Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 04:07 PM

578 posts, read 588,565 times

Advertisements

I have no idea where else to ask this, but I kinda need to know the answer, and figure this may as well be the best place to ask...

Looking at inner city youth, mostly African American but others as well, what musical instruments tend to interest them most? I know music tends to be a strong interest in the city, but I am not so sure about instruments themselves. Guitars are quite popular in the suburbs, but that does somewhat reflect a kinda white point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 06:02 PM

538 posts, read 5,352,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
I have no idea where else to ask this, but I kinda need to know the answer, and figure this may as well be the best place to ask...

Looking at inner city youth, mostly African American but others as well, what musical instruments tend to interest them most? I know music tends to be a strong interest in the city, but I am not so sure about instruments themselves. Guitars are quite popular in the suburbs, but that does somewhat reflect a kinda white point of view.

Robert Johnson- Crossroad - YouTube

Son House - Death Letter - YouTube

T-Bone Walker - Call It Stormy Monday - YouTube

Jimmy Reed sings "Cold and Lonesome" - YouTube

Muddy Waters - Mannish Boy (Hard Again) - YouTube

ZZ Top & John Lee Hooker-Boom boom boom - YouTube

Howlin' Wolf - Highway 49 - YouTube

Buddy Guy - First Time I Met The Blues - YouTube

Albert Collins - Iceman - YouTube

Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan - Stormy Monday - YouTube

Freddie King - Hide away.wmv - YouTube

Eric Clapton & B.B. King- I Wanna Be - YouTube

Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode [HQ] - YouTube

Bo Diddley. Mona - YouTube

Jimi Hendrix - Red House - YouTube

Living Colour performing "Cult Of Personality" on Arsenio - YouTube

Lenny Kravitz "Are You Gonna Go My Way" - YouTube

Hootie And The Blowfish - Hold My Hand (Video Version) - YouTube

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old 12-12-2013, 08:58 PM

John Mellencamp - Paper In Fire - YouTube

Old 12-15-2013, 07:56 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,051,033 times
Black Jade, it sounds like you think his question was ridiculous because of all the great black pioneers of guitar rock. I thought it was a good question, personally.

My HS class of 175 didn't have a single black student in it. Many of my friends got into playing guitar, all aspiring to be the next Jimmy Page. Some of us played bass or piano. I wouldn't know for sure, but I'd think in a high school that's over a third black (or Hispanic), there would be a lot fewer Zeppelin-loving guitar shredders.

My stereotype is young black males being into rap, and young black girls being into singing. But maybe someone with actual experience can enlighten us? What instruments do inner city kids enjoy playing?

Old 12-15-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Black Jade, it sounds like you think his question was ridiculous because of all the great black pioneers of guitar rock. I thought it was a good question, personally.

My HS class of 175 didn't have a single black student in it. Many of my friends got into playing guitar, all aspiring to be the next Jimmy Page. Some of us played bass or piano. I wouldn't know for sure, but I'd think in a high school that's over a third black (or Hispanic), there would be a lot fewer Zeppelin-loving guitar shredders.

My stereotype is young black males being into rap, and young black girls being into singing. But maybe someone with actual experience can enlighten us? What instruments do inner city kids enjoy playing?
I did think it was ridiculous....I could post many more. I even left off Prince. My point being there is no reason why they "can't". Their Dads and Gramps did.....

Who do they think white guys are trying to sound like???

Duh!! lol

Old 12-15-2013, 09:04 PM

Ok, so lets say they don't have money for a guitar...

There's a serious shortage of good harmonica players out there....

Do that.....

Led Zeppelin - Nobody's Fault But Mine (Studio Version - Best Quality) - YouTube

Huey Lewis and the News - Workin' for a livin' - YouTube

Blackfoot - Train, Train - YouTube

Mississippi Heat - YouTube

Blues Traveler - "Brother John" - YouTube

Old 12-15-2013, 09:22 PM

They are small...you can drop it in your pocket even and take it everywhere with you.

You'll be the most popular kid at school kids......

The oldtimer told ya so....

The Rolling Stones ~ Midnight Rambler. In concert 1969 - YouTube

Old 12-15-2013, 09:23 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jade Stingray View Post
I did think it was ridiculous....I could post many more. I even left off Prince. My point being there is no reason why they "can't". Their Dads and Gramps did.....

Who do they think white guys are trying to sound like???

Duh!! lol
The question asked was "what musical instruments tend to interest them most?" "Them" being children in inner city high schools. Nobody's answered that one yet.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
The question asked was "what musical instruments tend to interest them most?" "Them" being children in inner city high schools. Nobody's answered that one yet.
It doesn't get anymore "inner city" than Gary Indiana. What are Mike and Janet's brothers? Chop liver?

The Jackson 5 ~ ABC - YouTube

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music