Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:00 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,109 times

Advertisements

I saw it last night, and thought it was pretty terrific. . . at least the first half. . . I was falling off my chair, laughing. Second have not as funny, too violent, but the "point" remains the same. So glad to hear "don't know". . . my religious motto, if you will, spoken so sincerely and so often!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 06:45 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I saw it last night, and thought it was pretty terrific. . . at least the first half. . . I was falling off my chair, laughing. Second have not as funny, too violent, but the "point" remains the same. So glad to hear "don't know". . . my religious motto, if you will, spoken so sincerely and so often!
Maher tells it like it is. I loved the movie it its entirety.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:03 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,410 times
I liked it. There were definitely parts that made me laugh. It's been a while since I saw it, though, so I couldn't say which specific parts those were lol.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:01 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Saw it, Maher makes some good points. He might have been a little over the Atheist curve with the "Christ is a egyptian fairy tale" thing, but he was really good in the rest of the movie.

At the very least, it should make one think.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:18 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,034,103 times
I always wonder about people who make movies like this. They demand that everyone behave a certain way or challenge what they believe. I wonder how often Maher challenges his beliefs? I would probably respect him more if he made a movie challenging his own beliefs. It's too easy to keep harping on the Judeo-Christian belief system.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:10 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
I always wonder about people who make movies like this. They demand that everyone behave a certain way or challenge what they believe. I wonder how often Maher challenges his beliefs? I would probably respect him more if he made a movie challenging his own beliefs. It's too easy to keep harping on the Judeo-Christian belief system.
first of all, he was not harping on the judeo christian belief system, but on any and all "religion". . . and he appears to be defining religion as a belief system based on "faith", with no evidence for it's proof, and no reason for any open minded observer to choose one belief system over another. He is advocating using your own (God given, if you will) powers of reasoning. . . not expecting people to behave in a "certain way" as you put it. His main message is "I don't know" and that, frankly, is the only truly honest answer anyone can give to these questions! If you think you KNOW, you are deluding yourself!

Old 09-29-2009, 10:37 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
Loved it, love him. Although I don't necessarily share his views on religion, he brought home his point with smartness and wit. I loved the fake Bethlehem scenes. So funny when the airplane flew over while "Jesus" was getting crucified. I thought it was bizarre in a funny way how the audience was moved to tears. I get very uncomfortable with that level of religious conviction, and I run in the opposite direction of people like that. Great film.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
first of all, he was not harping on the judeo christian belief system, but on any and all "religion". . . and he appears to be defining religion as a belief system based on "faith", with no evidence for it's proof, and no reason for any open minded observer to choose one belief system over another. He is advocating using your own (God given, if you will) powers of reasoning. . . not expecting people to behave in a "certain way" as you put it. His main message is "I don't know" and that, frankly, is the only truly honest answer anyone can give to these questions! If you think you KNOW, you are deluding yourself!
He said a couple of weeks ago on Real Time "he just doesn't know". A lot of people share his ideology, but they prefer to "hedge their bets". Maher is honest. More and more people in the U.S. are becoming unaffiliated with any religion.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:36 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
He said a couple of weeks ago on Real Time "he just doesn't know". A lot of people share his ideology, but they prefer to "hedge their bets". Maher is honest. More and more people in the U.S. are becoming unaffiliated with any religion.
Yet we are still considered the most religious country on earth.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Yet we are still considered the most religious country on earth.
Maybe so, but the U.S. is still a young country when compared with Western Europe and other non third world countries. We need a few hundred more years to catch up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies