Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 12:58 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelayne View Post
Speaking of Alice in Chains, I personally think they were the best of the bunch. If only Layne had turned his life around. They started off with a bit of a hair band/80s rock sound, which I find to be kickass being the Ratt obsessed girl I am, and ended up becoming a very great, timeless band with amazing lyrics and so much talent apparent in every member. They're my favorite band by far, before Layne died they never made a song I didn't like, however the new stuff is iffy to me. Alright music but lacking the creativity and depth it had before, the lyrics that, if you paid attention, would make you cry. Or they do for me anyways. Wow sorry, a bit off topic all that was. Circling back to their early sound, I disliked how much Kurt Cobain hated 80s rock. I like some nirvana, more the bleach album than anything, but nowhere near as much as I love van halen, ratt, kiss, scorpions, etc, and Alice in Chains of course too.
Absolutely. AIC are completely underrated. Don't mind the new stuff, I didn't expect the exact same sound though... that can't be replicated, I really loved Black Gives Way to Blue.. great, in its own way. I wonder how Cobain might have evolved if he didn't die when he did..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 07:42 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,373,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Kurt was a genius.
In the same sense that David Seville or Tiny Tim was a genius. In the grander scheme however, he and his music were a no more than pedestrian example of failed longings.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:43 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Sterling View Post
I was watching a VH1 special the other day about the top 100 songs of the 90's and "Smells like teen spirit" was number 1. During it I remember one of the commentators said something like "Nirvana were the Beatles of the 90's" Now obviously he didn't mean they were anywhere near as big as the Beatles were but I'm assuming they were still pretty big and one of the biggest parts of 90's pop culture. I was born in 1990 so I obviously don't remember anything about the time they were around and want to know from people who experienced it first hand just how big the group was.

Were they highly rated as musicians, or did people just like "Smells like teen spirit" the Beatles were popular and regarded highly as musicians were Nirvana? The biggest music talents (not the best just most popular and famous) I've experienced were the Spice Girls, Britney Spears, Eminem, Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber, at their peak were Nirvana as popular as any of those artists?

Thanks.

Nirvana who?

Old 05-27-2013, 07:49 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,373,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Nirvana's cultural impact cannot be emphasized enough. There's no way to frame their importance to someone who didn't live thru the period.
Well, I lived through the period of both Nirvana and Howdy Doody, and cowabunga, Howdy Doody had a much greater cultural impact. I'd say you are suffering from the bright, shiny object effect of Nirvana's having been the first thing you ever glommed onto. They were not all that. Fad, yes. Cultural linchpin, no.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:42 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
I grew up through the "grunge" era. Nirvana WAS the Beetles of the 90's. Its just that their longevity was cut short when Cobain committed suicide in 1994. So they only produced hits from roughly '91-'94. Imagine if the Beetles only lasted 3 years. Would they have been as huge? I doubt it. Nirvana and grunge's emergence also coincided with the gangsta rap movement, so you had too many movements going on at once. Everyone in the 60's listened to the Beetles since there was no alternative.

Nirvana wasn't the biggest band of the 90's, but they were the most important. They were on the forefront in terms of getting grunge into the mainstream. Grunge gradually emerged into "alternative rock" which was a broader movement of new rock bands coming out at the time. Pearl Jam, Green Day, Alice In Chains, Sublime, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alanis Moresett, Rage Against The Machine, etc. just to name a few.

The grunge/alternative movement started as a rebellion against the mainstream pop bands and hairbands that dominated the late 80's/early 90's media. Music was very watered down by '89-'91, and the youth wanted something new. Nirvana was the first band to break through of the newer style.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
I grew up through the "grunge" era. Nirvana WAS the Beetles of the 90's. Its just that their longevity was cut short when Cobain committed suicide in 1994. So they only produced hits from roughly '91-'94. Imagine if the Beetles only lasted 3 years. Would they have been as huge? I doubt it. Nirvana and grunge's emergence also coincided with the gangsta rap movement, so you had too many movements going on at once. Everyone in the 60's listened to the Beetles since there was no alternative.

Nirvana wasn't the biggest band of the 90's, but they were the most important. They were on the forefront in terms of getting grunge into the mainstream. Grunge gradually emerged into "alternative rock" which was a broader movement of new rock bands coming out at the time. Pearl Jam, Green Day, Alice In Chains, Sublime, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alanis Moresett, Rage Against The Machine, etc. just to name a few.

The grunge/alternative movement started as a rebellion against the mainstream pop bands and hairbands that dominated the late 80's/early 90's media. Music was very watered down by '89-'91, and the youth wanted something new. Nirvana was the first band to break through of the newer style.
RHCP was not part of some "new movement" that emerged in the early 90s, they had been doing their own thing since the early 1980s and had solid MTV rotation by the late 1980s. RHCP was well out in front of Nirvana and didn't need to ride on Nirvana's coattails. If anything RHCP was one of the bands that laid the groundwork for Nirvana, not the other way around. Blood Sugar Sex Magik (RHCP's 5th album) and Nevermind (Nivrana's 2nd) were released on exactly the same day, and the former would have been a smash success even if the latter had never hit the record stores.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:34 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
No one here has mentioned Guided By Voices. GBV have recently gotten back together and Captain Bob Pollard will keep rocking it until the cows come home. Here are the most vital bands of the 90's.

1. R.E.M.

2. Guided By Voices

3. Nirvana

4. The Pixies

5. U2

6. Morphine

7. Travis

Old 05-28-2013, 10:41 AM

The Pixies reached their peak in the late 80s and weren't even active throughout most of the 90s.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:52 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
I guess you are right about the Pixies. I forgot Uncle Tupelo. Ther last couple of albums amidst the inner turmoil with the band came out in the early 90's. Kudos goes out to the band that came out after UT, Wilco. AM was a decent country rocker, Being There showed a band in the stages of major growth, and 1999 Summerteeth was the Pet Sounds of that era setting the stage for even greater Jeff Tweedy led material in the 2000s.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:25 AM

The Wilco Loft is just down the street from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music