  2. The Who - Who's Next
  3. Gordon Lightfoot - Don Quixote
  4. Carole King - Tapestry
  5. Yes - Close to the Edge
  6. Emerson Lake & Palmer - Pictures at an Exhibition
OK, the Yes choice has only three songs and the Emerson Lake & Palmer has only one.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:31 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,177,394 times
To be specific, I like rock on the harder side. Always have, always will, I'm 52 and rock nearly as hard as at 22. I wear hearing protection now, though.

In rock, or Prog Rock, there are occasionally concept albums. Concept albums, when they work, are tonally and thematically similar throughout...and if it's a magic tone, the whole album just works.

Rush - Hemispheres (1978): side one is one long multipart song. Side two is three magnificent, separate tracks. All stellar.

Rush - Moving Pictures (1981): their magnum opus. Period.

Rush - 2112 (1976): side one saved the band, side two is pretty good as-well with a few anthems.

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime (1988): stupendous.

Queensryche - Empire (1991) - their magnum opus. Period.

Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory Part II (1999) - Brilliant concept album, most creative of the lot.

Honorable mentions:

Pink Floyd - the Wall (1979) - Just wow. A three-hanky job.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (1975) - Darn near one long track.

Almost, but whiffed on a few tracks:

Rush - Clockwork Angels (2012) - Darn good final album, couple weak tracks and sketchy 'flow'

Dishonorable Mention:

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime II (2006) - Hard miss, not every brilliant album needs a follow up. Most don't. They need to re-breakup the band, it's been a tough past c. 15 years living solely on past glory. That's weak.

Old 02-26-2020, 03:44 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,747,375 times
Actually, speakin' of Rush, the first RUSH with John Rutsey on drums has the best tunes, and it's good from start to finish. Hard rockin' Rush. Led Zeppelin type riffs and song structure. It certainly stands alone among the Rush stuff.

It shows just how much Alex Lifeson's style has transformed over time. I think that's pretty impressive.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:11 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,177,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Actually, speakin' of Rush, the first RUSH with John Rutsey on drums has the best tunes, and it's good from start to finish. Hard rockin' Rush. Led Zeppelin type riffs and song structure. It certainly stands alone among the Rush stuff.

It shows just how much Alex Lifeson's style has transformed over time. I think that's pretty impressive.
The first Rush album, indeed. Also Fly by Night, lot of blues-y riffs there, too. Caress of Steel was a major right turn of the band...and they went their own way after, album by album.

Alex is anymore the poster child for the Gibson Les Paul, as Geddy likes his Fender Jazz. If the red Lifeson Les Paul Axcess wasn't something like six thousand dollars, I'd pick one up. $1K, I'd have one on my stand right now.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:37 AM

22,954 posts, read 28,375,529 times
Albums where every song is good?

The Who --- "Who's Next"
The Who --- "Quadrophenia"
Sturgill Simpson --- "Sound & Fury"
Garbage --- "Version 2.0"
The Kinks --- "Word of Mouth"
Willie Nelson --- "Stardust"
Willie Nelson --- "Moment of Forever"
Waylon Jennings --- "Honky Tonk Heroes"
The Sex Pistols --- "Never Mind the *******s, Here's the Sex Pistols"
The Ramones --- "RAMONES"
The Clash --- "London Calling"
The Alarm --- "Strength"
Bob Dylan --- "Blood on the Tracks"
Johnny Cash --- "At Folsom Prison"
Dire Straits --- "Brothers in Arms"
Nirvana --- "Nevermind"
Guns n' Roses --- "Appetite for Destruction"
Backyard Babies --- "Diesel and Dust"
Miles Davis --- "Kind of Blue"
Van Morrison --- "Moondance"
The Rolling Stones --- "Sticky Fingers"
The Rolling Stones --- "Let it Bleed"

Old 03-13-2020, 03:52 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,519,595 times
Oh there are plenty. I'll name a few

Genesis - Foxtrot
Genesis - Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (my fave concept album)
Yes - Close to the Edge
Pink Floyd - Animals
Led Zeppelin - II and IV
Kansas - Song For America
Queen - Queen II
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime (my second fave concept album)

Old 03-13-2020, 07:41 PM

Gordon Lightfoot - Don Quixote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music