Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 01:40 PM

53 posts, read 42,919 times

Advertisements

One thing I noticed with guy movies is that more famous quotes. Also guy movies more rap/hip hop and hardrock/metal music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 01:50 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,678,559 times
guy movies have mafia members, ninjas, gladiators, boxers, plate mail, hooter girls or atleast girls that should work at hooters, blood splatter, slow motions fight scenes where guys do flipping flying knees into the side of other guys dome pieces and gunshots that are fired from the roof of cars. Dont forget fart jokes, d*ck jokes, and lots of boozing that ends in one night stands with playboy look a likes.

Girls movies have shopping, the TLC watermark at the bottom, guys that look like the dood in twilight buying roses and doing something romantic like riding in shirtless on a horse at the beach and wanting only to get to know the girl in question and nothing at all sexual. Dont forget long talking scenes where nothing at all happens, lots of tears and lots of good looking doctors that of course dont want the girl for their body but only to get to know her mentally.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:46 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,882 times
well, if you wanna score some ***** you gotta go to a few chick flicks once in a while

Old 06-03-2010, 10:54 AM

5,013 posts, read 10,692,515 times
I don't think there is such a thing as "guy" or "girl" movies. I think that both are general categories based on gender steroetypes.

There are plenty of films featuring women kicking ass that are appreciated by women. Conversely, there are plenty of films about sensitive men that are appreciated by men. Not every "guy" film has loud rock music and not every "girl" film has poetry, though I am sure that the people making such films are targeting those who love such ideas.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:31 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,882 times
whoah, that's deep

Old 06-04-2010, 07:33 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I don't think there is such a thing as "guy" or "girl" movies. I think that both are general categories based on gender steroetypes.

There are plenty of films featuring women kicking ass that are appreciated by women. Conversely, there are plenty of films about sensitive men that are appreciated by men. Not every "guy" film has loud rock music and not every "girl" film has poetry, though I am sure that the people making such films are targeting those who love such ideas.
I'm going to go ahead and have to disagree with you there. I don't necessarily agree with what the OP said either, though. There are plenty of films geared towards either gender.

Example: Sex and the City 2 is most assuredly written towards women. I doubt there is a big audience of straight men who would go see this movie if not on a date. On the other hand, a movie like Punisher: War Zone is geared towards men. There wasn't a big audience of females who rushed out to see that movie. There are exceptions, of course, but exceptions prove the rule.

Your statement is akin to saying that there aren't movies geared towards different races.

I fail to understand why it is offensive to suggest that one gender appreciates a genre of movie over another.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I'm going to go ahead and have to disagree with you there. I don't necessarily agree with what the OP said either, though. There are plenty of films geared towards either gender.

Example: Sex and the City 2 is most assuredly written towards women. I doubt there is a big audience of straight men who would go see this movie if not on a date. On the other hand, a movie like Punisher: War Zone is geared towards men. There wasn't a big audience of females who rushed out to see that movie. There are exceptions, of course, but exceptions prove the rule.

Your statement is akin to saying that there aren't movies geared towards different races.

I fail to understand why it is offensive to suggest that one gender appreciates a genre of movie over another.
I don't think that anything is offensive. However, I think that movies geared toward a particluar gender are the exception rather than the rule. For every Sex and the City, there is a Kill Bill. For every Punisher: War Zone, there is a Shawshank Redemption.

And for what it's worth, I had a straight male friend who loved the Sex and the City series. I have also known a lot of women who don't care for the series. So, I guess what I'm saying is that, while films are sometimes geared toward certain genders, that doesn't mean that a) they are the rule; and b) that the genders for whom the movie is intended appreciate the film.

What I really don't like about the categorizations is that they seem to send the message that "this is how men/women act" and reinforce steroetypes that really are not realistic and that confine people to behave only in accordance with their gender (i.e. if you are a woman and don't like Sex and the City, then you are not a woman. If you do and you are male, then you must be gay.) Not every woman likes to shop and gossip and not every man likes violence and destruction.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:17 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I don't think that anything is offensive. However, I think that movies geared toward a particluar gender are the exception rather than the rule. For every Sex and the City, there is a Kill Bill. For every Punisher: War Zone, there is a Shawshank Redemption.

And for what it's worth, I had a straight male friend who loved the Sex and the City series. I have also known a lot of women who don't care for the series. So, I guess what I'm saying is that, while films are sometimes geared toward certain genders, that doesn't mean that a) they are the rule; and b) that the genders for whom the movie is intended appreciate the film.

What I really don't like about the categorizations is that they seem to send the message that "this is how men/women act" and reinforce steroetypes that really are not realistic and that confine people to behave only in accordance with their gender (i.e. if you are a woman and don't like Sex and the City, then you are not a woman. If you do and you are male, then you must be gay.) Not every woman likes to shop and gossip and not every man likes violence and destruction.
They are just movies. The only power they have to reinforce stereotypes is the power the viewer gives them. I didn't say straight men couldn't enjoy SATC but most don't.

I also think that Kill Bill is geared more towards men than the average woman.

Of course, these are just opinions. I have nothing other than anecedotal evidence to back them up.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
They are just movies. The only power they have to reinforce stereotypes is the power the viewer gives them. I didn't say straight men couldn't enjoy SATC but most don't.

I also think that Kill Bill is geared more towards men than the average woman.

Of course, these are just opinions. I have nothing other than anecedotal evidence to back them up.
Well, regardless of the fact that movies are not real, they are still very influential. So, to say that they are "just" movies is really naive. All you have to do is look at the amount of dalmatian puppies bought after the movie 101 Dalmatians to realize that movies are very powerful in influencing the actions of their viewers.

And, unfortunately, regardless of how they reinforce stereotypes, they do, which is evident in the fact that you and the OP refer to "guy" and "girl" movies as those that typify gender roles and the "average" man/woman. You both have very clear definitions of what defines men and women, and I imagine that you have gotten a lot of those definitions from film and television, which is why both are referred to as "mass communication."

However, as you pointed out, neither are "real," which is what bothers me about them b/c regardless of they're not being real, they are still very influential and understood to reflect cultural values and norms (i.e. reality).

Old 06-05-2010, 03:42 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
You'll also note that it is very rare that a "guy flick" or a "chick flick" is a blockbuster. Focusing your film on a segmented audience isn't exactly a recipe for success.

One of the reasons that IRON MAN was such a huge hit a few years ago is because it appealed to kids, guys, but it also had a huge female audience. Lots of women not only went to see IRON MAN, they went to see it 2 or 3 times.

One of the reasons Sex and the City 2 will be on DVD in 6 months is that (as someone already pointed out) no straight guy is going to go see it unless his girlfriend drags him there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies