Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 06:50 PM

74 posts, read 95,911 times

Advertisements

Heard about these guys on the Big Bang Theory. What does everyone think about them?

As for me, I can only take them in small doses once in awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 08:39 PM

18,303 posts, read 26,134,774 times
They're certainly not for everybody, for sure. Even for people like me who was experiencing a shift in what I was buying. By 1972 I was really getting into Barclay James Harvest, Strawbs, Jane, King Crimson, Focus, Bo Hannson, Popol Vuh, Tangerine Dream, and several other European progressive bands. Still, those bands were introduced to me by independent store owners who knew what I liked in music. Those bands didn't get a great amount of airplay, at least in the area I lived in anyway. By 1970 I had pretty much picked up entire catalogs by the Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, and Jethro Tull. And wanted more.

But credit Kraftwerk for a career that has gone over four decades. The album "Autobahn" was released in my area around September of 1974 and I would hear the entire album side every week by DJ's. That was similar to Mike Oldfield when he released "Tubular Bells" the year before. I'd have to look it up but I'll bet they've released 30 lp's by now.

One of my guilty pleasures? Heh, "I am the operator of a pocket calculator." I'll cue that song on the ol' turntable every now and then.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:49 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,468,733 times
I only have Autobahn which I listen to from time to time, but saw them back in 2008 at Coachella and was really impressed. They are without a doubt one of the most influential groups in music history.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:43 PM

162 posts, read 183,123 times
Their music hasn't held up very well, but I have to give them a huge amount of credit for being the grandfathers of electronic music. At minimum, you have to respect a group of guys who built their own instruments.

I've heard people with a giant amount of denial claiming other artists were the true innovators. Music doesn't work like that. The theremin made its debut in the 20's, and people were messing with vocoders in the 50's. It's who made the most strides and had the most impact.

Practically everyone who has plugged a keyboard into an electrical outlet owes a debt of gratitude to these guys. On top of that, go to the WhoSampled website and see how many artists have used their work.

I liked how Tony Naylor of NME summed it up in 2005 while briefly reviewing "Minimum-Maximum Live."

Quote:
‘The Beatles and Kraftwerk’ may not have the ring of ‘The Beatles and the Stones’, but, nonetheless, these are the two most important bands in music history.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:46 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,342,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
"I am the operator of a pocket calculator."
When I press this little key, it plays this little melody,

Beep. Boop. Bleeeeeep.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:45 PM

3,552 posts, read 2,573,118 times
I had the 8 track tape of the Autobahn album. It got played one time, I might have listened to Autobahn the song a few more times, then it was never played again. Just too far out there and rather boring actually.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:12 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,782,681 times
It's a part of the "Big Note" in life. A dial tone, the beep cue from a crosswalk device, an elevator report when you're ready to get off. It's there.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:47 AM

5,915 posts, read 7,113,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
The album "Autobahn" was released in my area around September of 1974 and I would hear the entire album side every week by DJ's.
"Wir fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn"

Wow, I haven't thought of these guys in 20+ years. Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to go and pull out the album.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:12 PM

4,617 posts, read 5,550,373 times
Kraftwerk has some great music. This is one of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3f-JwOGO1A

Old 03-30-2015, 04:36 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,061,368 times
I recently heard Terry Riley's modern classical piece "A Rainbow in Curved Air" (1969) and was surprised how much it sounded like Kraftwerk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PNbEfLIEDs

Part of it sounds a lot like the second or third "movement" of Autobahn - the A major section with that friendly Pet-Sounds-ish melody.

I love Kraftwerk's album The Man Machine. We are the robots... The track "Metropolis" is a perfect representation of that scene in A Wrinkle In Time on that planet with everybody moving in the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music