Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:39 AM

643 posts, read 2,055,862 times

Advertisements

Call me a nerd, but I'm kind of excited about these.

There's so many of them coming up and when you look at the success of some of them recently (Iron Man, The Watchmen and Batman - we're going to choose to ignore Fantastic Four, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, et cetera, et cetera) there's a bunch of goodness that could be happening even for those people that aren't particularly into comic books. Even if some/most of them are awful, there's a decent chance there will still be a couple of keepers.

Green Lantern, Iron Man II, He-Man, Avengers, Hulk II, Shazam!, another Superman and even though it didn't start as a comic book - another Star Trek Movie, Thor, the list goes on.

Now, if only, someone would get on board (the 'right' way) and give The Sandman another go without trying to screw it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 11:56 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,638,002 times
They should put all 3 Sandmans (Sandmen) into one movie! Then we'd be cooking with gas.

I never thought I'd say this but I am getting sort of tired of all the comic book movies coming out. I will probably still go see them but honestly don't really care anymore. A few that I would care about:

A new Sin City
I think I read that Jonah Hex was going to be made. If done in a true western vein, that could be good.
Plastic Man might be funny if done by the right actor.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:06 PM

559 posts, read 1,758,889 times
and theres kick ass.... heard it might be good.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
They should put all 3 Sandmans (Sandmen) into one movie! Then we'd be cooking with gas.

I never thought I'd say this but I am getting sort of tired of all the comic book movies coming out. I will probably still go see them but honestly don't really care anymore. A few that I would care about:

A new Sin City
I think I read that Jonah Hex was going to be made. If done in a true western vein, that could be good.
Plastic Man might be funny if done by the right actor.

I'm not sure which sandmens you mean - I was referring to Neil Gaiman's, you know, the only one that counts which has been tried and retried, but he always pulls the plug when the screenwriters pull some sort of shenanigans and ruin everything. He has a version of Death: The High Cost of Living banging around somewhere (with Guillermo Del Toro on board, hmm, HMMM), but who knows.

And yes, you're correct, Jonah Hex, too.

But, they're good to see between super-serious movies. I don't think I could ever see two of them in a row. They're all spaced so far apart anyways.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:34 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,265,758 times
the last movie i went and saw in a theater was Gran Torino. the two previews that it showed were for Transformers 2 and G.I. Joe. and it occured to me that Hollywood evidently believes that people only want to watch movies about toys they played with as a child. and then it occured to me that these films are not so much movies as they are toy marketing campaigns.

i truly believe that most of these movies are awful, and that they will continue to make them because they seem to have a built in audience which demands sequel after ill concieved sequel. also, it often appears that the "comic book nerd audience" is often more concerned with what characters will get screen time on the next sequel than if the story makes any sense whatsoever or if the movie is entertaining as a film rather than just masturbation for nerds.

Last edited by Linson; 08-20-2009 at 12:48 PM..

Old 08-20-2009, 02:02 PM

I know that they've made comic books of Transformers and G.I. Joe (both of which were awful movies, by the way), but the idea of them did not originate as comics. Big difference.

And, I'm not sure which 'nerdy comic book types' you're talking to, but I for one (and anyone else I've talked to that knows their ass from their elbow), care about the stories being GOOD and less about who gets screen time.

Way to generalize and voice your mean-spirited opinion, though. Thanks.

P.S. I think they make them because Hollywood has run out of ideas - why not siphon new ideas from a seemingly endless pool of untapped stories?

Old 08-20-2009, 06:07 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,265,758 times
before you get your panties in a bunch, this is what i'm talking about: ive been on message boards in the "movies" section and when the topic is a comic book movie, especially a sequel, i hear more talk about what little known character is or isnt going to get screen time than plot. "oh, they better have Archangel in the next X men Movie!" "i hope Cobra Commander wears his mask!" i'm gonna be pissed if they dont have...Doctor...Destructo..." are you seriously gonna sit there and tell me that you dont know what im talking about?

and i dont think i was being mean-spirited in the least. they keep making more and more comic book movies because they make a lot of money, and they lend themselves to merchandising. i think that the movies are, for the most part, so bad that they are indeed toy marketing campaigns primarilly. yet the comic book nerds who i'm refering to get excited every time. they "pop" for everything. and they are usually disappointed in the end. sometimes it takes a year or two for the hype to die down before they can agree that they were disappointed.

i was never calling you a nerd or anything like that. but, let me ask you this:

Quote:
Green Lantern, Iron Man II, He-Man, Avengers, Hulk II, Shazam!, another Superman and even though it didn't start as a comic book - another Star Trek Movie, Thor, the list goes on.
why would you be particularly excited about any of these movies? Iron Man, Hulk, and Superman all had fairly bad movies fairly recently, right? i didnt see the Hulk after that first one. i saw Iron Man and thought it didnt make much sense, and the Superman movie from a couple years ago was one of the worst movies i ever saw. i think i only watched half of it, if that. so why would you be excited for more. Star Trek had a fairly good movie this year, but dont you the the sequel will be just a rushed money grab? and do the rest really sound like good films to you? if youre excited about these movies, then maybe you are a nerd.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:30 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,087,878 times
My husband loves all of these films. He is a comic-book (excuse me, graphic novel) nerd. I find them trite and rather boring and they all seem the same to me. I try, I really do, but I just can't get excited about comic-book movies. Seem to be all loud boom noises and CGI and in the end, little substance. Every single one I've seen I've immediately forgotten.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:18 PM

You sound like a horrible cynic, Linson. I hope you don't think less of me if I don't counter your opinions with my own. It's not that I don't think you have some valid points (I.E. Marketing cash-cow), but there's really, obviously, no point in our going back and forth where I don't agree. If I argued, would you change your opinion?

My point exactly.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:43 PM

3 posts, read 9,724 times
Hello nerds, I'm Mr. Seesraeu. To me, all these comic book movies are the same stuff. These movies are horrible. Marvel's movies in general have little to no acting, case in point all three X-Men movies which were garbage by the way and the two Fantastic Four movies which also sucked. Nerds will cheer for anything. That's the god honest truth folks. Marvel's movies are well below DC Comics movies in terms of story, script, music, directing and also character devolpment. In my review, I gave G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra a 1 out of ten because it was horrible and the only good thing about it was seeing Sieana Miller in a leather bodysuit. Marvel fans, if you see this comment and are put off by it see it any way because this is important. Marvel don't know how to make good movies. They only good movie that they have was Hulk from 2003. You nerds defend these types of movies because you're either living in your parents basement have a sexual fantasy about Storm and Jean Grey or watching Star Wars. Please nerds, don't see these movies anymore because they are horrible and they are lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies