Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:40 AM

8,331 posts, read 13,467,752 times

Advertisements

All that hype and the end result is not far from "disappointing"!

I can't wait for the next comic hero movie Hollywood will ruin...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 05:46 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,686,819 times
Saw it. Plenty of good reviews made me think this was going to be epic. It was far from that.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:11 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,335,107 times
I didn't expect anything big from this movie and it did not disappoint. It was okay though and maybe the next one or what it is going to lead into will be better. If u have kids u probably will have to see this one. My teen insisted and liked it very much. It is at least as good as anything else I have seen lately.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:05 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,329,058 times
Default Captain America...

I watched it last night...

I actually rented it because I wanted to feel good about 'America' again...and I know this sounds dopey, but when I saw the cover, it took me back to a time when I was younger, and it was ok to druel and cheer for the clearly defined good guy...

So I rented the movie in hopes that it would re ignite some of that 'love of nation'....

Now saying that...and after watching it...the movie character himself didn't make me feel any more happy about being an American than did the Spiderman series, or Superman 1,2 with Christipher Reeves...

For 2 reasons...

1. I saw them when i was younger...and more impresionable..

2. In earlier comic book hero movies, before universal culturalism got injected into everything, the heros showed more specific love of nation...
Now writers of these scripts seem to deliberatly delete any reference the hero may have towards love of nation and value system...
So instead you kind of get a watered down 'patriotism'....

It's not so much America their defending as it is a universal sense of good and bad...

Even though it was Captain America, I never really got the sense he loved America anymore than he did Japan or France or Australia...where as I felt Spiderman actually had more of a love of nation...

All that aside...

The movie was OK...

I break it down into two parts, the skinny twerpy pre C-America kid vs the transforming C-America hero...

The first part of the movie I found very authentic...the sets and all...infact they could of tooken it in a whole other direction...and left out the C-America part...and themed it on just some punch kid trying to get in the military...and getting beat up in back alleys...that in and of itself would of made for an interesting movie...

Also...i realize that todays younger generation don't really understand anything about social segregation and so probably weren't annoyed by how they depicted the 'A' team, so to speak of resembling the Star Trek bridge crew...

It's like the writers or directors went out of their way to include every single ethnicity in C-Americas choosen crew...

It was like a black man (of course), then you had an Asian, maybe an ethnic Irishman (couldn't tell)...and a few others with exagerated ethnic tones to them...

And to me it was so obvious what they were trying to do...but I just found it a bit historically dishonest and fake....

Troops were segregated back then...and for them to go back to that era, and act like there was no racial tensions, to me, cheated the film of true WW 2 authenticity...

Segragation wasn't pretty, but it was real...and they shouldn't leave that out, and act as if everyone was all cozy cozy back then...

Infact it would of made C-America more noble in my eyes, if inspite of segregation, he still choose his 'team'...

But if you watch the movie, you'd think there was more racial harmony back then, than there is now...

And again...I know the very young targeted auidience could care the less about that stuff, I mean as far as their concerned people had Ipods during WW2 also...

This concludes the first part of my review...will continue with second part here shortly...

Old 02-04-2012, 07:37 PM

696 posts, read 1,302,494 times
Did not see this movie, and not planning on it either. Captain America is gay, so is Superman (not that I have anything against gay people, I just don't dig movies about gay superheroes, that is all!!)

They should team up and star in an indy comedy about a yuppie gay couple in..say, San Francisco, or Downtown Portland. Now that would be fun to watch .

Old 02-04-2012, 07:46 PM

I've seen the Superman films and Captain America movie...and there was no indication that they were sexually attracted to their own sex...infact they all have female love interests...

Your comment makes no sense at all...like you just pulled it out of your head or something...

Old 02-04-2012, 11:28 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,272,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
Did not see this movie, and not planning on it either. Captain America is gay, so is Superman (not that I have anything against gay people, I just don't dig movies about gay superheroes, that is all!!)

They should team up and star in an indy comedy about a yuppie gay couple in..say, San Francisco, or Downtown Portland. Now that would be fun to watch .
You sure like hearing your self say the word Gay.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
You sure like hearing your self say the word Gay.
I agree with you...I mean why would they even bring that up on a thread that has nothing at all to do with that issue, and then plant it on the minds of everyone else...

Their behavior is not new...time and time again...people who obscess over others orientation, in the end, end up being whatever it is they're obscessed over...

In this case projecting their own orientation onto Captain America....

Thier one and done comment is just bizzar...and should of been told to their phycologist, rather than to us on this thread...

At least they didn't go on to share what they dream about at night...

Old 02-05-2012, 11:06 AM

696 posts, read 1,302,494 times
LOL...talk about obsessing, you seem to be obsessing a lot over a small post of mine, you responded earlier, now came back to re-analyze it...you are presenting yourself a a pro-gay prophet or something, while insinuating that I am gay....am I supposed to feel insulted by it? Who is the hateful one here? I just stated how I feel about certain comic-book superheroes, you on the other hand going on analyzing me while knowing nothing about me and calling me a gay as if that is supposed to be a bad thing!

I am not gay. But I have many gay friends and I don't see them as bad or anything, from what I understand it is a chromosome thing...and I am cool with it. I was just stating how I view Captain America and Superman and have no interest in watching their movies. It is an Internet forum about not-so-serious discussions on movies etc. so I don't see the problem here. That is all. So now you have to get all-worked up at the slightest opportunity of being a prophet? What a loser!

Time to move on, get a life Time and Space. OR you could sit here further analyzing a random comment on an Internet forum ...your call

Old 02-05-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
LOL...talk about obsessing, you seem to be obsessing a lot over a small post of mine, you responded earlier, now came back to re-analyze it...you are presenting yourself a a pro-gay prophet or something, while insinuating that I am gay....am I supposed to feel insulted by it? Who is the hateful one here? I just stated how I feel about certain comic-book superheroes, you on the other hand going on analyzing me while knowing nothing about me and calling me a gay as if that is supposed to be a bad thing!

I am not gay. But I have many gay friends and I don't see them as bad or anything, from what I understand it is a chromosome thing...and I am cool with it. I was just stating how I view Captain America and Superman and have no interest in watching their movies. It is an Internet forum about not-so-serious discussions on movies etc. so I don't see the problem here. That is all. So now you have to get all-worked up at the slightest opportunity of being a prophet? What a loser!

Time to move on, get a life Time and Space. OR you could sit here further analyzing a random comment on an Internet forum ...your call
Yes, I will analize you up and down, backwards and sideways...

Cause you made a comment that can't be substantuated about Captain America and Superman...

That comment came out of left field...after I had left a well thought out review of the movie, I don't like being followed by such a comment...

Captain America is not 'gay'...or at least not portrayed that way in the film...a geek yes...a geek who couldn't attract a woman, yes...at first, until he changed...but that don't make him gay, someone who actively seeks male companionship for pleasure...

Nor is Superman gay, or not depicted as such in films...

And yes, it's a forum...but there still has to be a level of credibility behind statements or...and you don't want that label...

Now if you fear Captain America paying you a visit at night...hirer security or something or see a shrink...let's get back to the film...

Last edited by Time and Space; 02-05-2012 at 01:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies