Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 12:11 AM

24 posts, read 92,804 times

Advertisements

I was watching a VH1 special the other day about the top 100 songs of the 90's and "Smells like teen spirit" was number 1. During it I remember one of the commentators said something like "Nirvana were the Beatles of the 90's" Now obviously he didn't mean they were anywhere near as big as the Beatles were but I'm assuming they were still pretty big and one of the biggest parts of 90's pop culture. I was born in 1990 so I obviously don't remember anything about the time they were around and want to know from people who experienced it first hand just how big the group was.

Were they highly rated as musicians, or did people just like "Smells like teen spirit" the Beatles were popular and regarded highly as musicians were Nirvana? The biggest music talents (not the best just most popular and famous) I've experienced were the Spice Girls, Britney Spears, Eminem, Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber, at their peak were Nirvana as popular as any of those artists?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 12:37 AM

134 posts, read 276,159 times
The early 90's was the period of grunge rock. It was hugely promoted by radio stations, MTV, and print media. Nirvana was probably the biggest grunge band (due to Pearl Jam's increasing reluctance to be in the mainstream). So yes, they were incredibly popular and probably equivalent to what Beiber is today.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:24 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Sterling View Post
I was watching a VH1 special the other day about the top 100 songs of the 90's and "Smells like teen spirit" was number 1. During it I remember one of the commentators said something like "Nirvana were the Beatles of the 90's" Now obviously he didn't mean they were anywhere near as big as the Beatles were but I'm assuming they were still pretty big and one of the biggest parts of 90's pop culture. I was born in 1990 so I obviously don't remember anything about the time they were around and want to know from people who experienced it first hand just how big the group was.

Were they highly rated as musicians, or did people just like "Smells like teen spirit" the Beatles were popular and regarded highly as musicians were Nirvana? The biggest music talents (not the best just most popular and famous) I've experienced were the Spice Girls, Britney Spears, Eminem, Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber, at their peak were Nirvana as popular as any of those artists?

Thanks.
you poor boy

Yes, Nirvana played a huge role in bringing grunge to the masses. Nevermind was and is a great album.. and they were very big.. Not as big as the Beatles, but I am not sure any other band has made an impact like they did since..

Old 05-16-2013, 01:31 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Nirvana were the Beatles of the 90s in the sense that they were out in front of a massive and rapid shift in musical and cultural trends in the 1990s. I found them (and grunge in general) to be pretty annoying, so of course to me it felt like they were everygoddamnwhere when I would have preferred they had just gone away.

Highly rated as musicians? No. But that's one of the trends they ushered in -- music that wasn't about technical ability but arrangement, mood and message in a "back to basics" kind of way. Sorta like how punk was a rebellion against the indulgent prog-rock of the 1970s.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:41 AM

29 posts, read 42,102 times
Nirvana is the best grunge band ever, they have influence on music and change 90's generation.
Oh you can see after Nirvana's age, almost Rock and Metal band change from "mainstream" into "underground"

Old 05-17-2013, 09:17 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,025,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Highly rated as musicians? No. But that's one of the trends they ushered in -- music that wasn't about technical ability but arrangement, mood and message in a "back to basics" kind of way. Sorta like how punk was a rebellion against the indulgent prog-rock of the 1970s.
I wouldn't say that the preceding period (late 80's) was much about technical ability though. I have a friend's quotation that I'd say describes grunge quite well:

"I see grunge as being just one aspect of this era; an era that got rid of the dinky keyboards and unnecessary studio polish, rendered a band's "look" secondary to their actual music, and which got back to playing real, organic-sounding music instead of the pussyfied '80s post-new-wave stuff, the comical spandex metal and the mediocre exercises in nostalgia produced in the wake of Live Aid."

Old 05-17-2013, 09:24 AM

134 posts, read 276,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
I wouldn't say that the preceding period (late 80's) was much about technical ability though.

I have to disagree with you there. Van Halen, Guns N Roses, Metallica, AC/DC, and others had extreme technical ability.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:34 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,025,943 times
I was in 7th grade when Kurt killed himself, we found out at school through our corny TV system "Channel 1", and this one kid in my class got down on his knees and begged that it wasn't really true. Of course I was so out of touch at age 12 that I hadn't heard a single Nirvana song.

They were indeed huge, and yet these days they get a bit too much press compared to other huge 90's acts. Alanis Morrissette's Jagged Little Pill (1995) was the album EVERYBODY in the universe had, myself included, and people don't ever seem to mention this one when they bring up the 90's.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:59 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,373,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Nirvana were the Beatles of the 90s in the sense that they were out in front of a massive and rapid shift in musical and cultural trends in the 1990s. I found them (and grunge in general) to be pretty annoying, so of course to me it felt like they were everygoddamnwhere when I would have preferred they had just gone away.
Ditto. For me, the 1990's was when the music went away. Grunge? All in all, I'd probably rather listen to Yanni. Nirvana was indeed all the rage there for a while, but there are a lot of rages over time and being one of them isn't necessarily a sign of much (cue the chorus from "Shooting Star"). Nevermind was pretty much their peak. I have it (and Jagged Little Pill for that matter), but it wasn't any sort of epic accomplishment. A good and noteworthy album, yes, but if Cobain hadn't died (at age 27), the mystique might have been less by half. Keep in mind that Joplin, Hendrix, and Morrison had died within two years of each other at age 27, and there wasn't so much as a peep over it. But the fact that Cobain was also 27 was pushed 20 years later as some sort of reason to lionize him to that same sort of level. This is a level that neither he nor his music ever remotely approached or attained.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:58 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
Listen kid, Nirvana were phenomenal. Cobain was a visionary Messiah! He probably did not committ suicide either. And, no talk about Alanis. What a Feminazi windbag!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music