Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 09:08 PM

10,249 posts, read 15,959,086 times

Advertisements

For me, inspirational movies are either sports movies or war movies.

I think Glory Road was a great movie. The ending actually took place on my college campus though they didn't mention that fact!!!!!

Miracle with Kurt Russell was also amazing. The Miracle on Ice was truly an inspiring event. Same with Seabiscuit.

On the other end, I loved the emotions associated with The Patriot, Braveheart and more recently 300. I always swell with pride whenever I watch Mel Gibson lead his colonial militia against the Redcoats in the climactic battle waving the American flag as glorious music plays....and my parents weren't even born in this country. It makes me proud that because our family became American, we can inherit this history. I expected The Alamo with Randy Quaid to be very rousing but it sucked. Never see a PG-13 rated war movie. "Kingdom of Heaven" would be better if they weren't so sympathetic to the Islamic side.

I must add, though, there's a TV show called "Over There" that was cancelled after 1 season. One of the storylines involves a soldier who loses a leg in Iraq but still works hard to rejoin his unit, learn to walk and run again and return to his family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 09:05 AM

793 posts, read 3,123,855 times
I was going to remark, "Miracle" as well. Kurt Russell always has been one of my favorite actors and legitimately is one of the few actors in Hollywood I can see being a real good guy to know personally off-camera. I was SHOCKED how awesome of a movie "Miracle" was. Being produced by Disney, I expected soemthing far more cheesy and exaggerated. But it really told this country's greatest sporting moment in terrific fashion. It helped the younger viewer who wasn't around at the time, comprehend how the win over the Soviets transcended the country beyond sport because of the political climate and negativity that swept the country at that time.
The movie gave me goosebumps way more than even "Rocky" and was both inspirational and helps renew some of my aspirations to strive to be better and more succesful person in all facets of life.
The best part of the film was the pre-game speech before the game vs the USSR that Russell made, playing Head Coach Herb Brooks. Great moments are afforded by great opportunities....They beat us 9 out of 10 times...but not tonight.....we skate with them, and we shut them down, because we can!...you were born to be hockey players.... I'm sick of hearing how great of a hockey team the Soviets have. Screw them!......"
And I'm even a basketball guy, not hockey!

Old 05-16-2007, 09:36 AM

688 posts, read 2,838,284 times
Lord of The Rings!!!!!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:09 PM

18,053 posts, read 27,507,480 times
How about The Bad News Bears?

I'm biased because I lived 2 blocks away from where they filmed it in Mason Park, Chatsworth California.

I was about 9 years old and got to go down and see them film it. The mom who watched her husband beat her child in the face after aiming for the kid's head was our next door neighbor. There was a kid from my grammar school who played one of the ball players. I got to see Walter Matthau, Barbara Streisand, Ryan and Tatum O'Neil and many others.

It taught me that coming in 2nd isn't always the end of the world. This is contrary to todays media and economy. Unfortunately, it also taught me that it's ok for kids to knock back the suds

Old 05-17-2007, 06:33 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,646,232 times
I forgot to add "Cool Runnings"

Old 05-17-2007, 08:22 AM

688 posts, read 2,838,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I forgot to add "Cool Runnings"

Awesome pick! I LOVE this movie!!!!!!

How about The Green Mile? *tearing up*

Old 05-17-2007, 09:38 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,366,020 times
Rocky
Mr. Holland's Opus
Bad News Bears (original - did not see the remake)
(every parent with children in sports should watch this movie!)

Old 05-17-2007, 02:25 PM

18,053 posts, read 27,507,480 times
The Last Detail.

If you haven't seen it, you ought to.

I guess you could say it's a movie about character.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for the same reason.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:59 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,054,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
The Last Detail.

If you haven't seen it, you ought to.

I guess you could say it's a movie about character.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for the same reason.
Excellent choices. Cuckoo's Nest is a good novel, as well.

Has anyone mentioned the movie Rudy?

Old 05-17-2007, 04:17 PM

10,249 posts, read 15,959,086 times
This isn't even a movie but the music video for "Anyway" by Martina McBride really left a lasting impression on me. Its available on the CMT (Country Music Television) website if you search for Martina McBride. Its a simple video that shows strangers on a crosswalk and has their inner thoughts and inspiration and the song itself has a message saying that no matter how bad things may seem you should always believe in yourself. This also isn't even a very country sounding to those people who are turned off by country music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies