Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:30 PM

69 posts, read 232,982 times

Advertisements

I personally still love the theater experience myself, especially the previews. Yes, I know I can just go on youtube and find it there, but it doesn't beat catching it for the first time at a show. Gotta love the huge sound, and just watching on the BIG SCREEN. Nothing like it.Now, what I personally try to do is catch it at a discount price. There are some AMC theaters around me that have $5 dollar admission anytime from Monday to Thursday. Personally, I like to stop at Meijer or Wal-Mart, grab some movie theater sized candy. Sorry, I usually eat candy during movies, but I refuse to 4 dollars for a pack of Gummi Bears!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 07:12 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
If you have a true interest in film, seeing trailers in the theater shouldn't be your only way of keeping up to date on coming attractions. If you want to see the trailers of films coming soon, try IMDb.com like TT Dave says. They have a section of the site called "Now Playing" which will tell you everything you need to know about the films currently in the theater and films coming out within the next 8-10 months.
I'm not "truly interested" in film. I'm not in it to be enlightened, just entertained. Trailers get me to see a movie I might like. Yup, they make them for me. I could sit through 20 movie previews before the regular movie comes on and mentally make notes of what movies I'll see and which I'll avoid, way before any critic types his review. Sometimes the previews are better than the feature, that day.

An urban critic liking or not liking a movie, is rarely a part of my criteria for seeing a movie. I sometimes use reviews to see what the movies are about (in more detail), not to get their opinion of them. But, I don't even do this, now, because the movies aren't on my radar screen.

I decide, "Hey, maybe I'll go to the movies, today." Then I look at the schedule to see what's playing when I want to go. Lately, I don't recognize any titles and none capture my interest. I don't go to the movies that day. If I ever see any of them, they're on TV (like HBO). Lately, I've been watching movies on HBO, Encore, IFC and Sundance that I've never heard of before.

They just fell off my radar screen because going to the movies perpetuated more going to the movies (for me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies