Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 06:55 PM

244 posts, read 816,492 times

Advertisements

It seems that anybody can write a rap song about anything and it is a hit. I can write a rap about something like, "Do the Burrito Dance" and it could be a hit. In other words, most rap songs I hear are about nothing in particular besides some new dance move or something about booties, sex, and violence. I am also a Tupac fan and I really love underground hip-hop. I go to the store to purchase that type of music over any other type of rap or hip-hop because I love the different beats and sounds that are used and most I have heard have positive messages in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 09:02 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,371,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm an AA male who is very frustrated with what hip hop is becoming. Back in the early stages rappers actually put meaning in their songs. I love the old tupac, ll cool j, run-dmc. Nowadays, it is all about the rims, girls, money, clothes, and ice. mix all that in with a lot of cursing and you got a platinum record. Sad ain't it? A few artists give me hope that rap can be resurrected like common, kanye west, and chamillionare. but for every one of these artists there are 4 or 5 of t-pain, 50 cent, jibbs, artists whose songs mean nothing in real life. Anyone else agree?
I agree the hip-hop/rapp message could be better.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:47 PM

641 posts, read 2,376,625 times
yeah fo shizzle my nizzle. rap today is all like about money, cash, ice, in da club kinda junk man. gangsta rap is pure, not fake like all this other junk. i miss the way rap used to be. 2pac is my fav rapper. he told it like it was on the streets. it had heart and soul. i still listen to mostly old skool rappers.

and 4 u suckas who think rap be sendin the wrong message, quit actin a fool, cuz u aint cool. u try to censor my rap and ill find a way to get it uncesnored. dont be hatin cuz u cant get no old ladys at bingo nite wit teh country music pop stuff they be havin. i know rap aint wat it used to be. thats too bad. mostly about the bling now. shoot....

**drops the mic**

Old 06-26-2007, 04:09 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,958,557 times
Ummmm...kay! Anyway, rap died a couple years ago. I was busy listening to Christian music at the time so I guess I wasn't paying attention. Ha.

Anyway, I used to listen to L.L. Cool J, FRESH PRINCE, Fat Boys (remember them)?? Hip Hop was actually funny back then, it made you want to dance and just have a good time. Very harmless.

I realize we live in a death culture, music (ESPECIALLY rap) glorifies death, getting 'over' on someone, and just having a very selfish lifestyle in general.

I HATE how people try to defend it. If black people can't stand it anymore (me being one of them) how loud of a message do you want?

Old 06-26-2007, 04:28 PM

Location: Phoenix...until next week, then Maryland...tick tock tick tock
169 posts, read 609,077 times
There are some hip hop artists who have something positive to say...you just have to know where to look...& it's not the garbage you can see on MTV...Ugh. That crap is just shameful...

Try KRS-ONE for some positivity...

Old 06-26-2007, 09:34 PM

But most of us are referring to rap music of today. What has KRS-One done lately? And just where are all of those (older) rap artists anyway? It doesn't seem like they're trying to to take it back so that's why I don't bother listening to it.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:41 AM

Location: Phoenix...until next week, then Maryland...tick tock tick tock
169 posts, read 609,077 times
Ummm...KRS-One has had 2 albums in the last 2 years...

Old 06-27-2007, 11:32 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,472,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
But most of us are referring to rap music of today. What has KRS-One done lately? And just where are all of those (older) rap artists anyway? It doesn't seem like they're trying to to take it back so that's why I don't bother listening to it.
You also have Common, The Roots, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Lupe Fiasco etc... Rap is not unlike pop or rock music of today. Most of the crap gets heavy airplay, while the more talented artists are often overlooked.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:54 PM

I see the point that some of you are making but that's only to name a few. Watch MTV, BET or any video show (on any station) for a couple of hours and the other guys far out number people like Common, Mos Def, etc. I haven't watched a rap video in a while and I had to laugh when I saw, hmm, can't remember the 'artists' name but some guy was sitting on his car with a bunch of women around him in bikinis in the middle of a housing project. I mean, really, wtf? LOL. I don't identify with that sh** not in the least and I would dare any one of them to try to represent me. Because they can't.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:36 AM

26,713 posts, read 41,929,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I see the point that some of you are making but that's only to name a few. Watch MTV, BET or any video show (on any station) for a couple of hours and the other guys far out number people like Common, Mos Def, etc. I haven't watched a rap video in a while and I had to laugh when I saw, hmm, can't remember the 'artists' name but some guy was sitting on his car with a bunch of women around him in bikinis in the middle of a housing project. I mean, really, wtf? LOL. I don't identify with that sh** not in the least and I would dare any one of them to try to represent me. Because they can't.
That junk ain't real and it's totally meaningless to real life. Half of those rappers couldn't get them women in real life (w/o all the supposed money). The only mainstream artist i really like is Clipse (mainly b/c they are from 7 cities VA) made one really good song Virginia. I think Nas (still keeping the real rap alive) got it right in his song Hip Hop is dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music