Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:12 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about this for a while. My observation is that fans of rock music tend to be the least interested in and even most hostile to other types of music.

Not everyone likes everything of course, but it seems like there is a greater openness between the other genres, whereas rock fans are hostile to anything that doesn't fit into their mold.

They seem to be the ones most likely to flip out if a country, classical or dance song is heard on speakers around them. It's like it's hurting their ears to even occasionally have to hear Mozart, Kenny Rogers or Usher.

(What is really ironic is that if they had a look at the personal music collections of their rock music heroes, they'd actually find tons of stuff from a whole range of musical genres - not just rock.)

So, has anyone else noticed this?

And BTW, I actually like rock music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 10:14 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
To a certain degree. Usually the people you are talking about are the bragadocious, macho, right wing leaning metal heads. Those who listen to Iron Maiden, Rush ect seem to think they are above everyone else. If a song does not have a guitar solo and some guy screeching like his leg is on fire they tend to look down it.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:59 AM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
They seem to be the ones most likely to flip out if a country, classical or dance song is heard on speakers around them. It's like it's hurting their ears to even occasionally have to hear Mozart, Kenny Rogers or Usher.
Any rocker worth a damn knows that today's rock and metal is a direct descendent of the classical masterpieces of yesteryear. I don't believe I have any metalhead friends who dislike classical. As far as rap and country, there is some that I do really like very much, as well as some stuff that makes me want to vomit when I hear it, so those two genres are a mixed bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Those who listen to Iron Maiden, Rush ect seem to think they are above everyone else.
Truly one of the more ignorant comments I've seen on CD in a while.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:05 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
IMO, people who have no tolerance for any other type of music are not true music fans. I love heavy metal, rock, classic rock but I also love Abba, the Bee Gees and I love opera and classical music. I enjoy country music if it's on but I don't go out of my way to put it on. The same with rap and a lot of dance music. Actually, as for rap, I enjoy old school, not the vulgar, aggressive stuff. I just think it's immature for one to fall into a violent fit if they hear anything outside of what they like. Some people seem to forget how music originated and where certain rock bands got their roots.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:11 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Honestly, I don't think so OP. I think hard core country fans and/or rap fans are definitely more closed minded towards other genres of music (I'm a fan of all 3 btw). People that listen to those genres exclusively, come across as 'in their own little bubble' no offense.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:19 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
I dont think so either, I love anything from classic rock to modern metal. I was also interested in classical music at a very young age.
I enjoy certin country singers as well as a few rappers.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:21 AM

416 posts, read 630,652 times
Are rock music fans the least tolerant of other musical styles?

I don't think so. Any minority that speaks out seems louder than the majority who don't. And most people speak out about negatives rather than positives for instance, people are more likely to give a review if they find something negative than they are if they are ok with something.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:46 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I have been thinking about this for a while. My observation is that fans of rock music tend to be the least interested in and even most hostile to other types of music.

Not everyone likes everything of course, but it seems like there is a greater openness between the other genres, whereas rock fans are hostile to anything that doesn't fit into their mold.

(What is really ironic is that if they had a look at the personal music collections of their rock music heroes, they'd actually find tons of stuff from a whole range of musical genres - not just rock.)

So, has anyone else noticed this?

And BTW, I actually like rock music.
Sure there are many who can listen to anything. But I have to wonder if they just have no taste in anything, let alone music. To truly love something specific means your taste hardly wanders.

I am going to agree with you that rock music lovers have less tolerance for other music, probably because you are right. Those who listen to utter trash like wrap which is not even music by any stretch of the definition may also be intolerant of actual real music too. Many many die hard country fans are ex rockers. Today's country is almost rock anyway, so different then old country. And since they ain't making anymore rock, the rockers had to latch on to something good.

As a musician myself I can not tolerate bad music. If I'm walking into a store to make a purchase and they are blasting wrap or hippity hoppity teenage junk then I will walk right out because I just can't stand to listen to it.

I don't agree that if you peeked into many of our collections that you would find a range of music types. Either we like it or not, and if we don't then we won't buy it. Now that makes sense. If you find some one who says they hate wrap and you see wrap in their CD collection then they have other problems such as being a blatant 2 faced liar.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:50 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
The hip hop fans I have come across are very tolerable of other music.

I find classic rock fans to be the least tolerable to other styles. They are closed off to post 1990 rock; occasionally they like a song here or there by an older (pre 1990) artist that makes a post 1990 track. Typically they call the rest garbage in the other threads (see anything related to Lady Gaga/Hip Hop/etc).

Old 12-20-2011, 11:54 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Not this rock music fan, but can't speak for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music