Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:16 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,515,304 times

Advertisements

1982, i was 8. My uncles were listening to Iron Maiden "Number of the Beast" on vinyl while playing pool in the basement and chugging beers....and that was the beginning of the end Heavy Metal for life \m/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 12:29 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,381,707 times
At age 4 I begged my parents for piano lessons, they enrolled me in dance which didn't work out. I would memorize the lyrics to the songs my parents would listen to, my favorite was "Goodbye Stranger" by Supertramp.

At age 8 when they finally started piano lessons with me I did 3 years worth of instruction in 8 months and I almost never practiced. I decided to play flute when I got into middle school, unlike the other kids I skipped the summer class that taught them the basics and didn't start until 2 weeks into the school year. I was first chair until I hit high school, where I typically hovered in the top 3, even as a freshman.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:53 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,637,192 times
-My Dad singing to me with his guitar...the earliest I remember is at age 3. (Songs he would sing back then...)
*Michelle My Belle
*Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round An Old Oak Tree
*If You're Going To San Fransisco
*Drive My Car
-Watching my Dad play with his band.
-Playing songs on my toy 2 octave piano by ear...at the age of three.
-learning how to play the accordion at age 6 because my parents could not afford a piano.
- 8 years old- waking up to the sound of my baby brother pounding on a piano...running upstairs...elated and happy beyond anything that I could now start piano lessons.
-Can't forget my Mom rocking out to Foreigner in our Chevy Maibu on yes...wait for it, an 8 track, lol. It was an older car....

Music has been such a part of my life and identity...it still is. When I go home to visit I still hear my Dad singing his new favorite song...

Last edited by lyra33; 03-24-2011 at 01:07 PM..

Old 12-18-2018, 10:20 PM

384 posts, read 280,224 times
Hearing Wham!'s "Careless Whisper", Sade's "Smooth Operator", and Harold Faltermeyer's "Axel F" when they were brand new songs (circa 1984) in my mother's '72 Mustang coming home from my grandparents house.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:19 PM

3,552 posts, read 2,571,796 times
1971, I was 12 years old. Our family was in a Woolworths store in my small town, it was the old style with the diner counter down the side wall with stools where you could have lunch. High up on a shelf a radio was playing, and the sounds coming out of it were mesmerizing, unlike any I had ever heard before.

When the song was done the DJ said the song was Layla by Derek and the Dominoes.

Thus began a long journey into discovering all kinds of music that continues to this day.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:04 PM

33,127 posts, read 36,994,609 times
We had a few kiddie LPs and 45s that I played on my grandmothers's Victrola in the basement when I was little. The good Hi Fi was in the lining room. Mom liked show tunes, and both mom and dad liked big band music.

I got to stay up past my bedtime and watch The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show. There was no going back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music