Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 12:44 PM

1,547 posts, read 1,560,224 times

Advertisements

A record is a collaboration of beats, ideas, and methods put down in a studio to make a record company money.
A song is the creative, artistic, expression that is the real music, something that reaches across all divisions, and soothes the soul, excites the senses, and calms our fears.

That's my distinction. Your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 06:46 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,051,033 times
Like you, I highly respect songwriters and feel they often don't get as much credit as the performers.

But the Shirelles' "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" and Carole King's "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" are very different records despite being the same song. Interpretation and performance matter, right?

Old 05-17-2013, 06:42 AM

Interpretation and performance really do matter! Without them, we cannot have a conversation.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:17 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,213,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
A record is a collaboration of beats, ideas, and methods put down in a studio to make a record company money.

A song is the creative, artistic, expression that is the real music, something that reaches across all divisions, and soothes the soul, excites the senses, and calms our fears.
A record, in this context, is nothing more than a physical medium for preserving and disseminating a musical composition of performance.

A song is musical composition to used to express a feeling, story or idea nothing more and nothing less.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
A record, in this context, is nothing more than a physical medium for preserving and disseminating a musical composition of performance.

A song is musical composition to used to express a feeling, story or idea nothing more and nothing less.
I'm glad you noted the distinction I was trying to convey. I believe it is a distinction that frustrates some artists and songwriters as many are overruled for their creativity and must accept a final product that may generate more air time or more money for the studio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music