Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:27 AM

573 posts, read 802,169 times

Advertisements

I was an accidental extra in a 1975 CBS made-for-TV movie "Katherine, Portrait of an American Terrorist" about the 1968 police riots in Chicago. They also later edited the TV version and released it as "Katherine" in a few theaters. (This is one case where the TV version was better than the movie version.)

The movie starred relatively unknown actors at that time Sissy Spacek (what a spoiled brat she was) and a pre-Fonz bearded Henry Winkler. The movie was filmed in Tucson, Arizona (I was a psychology undergrad at the university.)

It amazed me later upon seeing the movie how a group of only about 50 extras playing protesters being tear gassed was made to look like thousands in Chicago by using creative editing and lots of cameras (including shots from overhead helicopters).

Last edited by Tennis702; 04-22-2009 at 07:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 04:24 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,152,331 times
Sure. I'm in Oregon, so I've been to most of the sites where they've filmed movies. Some good movies, and some not so good ones! Best known ones would be . . . Astoria, where they filmed The Goonies and Kindergarten Cop. Eugene and Cottage Grove, where they filmed Animal House. Brownsville, where they filmed Stand By Me. St. Helens & the Columbia River Gorge where they filmed Twilight. Timberline Lodge where they filmed exteriors for The Shining. Drugstore Cowboy ... practically the whole thing was filmed places I go by every day!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:13 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,863,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Sure. I'm in Oregon, so I've been to most of the sites where they've filmed movies. Some good movies, and some not so good ones! Best known ones would be . . . Astoria, where they filmed The Goonies and Kindergarten Cop. Eugene and Cottage Grove, where they filmed Animal House. Brownsville, where they filmed Stand By Me. St. Helens & the Columbia River Gorge where they filmed Twilight. Timberline Lodge where they filmed exteriors for The Shining. Drugstore Cowboy ... practically the whole thing was filmed places I go by every day!
I didn't realize that Twilight was filmed around the Columbia River Gorge. I guess that is why it looked a little familiar. Never did make it to Astoria, OR but have wanted to ever since I saw Kindergarten Cop. Been through and stayed in other parts of OR though.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:57 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,353,501 times
the year I moved to Chicago was the year they were filming The Dark Knight and I believe another movie (Wanted?). I actually walked into one shoot, the scene where all the crime bosses get rounded up and arrested. I saw all these "Gotham Police Department" squad cars and buses outside and saw some actors get walked out w/ cops. fun scene to watch though the shooting got cut short b/c a storm was approaching. I think the video below is the exact take I walked in on (damn, why didn't I have a camera!? though I was just going to pick up my mail down the street, I wasn't expecting walking into a movie shoot!).

YouTube - TDK Set (8/23/07)

around that same time period, I was waiting for a train in the Loop when I saw one speed by me, non stop. it had a ton of film equipment attached to the back of the train and I saw cameras inside as well, however the train went by too fast for me to see who was inside. I don't remember a similar scene from TDK (definitely remember the one from Batman Begins) so it may have been from another movie

the scene from Mystic River where Sean Penn runs up some stairs and finds his daughter was actually filmed at one of my favorite sitting spots a few blocks from my old place. fun little local teen hangout called the Bear Cages since they're are actual old cages from when the area was part of a large zoo (the current zoo, Franklin Park Zoo, is just right behind the trees not too far away). that area is also right in one of the more sketchy areas of Boston and not too far away from some housing projects, so I bet residents were surprised to see Sean Penn, Kevin Bacon, and tons movie vans come rolling down the street! check out the video below and skip to 1:55. the stone benches he passes is where I used to hang out w/ my friends after school and do...stuff! you can also see some the the cage bars in one scene

YouTube - Memorable movie scenes part III

I really should start walking around w/ a small camera on hand. there are a lot of movies being filmed in Chicago and Boston now

Last edited by eevee; 04-24-2009 at 01:19 AM..

Old 04-24-2009, 06:23 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,638,415 times
Oxford and the Cotswolds are some of the most popular locations for films and TV series in the UK so it is hard to avoid filming.

We did take a 100 miles detour whilst in WA a couple of years back to go to Roslyn where they filmed my favourite TV series of all times "Northern Exposure" which was fantastic and did some of the X-files locations in Vancouver, the place in Scotland where "Local Hero" was filmed, and a few others but usually we only find out afterwards that films were filmed there.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:47 AM

9,762 posts, read 3,417,257 times
I'm only half awake but the only thing that comes to mind.. one time I was visiting South Beach and they were filming the Robin Williams movie: Birdcage.. nothing exciting to report... just lots of extras and lots of lights and lots of road blocks.. lol.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:31 AM

9,762 posts, read 3,417,257 times
Ok.. so I'm remembering another movie, now, lol. I was stationed in Ft. Benning, GA when they were shooting scenes from Mel Gibson's movie: We Were Soldiers.. I provided medical support for a couple of days but never met anyone or really got close enough to see anything.. not very interesting... but there ya go!

Old 04-26-2009, 05:33 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,748,112 times
This thread is interesting as I'm doing some work as a contractor out at the Sony pictures movie studios in Culver city.

I walk by the stage where they film jeopardy all of the time. There's a big poster of Alex Tribec on the side of the bldg.

Walking around the back lots I've seen Jeffery Tambor, the guy from the Larry Sanders show among other things. Mrs Chow remembers him as the dentist from Three's Company.

I swear I think I saw Kid Rock, not a 100% sure though.

I'll check back in with further celebrity sightings.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:27 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,863,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
This thread is interesting as I'm doing some work as a contractor out at the Sony pictures movie studios in Culver city.

I walk by the stage where they film jeopardy all of the time. There's a big poster of Alex Tribec on the side of the bldg.

Walking around the back lots I've seen Jeffery Tambor, the guy from the Larry Sanders show among other things. Mrs Chow remembers him as the dentist from Three's Company.

I swear I think I saw Kid Rock, not a 100% sure though.

I'll check back in with further celebrity sightings.
There was a bar in Cody, WY that a few celeberties would go in a grab a beer and kick back. I know Henry Winkler was one of them. He was there one time and it was just a few nights before I went.

I also met the bass player for Huey Lewis and the News at a small bar in Stevensville, MT. He had just bought a house in the area and the bar was having it's grand opening so he thought he'd come in a check it out. He even played with the local band that was playing that night. The bar has since closed.

My Hubby waited on Harrison Ford at the Pamida in Jackson Hole, WY. At first he didn't recognize him as being Harrison Ford because he was so nonchallant (sp?) and casual, just like any other customer.

Bo Dereck was seen walking down mainstreet shopping here in Sheridan, WY back in the 80's. I think she might have been in that movie where the interstate signs got changed.

Prince or the symbol formally known as Prince (whatever he's called now) had his debut showing of Purple Rain at the local movie theater here in Sheridan as well. Some local teen won an MTV contest, then after the movie she and a bunch of her guests partied with Prince at the Holiday INN in the big executive suite.

Roy Clark of Hee Haw would go fishing at the base of Red Grade just outside of Bighorn, WY. My Grandmother worked for the guy who's land was up against the person Roy would visit when he wanted to go fishing.

Some friends of mine in Stevensville delivered the newspaper to Dolly Parton when she was staying at her vaction home up there. When it got really snowy or nasty they would have to drive up the long driveway and take it directly to her door.

I think my best celeberty sighting would have to be the Queen of England. She flew into Sheridan to visist some distant relatives back in the mid 80's. I got to watch her get off of a puddle jumper. I was able to be excused from school to see her land and get off the plane. Later on in the week while I was in school she walked down mainstreet and visited all of the stores and their owners and employees. She shook hands with people along the way.

I hugged Loretta Lynn in the parking lot of the local Wal-mart and got a signed autographed picture of her. I stood in the entrance of her bus while she did. She had her twin grandaughters with her. She is really short, so is Prince BTW. She was passing by Sheridan and decided to stop for a bit of a break and do a little clothes shopping because she didn't have a lot warm clothes with her and it was late Fall at the time. She stopped at the motel I was working at to freshen up. She had left before I came in to pick up my check. I gave one of her Roadies a ride to Wal-mart where she had gone in one of the two busses they all pulled in with. Then after he found the other roadie he was looking for I gave them both a ride back to the motel. Then I went back to Wal-mart and waited for Loretta. I didn't make a huge scene as I knew that she was there on the down low. She wasn't wearing any make-up or had her hair all fixed up. If I didn't know she was there I would have never recognized her. She is really sweet.

You don't have to be in CA or NY to see celeberties. They pop up in some of the most interesting and quiet places. When they do they are usually just trying to relax and take time away from the cameras and frenzy. I know Montana has become a hot spot for a lot of celeberty vacation homes. Quite a few have places around Jackson and Cody, WY as well.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:14 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,382,713 times
I took this photo last fall of John Jacob Astor elementary school in Astoria, OR where Arnold "taught" school in the movie Kindergarten Cop. It looked a bit different in the movie.

Arnold pulls up in front of the school on this street

A couple of buildings in Astoria that appear in The Goonies
The jail

I think this was the library in the movie but not sure since I haven't seen it in so long

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies