Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,497 times

Advertisements

Born May 27, 1911 - Died Oct. 26, 1993

"House of Wax" is the first movie I remember seeing. It was one of those 3-d horror movies which enjoyed a brief heyday back in the 1950s. The film itself wasn't bad; it was a pretty good scary movie. But what I remember most about the movie was its main character--Vincent Price. He was chilling! Just by lifting an eyebrow or projecting a certain tone in his voice, he could send an icy dart of fear right through you.

Of all the villains, monsters and dark characters of the movies, I believe Vincent Price was the best. He could project menace without the use of make-up, and he could play most any role.

Price's film career spanned some fifty years. He was an accomplished actor; but, as often happened with other fine actors in the 1930s and '40s--John Carradine and Boris Karloff among them--Price was stereotyped and trapped in the horror field. He remained principally an actor of the scare school.

Back in 1978, I had the opportunity to see Vincent Price in person. He was touring the United States in a one-man stage show called "Diversions and Delights," wherein he portrayed Oscar Wilde after Wilde's release from prison. Price brought his show to the Civic Coliseum in Knoxville, Tennessee for one showing only, and the place was packed. Price was simply great. For over two hours that mesmerizing voice floated and stabbed through the air.

I'll never forget that performance--or that voice.

Here's to you, Mr. Price--the master of menace, the king of sinister. You were one of the great ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 01:02 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I loved his voice.
Remember him in Edward Scissorhands? I am glad he got to do that movie; i believe it was his last one.
That would have really been something to see him do the Oscar Wilde show.
Lucky you for experiencing that.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:24 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,901,566 times
A master actor and the King of Horror in my book, but there is something about him you may not know.

As a man, Price was remarkable. Universally loved and respected in Hollywood, Price was known as a kind family man, a gentleman to friends and strangers, and having exceptional taste in art. Few people in Hollywood could have such a long career and remain so respected or beloved by Hollywood itself.

Most remarkably, throughout his life and at his death, he donated millions of dollars in artwork to East Los Angeles College, a community college in an underprivileged area! This collection formed the very first teaching art collection owned by any community college and remains one of the finest art collections owned by any college or university, public or private.

Take a moment to see this legacy at East Los Angeles College: The Vincent Price Art Gallery (http://www.elac.edu/collegeservices/vincentprice/index.htm - broken link). Despite his large body of film work, this is what he truly wished to be remembered for.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:51 PM

In his earlier career he was seen as a dashing leading man, starring in some big A-list movies and had the good fortune to be in two films of the Golden Era that have joined the pantheon of greatest films ever made; these being, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex with Bette Davis and Errol Flynn, and the brilliantly haunting Laura.

Personally, however, other than the magnificent Edward Scissorhands, my favorite film of his is the original (and best) version of The Fly.

When The Lord of the Rings began casting, I was saddened that Vincent was not around to take part in it because I think that, like Christopher Lee, who I envisioned as Sauron himself, Price would have found two entirely new generations of fans playing Saruman. As luck would have it, Lee got the role of Saruman and that pleased me no end. I suspect that Price would also have made the best King Lear to have ever been.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:06 PM

Ahh, Turner Classic Movies is showing The Tower of London right now and The Tomb of Ligeia will be on at 6:30pm EDT. Two Vincent Price classics in a row!

Old 06-11-2007, 06:19 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermac View Post
Born May 27, 1911 - Died Oct. 26, 1993

"House of Wax" is the first movie I remember seeing. It was one of those 3-d horror movies which enjoyed a brief heyday back in the 1950s. The film itself wasn't bad; it was a pretty good scary movie. But what I remember most about the movie was its main character--Vincent Price. He was chilling! Just by lifting an eyebrow or projecting a certain tone in his voice, he could send an icy dart of fear right through you.

Of all the villains, monsters and dark characters of the movies, I believe Vincent Price was the best. He could project menace without the use of make-up, and he could play most any role.

Price's film career spanned some fifty years. He was an accomplished actor; but, as often happened with other fine actors in the 1930s and '40s--John Carradine and Boris Karloff among them--Price was stereotyped and trapped in the horror field. He remained principally an actor of the scare school.

Back in 1978, I had the opportunity to see Vincent Price in person. He was touring the United States in a one-man stage show called "Diversions and Delights," wherein he portrayed Oscar Wilde after Wilde's release from prison. Price brought his show to the Civic Coliseum in Knoxville, Tennessee for one showing only, and the place was packed. Price was simply great. For over two hours that mesmerizing voice floated and stabbed through the air.

I'll never forget that performance--or that voice.

Here's to you, Mr. Price--the master of menace, the king of sinister. You were one of the great ones.
I remember seeing him on I think it was, the "64 Thousand Question." His subject was art and I think he won the big prize.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:49 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,224 times
I remember seeing House of Wax in the 60's when I was a kid and having nightmares from it, lol

Old 06-12-2007, 08:57 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Mr Price was a good family man and a bi-sexual.It was in an era where you didnt ask nor dare tell

Old 06-14-2007, 06:01 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I met Vincent Price after his performance as Fagin in "Oliver!" at the Dallas Summer Musicals. We had just done the show at my high school and we waited outside the stage door to get his autograph. When he came out we told him about our show and he took an immediate interest - "what part did you play?, it's a fun show, did you like this song" etc.

What a class act. I met many celebrities in those days and I have to say he was my favorite.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:53 PM

421 posts, read 328,192 times
Great Actor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies